• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird 2015-2016

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With tram and Peruvian side down, Mineral being down too is just one more indication that Snowbird management really doesn't care about its spring ski customers.
I don't agree with that. They.started lifts early on two separate days we skied there, because it was snowing and customers were out in full force. Gad 2 was officially done for the season but they started that up again because there was sniff and customers. Creek side cafe was closed for the season do they brought out FREE coffee for customers booting up......
I think Snowbird cares

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Today was a marked improvement on yesterday. Even though the wind blew a bit hard at times the sun outnumbered the high clouds today. I got there at 8:15, booted up and hung out at the car till 8:55. I joined a twosome a few chairs back from the front and waited for the opening. I was rolling solo this morning so it was nice when I hear from the back, "Bob, you got room on that chair?" My buddy Vince joined me for the morning session, dude is a sick tele skier, it was fun trying to keep up all morning. He had to leave around 11 and I hooked up with the Firsttracksonline crowd and spun a few laps with those folks. They broke for lunch at noon and just as I separated from them my phone rang and it was my buddy Dibbs aka SkiFishBum. We spun some sun laps and then checked out his new ride with a few beverages in the parking lot.

It was crispy down low in the morning, but the higher stuff was still in good shape. Little Cloud was on hold first thing in the morning so we spun some laps on Gad2, the snow over there was in surprisingly good shape. The colder temps of the last few days and the wind has sucked a lot of moisture from the snow, even off trail was markedly improved. Regulator was in fantastic shape and Little Cloud Bowl had turned from crunch to softness. I quit skiing at 1:30 and Road to Provo hadn't opened at all. Early in the morning we watched a couple patrollers running a route kick off a fairly decent pocket on a ski cut above Hoops. They opened the backside gate off of Gad2 and the Avalauncher gate but the upper gate never opened. (As far as I know) The bottom was loosening up nicely when I called it a day at 1:30. Yesterday showed how spring days can be crappy at times, today showed why I still go up there every time I can.

Lotta wet slides coming out of the Doors.

image.jpeg

We were hoping to farm some wind sift smoothness out here all day.

image.jpeg

Looking down canyon from the top of Emma.

image.jpeg

Pic of myself on Regulator from yesterday.

image.jpeg

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I don't agree with that. They.started lifts early on two separate days we skied there, because it was snowing and customers were out in full force. Gad 2 was officially done for the season but they started that up again because there was sniff and customers. Creek side cafe was closed for the season do they brought out FREE coffee for customers booting up......
I think Snowbird cares
This year with the entire Peruvian side closed after April 17, Snowbird had to make SOME adjustments. If spring skiing were a real priority they wouldn't have started that tram cable replacement process as early as April 18 in the first place.

During the epic 2010-11 spring season Snowbird never opened Gadzoom as an alternate way up the mountain, even on weekend days with fresh snow.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I've heard two reasons why I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Reason one they started so early is they need the snow to give less friction as they maneuver the cable. Reason two is they were given this time frame by the company contracted to replace the cable. This isn't done by just anyone, skilled people are needed to splice cables of that size. I can believe they had to work with this company to achieve the best results cost wise as well as time wise.

They definitely blew more snow on the Gad side earlier this year, even to the point of it impacting how early they could get Peruvian open. If they again close the Peruvian side early next season I will be in your camp and complaining quite vociferously. But, I think they're playing the cards they've been dealt quite well.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
I agree that the cable replacement is a major project (once every 40 years) and perhaps the factors Bob mention dictated its timing.

But the routine annual tram maintenance has been done during May spring ski season in prior years also. Skiing the Peruvian side is actively discouraged by charging for extra tram rides and by minimal slope maintenance in Peruvian Gulch in late season.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Two weeks ago this was their spring schedule.

LL

Today it says this:

Monday, April 25

• OPEN: Gadzoom, Little Cloud, Mineral Basin, Wilbere
  • CLOSED: Aerial Tram, Baldy Express, Gad 2 (subject to open on busy days), Chickadee, Mid-Gad, Peruvian Express, Baby Thunder, Mid-Gad
  • Note: Due to the magnitute of the Tram cable replacement, Peruvian Gulch will be closed and there will be no skiing between Snowbird Center and Gad Valley or from the bypass road. Guests can ride the shuttle between The Cliff Lodge or Snowbird Center and Gad Valley.
  • Event Calendar
Monday, May 2

• OPEN: Gadzoom, Little Cloud, Gad 2
  • CLOSED: Aerial Tram, Mineral Basin, Baldy Express, Chickadee, Mid-Gad, Peruvian Express, Baby Thunder, Mid-Gad, Wilbere
  • Event Calendar
Monday, May 9 thru Thursday, May 12

• Snowbird is CLOSED for skiing and riding Mondays through Thursdays & will re-open weekends only (Fri-Sun) starting Friday, May 13 through Memorial Day, conditions permitting
  • Event Calendar
Closing Day is Currently Scheduled for Memorial Day (Monday, May 30)

I'd bet people that bought spring passes feel somewhat cheated. Perhaps there is some truth to Tony's assertions?

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
We're still skiing... As the years go by I find myself unable to sleep in, I awoke a 5 as usual and got out of bed at 6:45. I hung out at the house for a bit and headed up, arriving at the Zoom lot at 8:20. My buddy Travis had scored digs at the Iron Blosam and met me at the lot. We hung out at the car for a bit and still managed to score first chair with Chuckie. It was pretty firm first thing in the morning, the top half of the hill was not recommended.

We spun laps on Zoom and Gad2 with Zoom providing the best conditions. Mineral is sorely missed as a sun touched first couple of runs. Travis had to leave somewhat early and I quickly found Marc from Firstracksonline and skied with him and his crew until they broke for lunch. I've been lucky lately with scoring folks to ski with and Vince came by just as I skied away from Guido.

I skied the remainder of my day with Vince and friends and we milked the upper lifts as the conditions improved. Some parking lot libations and food provided a good end to the day.

Waiting to load first chair.

image.jpeg

The visibility wasn't too bad today, for the most part.

image.jpeg

Marc looking uphill for Bobby and Amy.

image.jpeg

The rain/snow line fluctuated all day.

image.jpeg

Possibly a bit of powder for breakfast?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it worth stopping to ski a day on our way home from Colorado? We will be under a time crunch, so we're not sure its in the cards, but Snowbird may be worth it!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Is it worth stopping to ski a day on our way home from Colorado? We will be under a time crunch, so we're not sure its in the cards, but Snowbird may be worth it!

They should have plenty of snow to last through the projected closing date. (Memorial Day). It's a bit different this spring with Gad 2 running and Moneral closed, but there's still plenty to ski. Today was the last day of daily operations, it's Friday throug Sundays from here on out, so if the day in question were a weekend day I'd say go for it!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Whew, wet day. I got there at about 8:20 once again, we geared up in a light rain and I realized I'd made a rookie mistake. I hung out in the lot yesterday with my helmet and goggles on in the rain, I foolishly left them in the car overnight. When I put my goggles on this morning they'd formed fog in between the lenses. I tried blasting them with the heater of the car to no avail, thus started my day of no visibility, heh. The rain and wet snow up higher just added to the no viz conditions.

We were first chair and then first chair up Little Cloud. There was about an inch of new dense snow and ground level clouds. Regulator skied great but you couldn't see where you were going at all. We headed over to Gad 2 and found much better visibility conditions. The Bananas/Gadzooks trees were skiing very well, the dense snow was piling up negating some of the crunch and frozen ruts. The coverage is good in there, the ski grabbing stumplets are all still covered.

We skied till 11:30 when we were all soaked to the bone. It was just cold enough to snow and just warm enough for it to stick and melt on you. It was rain on the lower quarter of the mountain and snow was a bit sticky down there. Gad 2 was definitely the best call of the day and what meager crowds there were seemed to agree.

What I looked through all day. (My 2 1/2 hour day, :).)

image.jpeg

Travis in the trees.

image.jpeg

Nicely spaced smoothed out trees.

image.jpeg

Travis tele turns in the trees.

image.jpeg

Happy Mothers Day!

TonyC

Pass Pulled
"Perhaps there is some truth to Tony's assertions?
Yes, closing Mineral Basin (and also the Gad Chutes) on May 2 is a significant hit. I can't say I'm surprised given past history.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
After the last two weekends I've tempered my opinion. From what I've heard they had to shut down Mineral in order to use it as an anchor for the cable pulling operation. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure? But, they have been running Gad2, which is a high speed quad using just as many employees to run. Gad2 has been skiing very well and I hope they keep it open in future springs.

I'm not sure why you'd be concerned they closed the Gad Chutes, those are the first to melt out and aren't usually open in the spring even in big years.

My car is packed up to insure the early arrival tomorrow, they've moved onto spring hours, it's now 8:00-2:00. I've got my grill in the back of the car and the weather is looking to cooperate. Corn and slush with a transition to hot dogs and chips.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Oops... On Monday Snowbird claimed they would be open 8:00am to 2:00pm starting Friday. I saw that and put it into my mind to be there early on Saturday. I told a buddy that was skiing with me to be there early as well, so, when I pulled up at 7:40 this morning to an empty lot I was somewhat puzzled. I called them and asked for the opening time to be told it was nine. We hung out in the lot for an hour and joined the line up. First off we headed to Gad 2 and found stellar conditions, we spun a few laps there while we waited for the terrain off little cloud to loosen up. We headed up little cloud and hit up the sidestep up Bonars twice to find just ripening corn. Soon afterwards they opened the upper gate into Pipeline Bowl, we hit that up several times once again finding tasty corn.

The Wave was seeing some serious action, backflips, front flips, helis, and any number of tricks were being pulled. We stayed high all day, lapping Little Cloud. The line never grew at all, it was pretty much walk on all afternoon. Regulator softened about noon, providing stellar turns all the way down. Little Cloud bowl was smooth as well, the weekday closures insure the bumps vacate even the high traffic areas.

I skied till 1:30 and joined a fun parking lot scene. Most of the traffic consists of the regulars, it's fun to socialize in the lot.

Arriving at 7:45 and wondering where everyone is at?

image.jpeg

Smoothiness out off Bonars...

image.jpeg

Small bare spot on Emma.

image.jpeg

Chilling at the Snowbird Stump under Little Cloud.

image.jpeg

#adjustagrill in the parking lot.

image.jpeg

Tomorrow may be a bit more overcast, but we'll be skiing!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
For every day like yesterday I guess you have to take one like today once in a while. I arrived before opener to a steady rain in the parking lot. We were hoping the rain would turn to snow higher up. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, it rained to just before the top of Little Cloud. The rain slowed the snow down quite a bit, everything off groomers was in slow motion.

We made six lift rides and called it a day, everyone was soaked to the bone. It's getting pretty thin at the bottom of Zoom, they only have enough snow to use two of the four turnstiles.

Didn't look promising from the car.

image.jpeg

Lotta stuff suspended in the snowpack coming to the top.

image.jpeg

Riding the lift in the rain making the best of it.

image.jpeg

Hopefully we get cooler temps and snow instead of rain this week, otherwise it may be tough for them to make it to Memorial Day

TonyC

Pass Pulled
"Gad2 has been skiing very well and I hope they keep it open in future springs."

Yes, I think Gad 2 would be good for late season: sheltered and mostly north facing. But I think normal practice has been to close it fairly early in April, similar to Supreme at Alta.

:golfclap: to the informative reports here.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Surprise pow day! I woke up early and heard the sound of rain outside, a glance outside confirmed it was pouring. I briefly thought about bagging it as the thought of riding lifts in the rain didn't sound appealing. But as this will probably be my last weekend to ski I figured I'd go up for one or two runs at least. It poured rain all the way across the valley and there was no snow line to be seen. It wasn't looking good as it rained most of the way up the canyon, to our surprise the rain turned to snow just as we passed White Pine!

We got to the lot at 8:40, geared up and joined a line-up of about 10 people. It continued to snow fairly hard all morning till about noon. The snow was pretty dense in the beginning and then the temps dropped a bit and the snow got lighter. There was some frozen counter up high but when you dropped lower the underlying surface softened up to make for enjoyable riding conditions.

It quit snowing about noon, I'd say they got at least three inches if not four to five in spots. I had to leave at noon to get ready to attend a wedding later this afternoon. Looks like there may be a possibility of a bit of snow tomorrow as well.

Not looking promising on the way up.

image.jpeg

It's snowing!

image.jpeg

Small line up of regulars.

image.jpeg

Travis making some pow turns.

image.jpeg

Myself having some fun.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh my! Vince is returning to UT today after a long business trip away. I bet he'll be at the Bird on Sunday and any final weekends beyond. Looking good Bob.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
If this was the end I'm fine with it... Next weekend I have reservations at Willard Bay, a local freshwater impoundment with your typical state park style campground. So,it appears today will probably be my last lift served day of the season. Just like yesterday it was raining in the valley, today the rain turned to snow a bit lower in the canyon, specifically at Tanner's Flat. It was snowing fairly decent in the lot, not quite as hard as yesterday but enough to cause a bit of softness.

We joined the line-up and rode our first chair with the Guru, Dave's a good dude and it's an entertaining time when you share a ride with him. At the top we joined Burke for a meeting about safety and then decided on a top to bottom run instead of a Little Cloud. It was pretty firm on the way down, we were happy to have foregone Little Cloud. Lower Bassackwards below Gad 2 was the best pitch of the morning, the early morning sun had turned it to corn first off, as compared to frozen reef or cord everywhere else.

We spent most of the morning on Gad2, finding some of the best snow on the mountain on Bananas. We moved to Little Cloud about 11 even though the cloud cover had stalled any softening. The meager sun that managed to poke through had softened Regulator just enough to make it the call. The Road to Provo held similar snow and we made several laps. It started snowing big flakes about noon, it was a wet snow but it added to the enjoyment.

My buddy Travis had to leave around noon and I once again hooked up with the Firsttracksonline crowd and had fun skiing around with them for the rest of the afternoon. After some parking lot glasses of wine I called it a season. Although I'm looking forward to sleeping in next weekend it's going to take some getting used to not skiing for a while.
Clouds rolling in and out this morning.
image.jpeg

Travis in the Gad gully.

image.jpeg

Beautiful afternoon.

image.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
What a weekend! I just couldn't stay away. Even though we were to be camping I made plans to leave early this morning in time to make it home and wash the campfire off me before heading up for the afternoon session of last day. It turned out to be a stellar day, it was sunny but not too hot to have caused a lot of stickiness. I got there just a little after noon and managed 7 lift rides before I called it a day and took in the fantastic parking lot scene. The feeling on the hill was festive, plenty of costumes, bikinis, and regulars. This feeling carried through to the parking lot as many seemed to not want the last day to end. A band set up and played in the Eastern side of the lot, they were still going pretty well when I left at 5:30

This was a pretty good season, we didn't quite hit the average but it was a lot better than the previous three seasons where we struggled to hit 350 inches. After having a pass at Solitude for 12 years this was my third at Snowbird. It was kind of interesting in that the first two seasons I concentrated on exploring the resort and skiing every inch I could. This season it seemed I skied with more people. At Solitude I had a group I skied with on Sunday's but most Saturday's I skied alone. At Snowbird this season it seemed I was accepted into the scene. I could roll up most days and always find somebody to ski with. It was bittersweet today to say bye to all the folks I probably won't see for next four months.

We made some good eats out camping, carne asada tacos...

image.jpeg

My four year old went fishing for the first time and caught an 18 inch catfish on a Sponge Bob pole baited with a gummy worm.

image.jpeg

We caught a few decent sized wipers.

image.jpeg

There was a creek running under the snow down the Gad Gully.

image.jpeg

The bare patches had grown.

image.jpeg

This guy came up and played/sang a few songs with the band, he was pretty talented.

image.jpeg