• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow Lore

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
It's August and all those snow lore/myths should be starting to show up. So how are your woolly caterpillars, mountain ash berries etc?

I pass 2 mountain ash trees on the way to and from work. They are just loaded with fruit! More snow this coming season? How about too much water in May.

What other signs of the a good snow season are you looking at?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I look for tractor-trailer loads of SkiDoo's driving westbound down the 401. Sure sign winter is coming. The more loads I see, the better the winter....I'm not really sure if there is a correlation, but the marketers at BRP must know something :crossfingers:

(when I see the SeaDoo's, its a sure sign of Spring)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a mountain ash right next to the house. The berries finally got bright red a couple weeks ago and the tree is loaded with fruit. But they do that every year, so I don't know if that means it'll be a good year for snow.

FWIW I got a lot of cherries this year, the plums are typically abundant but not record-breaking, some of the apples, pears and asian pears are loaded with fruit, a couple of apples and pears not so much. Actually the Asian pears are rediculous, I've had to so some thinning to keep some branches from breaking.

Lots of bunnies, which my dog is busy chasing down. I know she caught at least one. If only she could do something about the moles.....

It's really hard to think about winter right now. We are in the middle of a heat wave, temperatures in the upper 80's and low 90's for a few days and the only reason it's not hotter is because a lot of smoke drifted down from wildfires in BC. Weird to have smokey, hazy skies in the PNW.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find the bourbon bottle empties a little quicker this time on year.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I find the bourbon bottle empties a little quicker this time on year.

Naw...still working on the gin bottles. winter ain't coming until I get me another bottle of Woodford Reserve.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Use the traditional indian approach.
The more white guys you see cutting firewood for their fireplaces the harder the impending winter.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I look for tractor-trailer loads of SkiDoo's driving westbound down the 401. Sure sign winter is coming. The more loads I see, the better the winter....I'm not really sure if there is a correlation, but the marketers at BRP must know something :crossfingers:

(when I see the SeaDoo's, its a sure sign of Spring)

That is so true. Lucky for me, not too much time on the 401 this summer.

Use the traditional indian approach.
The more white guys you see cutting firewood for their fireplaces the harder the impending winter.

Or they live in Ontario with our lovely high electricity rates!!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I've got my cabin's woodshed jammed with dry wood, so bring it on. I've also been honking regularly in the tunnel at Money Creek on US 2 near Skykomish which is rumored to be a way to be obsequious to Ullr. I'm getting tired of warm weather.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I've got my cabin's woodshed jammed with dry wood, so bring it on. I've also been honking regularly in the tunnel at Money Creek on US 2 near Skykomish which is rumored to be a way to be obsequious to Ullr. I'm getting tired of warm weather.

Money Creek Tunnel always works sometimes.

Sponsor

Staff online