• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smith / Giro - Fogging issue

jbar86

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey there! Back after an 18 year Hiatus and dealing with all this new equipment out there. I have a new set of Smith 4D Chromo Mag goggles and my son had a new set of Giro's. I don't know the model of the Giros but the were $190 and came with 2 lenses. The last 2 ski trips, both our goggles were fogging up from the first run down the mountain. First day was a rainy wet day, but I thought I was buying the best to avoid these typs of issues. The fact that I have 2 completely different sets of goggles fogging up, has me thinking its a setup issue or not compatible with the helmet? Venting issue? No idea. They are both fogging up between the layers of the lenses. We both had to ski, both days, both trips with no googles. BRUTAL. I have found all the do's and dont's online to prevent fogging but nothing is lining up. Is anyone else experiencing this with these newer dual layer googles.

If you look closely at the pic, you can see my googles fogged up completely except the 1/4" around the perimeter. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Lens Fog.jpg
    Lens Fog.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 40

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a new set of Smith 4D Chromo Mag goggles and my son had a new set of Giro's. ...... They are both fogging up between the layers of the lenses.

If the fogging is occurring between the lens, then there is a manufacturing defect. The gas gap between the two lens panes should be sealed from the factory with no moisture. Or there is a leak that has allowed moisture to get in. I had purchased 4 sets on Anon ski goggles two years ago. One lens was fogging/freezing between the panes. I complained to Anon and they agreed to warranty the ski goggles.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the fogging is occurring between the lens, then there is a manufacturing defect. The gas gap between the two lens panes should be sealed from the factory with no moisture. Or there is a leak that has allowed moisture to get in. I had purchased 4 sets on Anon ski goggles two years ago. One lens was fogging/freezing between the panes. I complained to Anon and they agreed to warranty the ski goggles.

I am not so sure about that. I mean, last season I had my 4D mag lens fog up once.I placed them in a warm and dry place and fogging disappeared never to come back again.

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
I am not so sure about that. I mean, last season I had my 4D mag lens fog up once.I placed them in a warm and dry place and fogging disappeared never to come back again.

You are right, it can't be a perfect seal as the pressure needs to equalize with the outside air pressure. I took a closer look and I was wrong about the seal between the two lens panes. On my Smith IOX lense, it is a layer of foam that separates the two lens and there also appears to be some sort of breather hole (with some sort of plug/valve on it). So, there is no perfect seal, to allow the lens to be equalized to the air pressure. But the foam layer and the little breather hole should be limiting the moisture that gets in during a day of skiing. I have skied on rainy days (Mount Tremblant with about 1500 feet vertical) and didn't get any fogging between the lens. Though, i am anal about letting my goggles dry out overnight (and not stored in a damp environment).

To the original OP, to get rid of moisture, you can try placing your lens inside a plastic bag with a bunch of rice or other desiccant material to help draw the moisture out. Or you can contact the manufacturer and complain, perhaps there is a manufacturer defect that allows more air/moisture into the lens gap, especially as these are new goggles.....unless you have stored them in a damp environment.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or you can contact the manufacturer and complain, perhaps there is a manufacturer defect that allows more air/moisture into the lens gap, especially as these are new goggles.....unless you have stored them in a damp environment.
Two different goggles from two different brands both having manufacturing defects at the same time? Unlikely. More likely to be cause by environment and user error. Wet environment is always hard, no matter how good the goggles. Need to make sure they have proper ventilation, ie lining up the top with the vents on you helmet and not completely covering your nose and mouth with a mask/buff or anything similar - need to make sure when you exhale the warm air has somewhere to go other than being forced up into your goggles.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree with storage. If they were put away into a humid area, or put away wet/moist into a bag or gear bag that would do it.
If they get wet you need to take them out when you get in, hang them up to dry out, just like gloves, facemask or buff.

As far as drying them out I wouldn't do rice. Agree with @Tony Storaro
Instead you would be better with warm, dry and airflow. A hour in the sun would also be effective.

That being said, even if it was user error you could try customer service and they might give you replacements more out of goodwill.

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree with @jbar86 about the 4D's. My Smith 4D Chromo Mag goggles are a disappointing purchase for me. They frequently fog up. So bad in fact I did a no no and use cat piss or crap or whatever it is called. It helps a bunch. Beats standing in the men's room holding them under the hand dryer multiple times a day. What I'm wearing on my head and neck does affect the fogging. They don't fog up as easily on a blue bird 35+ degree day but then on those days I'm pretty much wearing sunglasses.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I have occasional goggle fogging problems, with both my visor helmet and my Anon M2 goggles. It is usually because of airflow problems, as mentioned above, with respect to my helmet vents, or my breath coming up under the goggles. And is impacted by how wet out it is.

That said, I've not had fogging between the lenses, except on one old, very scratched up lens. If you keep/store them dry and still have issues between the lenses, I would definitely contact the manufacturer to see what the expectation is and whether or not replacement might be warranted.

Sponsor

Staff online