• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkyTech and Sim.Sports: A New Way to Learn and Improve Through Technology

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SkyTech-Ski-Simulator-SkiTalk-Pugliese-Slider.jpg

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article SkyTech and Sim.Sports: A New Way to Learn and Improve Through Technology. Please add to the discussion here.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you happen to ask about whether there's any way to add leg/boot rotation into the equation with something like this? It looks/seems like it misses that aspect, and can't really be used to work on separation.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you happen to ask about whether there's any way to add leg/boot rotation into the equation with something like this? It looks/seems like it misses that aspect, and can't really be used to work on separation.
No rotation, it is pure carve but the sensation is definately there allow you to work on edge angles. While we only spent maybe 10 minutes on the machines, we didn't get enough time to really adjust, there is a mental aspect that you need to "let go" but I would definately like to get back and spend some more quality time or at least a full session.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The simulator looks like a really wide-track version of a skier's edge, albeit a flat surface, not an arc. My issue is that, in real skiing, gravity is the force that provides momentum. On the simulator, it appears that the skier still has to "push off" to initiate the next turn. Or is it different?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The simulator looks like a really wide-track version of a skier's edge, albeit a flat surface, not an arc. My issue is that, in real skiing, gravity is the force that provides momentum. On the simulator, it appears that the skier still has to "push off" to initiate the next turn. Or is it different?
I thought on the simulator you just tip your feet and it moves you. Though it's hard to imagine how that actually feels.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The article doesn't make it clear what actually happens? If I set a high edge angle does it wizz me across faster and a lower edge angle slower or is that dependent on what's going on on screen at a point in time. Do I need any muscular impulse to move side to side because I don't really need it on a downhill ski slope?

I'm fairly sceptical of these things because "gravity" and while I can imagine they would have benefits for bootfitting I struggle to see how they are meaningfully going to get someone fit for skiing (over and above alternate activities) due to accessibility and time.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like there is one within 50 miles of me... but realistically I don't think I would make the drive for it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought on the simulator you just tip your feet and it moves you. Though it's hard to imagine how that actually feels.
Kinda like you are skiing, and that is the goal.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
I have done this a number of times. The longer you are on edge the more force it applies against your skis. Once you get it going, it literally throws you from turn to turn and the force feels very real compared to actual carving. There is zero rotational component, so you would be turning only by engaging the sidecut and bending of the ski through edging. For me, the best part is having a mirror there in front of you. I don't even look at the video screen. I continually watch the mirror to make sure my upper body is quiet and my edge angles match exactly at all times. This will never replace skiing, but is an incredible tool to fine tune body movements with instant visual feedback. I highly recommend it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What's to stop you just massively edging every "turn"? Does the chicken bar adjust in height because the way Phil has it looks really bad for stance?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's to stop you just massively edging every "turn"? Does the chicken bar adjust in height because the way Phil has it looks really bad for stance?
Yes, they just had some kids on it before me and kids were scheduled after so we didn't change it for me.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I guess I'm trying to visualize mechanically what's going on. Is the ski surface moving beneath the skier? Is it responding to the tipping of the boot? How does that happen? I realize it's supposed to feel like skiing (or it wouldn't be called a simulator) but HOW that happens is what I'm curious about.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the ski surface moving beneath the skier? Is it responding to the tipping of the boot?
No, and yes. The skier is moved back and forth on the rails based on the input from tipping. The speed it moves you at is based on how much you tip. You can keep your body almost in place and let it shoot your feet back and forth if you make quick turns.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah I think you're on to something there. I read the OP Article and viewed the two vids and I don't see a way of completing a turn and then transitioning. A lot of short cross under type turns ( good for ski athletes to stay in tune/shape off snow perhaps? ) I don't want to sound too negative; it looks promising, and I esp. liked that they programed pressure management into various terrain and such. I see some slight femur rotation in the vids, but no way to complete a turn. Not sure it would be a good training vehicle for intermediates? It gets us to the discussion: do you turn the skis or do the skis turn you? Either way that track simulator it strictly left right-same as Skier's Edge.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Either way that track simulator it strictly left right-same as Skier's Edge.
If I'm not mistaken feet are locked into a side by side position parallel to each other on Skiers Edge machine.
These simulators allow for the boots to move forwards and backwards simulating uphill ski forward of the rearward downhill ski in a carved turn

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Guess I'd like to see some proper A/B testing. Take a never ever, get them really good on the sim then take them to real ski slope and, without additional tuition, see how they get on. My guess would be they would know how to edge strongly but not be able to control ski separation or fore aft balance and movement very well.

Can see how it works as an athletic workout for SL skiers and in developing fast edge changes in everyone else. But simply not as good as even a poor dryslope for everything else.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
No rotation,

Tipping your legs and moving your feet to the outside is a measure of femoral rotation.
My PT has me sit on a table and he moves my legs (one at a time) to the outside to measure the range of motion my femurs have rotating.

If you watch the videos the legs are definitely rotating as the feet go out to the side. It's simply not possible to have that lateral movement without femoral rotation.

@Scruffy's point about finishing the turn through adding rotational force may not be there, but there is definitely rotation of the femurs happening. That's how our hip joints work.

James

Out There
Instructor
Tipping your legs and moving your feet to the outside is a measure of femoral rotation.
No rotation of the ski. They always point the same direction, straight ahead. So they’re always at the tangent of some circle.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For the short time I was on it, when I pressured the inside edge of my outside ski correctly, I definitely felt the infinity move.

Sponsor

Staff online