• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skier's edge?

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone use one of these. Someone is selling an old basic model for $40. I have never seen one in person. Wondering if:
1. They work
2. They are durable
3. Provide a good pre-season jump start.

16298929_10212167026193437_6018116156961042014_n.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
1.Yes and No.
2. Yes and No.
3. Yes and No.

Much is dependent upon your current skiing ability, proper usage, your expectation, ...etc.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Be aware that the belts are only backed by Skiers Edge if they are less than a year old . That may seem like a silly fast wear rate, but it also means no machine older than series 4 is serviceable with factory parts .

The older machines give one a fairly non-strenuous workout, maybe comparable to cruising an easy green. This is different things for different people . Someone with hip mobility problems could easily find that a huge challenge . Someone who does other activities 3-5 times a week and expects to do advanced level skiing would be better off doing specific strength work and only using the machine for easy cool down .

The newer machines have a different range of motion - and no you can't get factory retrofit kits any longer - that make them a more targeted training tool. If you think you are a good candidate for ski machine training , and you don't have access to a gym with ski - knowledgeable trainers or eccentric training machines , those are the ones I can recommend . Older orphan machines are seldom worth the (non trivial ) labour involved in transporting them.
I

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Skier's Edge S4 Big Mountain I got off Craigslist a few years ago and I needed to replace the power band. They will only sell you a band if you have the original serial number. If the machine doesn't have a serial number on it don't buy it.

I tried both the original, low version and the one I have at a ski show before buying. I bought the taller version because I could tell I was going to outgrow the low version very quickly.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have an S4 that we picked up used a few years ago, and immediately replaced the power bands. Is it the only ski-related exercise you should do? No, of course not. But it is something "different" and IMHO does give you some muscle memory off-season. The one you have pictured looks very old, as it has the short bands (newer one double back and so are twice as long). Stay far away from that one. If you really want one, look for at least an S4, and as someone mentioned above, make sure it has the serial number on it. BTW, band warranty is two years. The reason they want you to replace them is they are made of rubber, and between usage and the rubber aging, that's a safe time period for them. Can you use them beyond two years? Probably, just like you can eat food beyond the "best by" date, or use bindings beyond when they are no longer indemnified. It's just at your own risk.

You can go to the website and scroll down to find "used machines"

Bruce Travis

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a Skier's Edge S4 Big Mountain I got off Craigslist a few years ago and I needed to replace the power band. They will only sell you a band if you have the original serial number. If the machine doesn't have a serial number on it don't buy it.

I tried both the original, low version and the one I have at a ski show before buying. I bought the taller version because I could tell I was going to outgrow the low version very quickly.
I have a Skier's Edge S4 and it has the original serial number. Who did you contact to purchase replacement bands, Please.
Many thanks.
B Travis
Heber City, UT

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a Skier's Edge S4 and it has the original serial number. Who did you contact to purchase replacement bands, Please.
Many thanks.
B Travis
Heber City, UT
Skiers Edge is in Salt Lake City, not too far from you. I would contact them on their website, www.skiersedge.com

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many thanks.
B Travis
Heber City, UT

I just saw this so sorry for the delay. Sent you a PM.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket version of the bands for the skier's edge? The bands themselves with tax and shipping are over $400

Carvetop717

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket version of the bands for the skier's edge? The bands themselves with tax and shipping are over $400
Gonna bump this one from a while back... would love to find a suitable alternative that doesn't cost a fortune. Would something like this be a reasonable shot?

I have no clue if the hardness and elasticity is a match but maybe someone has tried something similar.

dovski

Skier
Gonna bump this one from a while back... would love to find a suitable alternative that doesn't cost a fortune. Would something like this be a reasonable shot?

I have no clue if the hardness and elasticity is a match but maybe someone has tried something similar.
Unfortunately when all was said and done I just bit the bullet and bought the band from them. I am sure if you knew your rubbers .... etc. you could likely source the same material for pennies on the dollar and the only trick would be to cut the bands the right length. We bought our machine off craigslist for next to nothing so do not mind paying for the bands.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
A number of the D-Team people that I ski with are not fans.

If you are serious about training, best to get a trainer that is very skilled in ski specific movements.

dovski

Skier
A number of the D-Team people that I ski with are not fans.

If you are serious about training, best to get a trainer that is very skilled in ski specific movements.
To be clear Skiers Edge is not a magic bullet, but it does do a good job of working the right muscles and mimics proper ski form if used correctly. For me it is an element of my pre-season ski fit routine along with weights. It is also a fun way to mix up cardio on rainy Seattle days :)

That said completely agree that if you are engaging in hard core dry land training you want to have a trainer who knows there stuff with regard to training for skiing .... but for those who are not doing that (like me) the Skiers Edge will be more than enough.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
To be clear Skiers Edge is not a magic bullet, but it does do a good job of working the right muscles and mimics proper ski form if used correctly. For me it is an element of my pre-season ski fit routine along with weights. It is also a fun way to mix up cardio on rainy Seattle days :)

That said completely agree that if you are engaging in hard core dry land training you want to have a trainer who knows there stuff with regard to training for skiing .... but for those who are not doing that (like me) the Skiers Edge will be more than enough.

You have an amazing PhD level PT in Issaquah who is also a PSIA L3. She can help you dial in what you really need to do with objective assessments, and then design a program for you. Enjoy.

twa2w

Putting on skis
Skier
The warranty on Bands is now 3 years, at least on the newer models. My bands are about 8-10 years old and still going strong.

Newer SE are good for maintaining some level of conditioning, balance and building rhythm.
The mogul master platform is very challenging. When I put that on I have to drop the resistance down substantially - which is a pain to do BTW.

You can also do one-legged drills and other motions beyond the standard ski motion. Try doing 150 turns a minute without using poles if you have the slope simulator.

It can be fun to put on a ski movie or youtube instructional video and get a workout in the fall as you approach ski season.

The really old ones are kind of useless though and I would not waste my money.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, I agree. I consider mine to be for cardio and working the legs in a way that's similar to skiing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, I agree. I consider mine to be for cardio and working the legs in a way that's similar to skiing.

Have you used one with an HRM? With my S3, I could barely even get myself into Zone 2. And Zone 2 means spending hours on that thing. Honestly, I'd rather skate in the rain.

dovski

Skier
Have you used one with an HRM? With my S3, I could barely even get myself into Zone 2. And Zone 2 means spending hours on that thing. Honestly, I'd rather skate in the rain.
I cannot speak for everyone else, but I set my resistance pretty high, put a ski film on the TV and let er rip. Definitely get my heart rate up as I am able to track it on my apple watch. Form makes a big difference in terms of the quality of workout ... if you are in proper ski form it works you harder than if you are upright. My unit was an S4 that was upgraded to a T5. As @martyg stated this is not a substitute for actually working with a trainer or doing other exercises, but I find it gives a decent workout and definitely works some of the ski muscles ... but you need to have proper form otherwise the benefits are greatly diminished.

As an FYI when I was rehabing after my shoulder surgery and working with a PT we used a Fitter Ski Trainer. I had 6 months where I could not do any activities that could lead to an impact so had a late start to ski season. Did double duty with my PT both working on the shoulder and getting ready for a late start to skiing that year. My PT had me do a series of different exercises and movements, but we did incorporate the Fitter in their office and my Skiers Edge into this process along with a bunch of other things ... it worked well.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

No, not with an HRM. However, I have a treadmill and a rower so the SE is just part of my cardio.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me, too. I use mine purely for cardio. I have a bum knee and I can do long sessions of cardio without it bothering my knee. Does it help my skiing? I have no idea, but it definitely gets my heart rate up and keeps it there. Is it worth the money? That's hard to answer. Maybe not if you buy it new. I bought a used T5 model 5 years ago and I love it.

Sponsor

Staff online