• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Tuning Tools

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am at a point where I think it pay to do some of my own ski tuning. With 4 pr of skis and 2 pr for the significant other it adds up when going to the local shop for the full Montana, even with the 2 for 1 coupon.
So , Where is a good place to start? What are the good tools to own? i.e.. inexpensive , good quality, easy to use.
Tools like the trione , carrot, et al are very nice, but I think I need to start out a little cheaper and build towards that.
What are the essentials to have, and where is a good place to purchase them?
Are there any places in Canada? Exchange is a killer right now.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
A vise is nice. People do without, but it's doing without. Toko and Swix are common. Choose one more or less according to ski width, though most of the time I'm clamping to the binding or the plate.

Brake retainers. You can buy them, or make do with very heavy rubber bands.

For edges: a side edge bevel guide. You can get an adjustable one, but the dedicated ones are more reliable. I use a 3°, b/c I'm in the Northeast -- you can choose what you like (2° is popular). I like the SVST guide with a stainless steel plate, but people like other brands as well. You can start with diamond stones (Moonstones are expensive, but they last; otherwise DMT is fine) -- say 100 grit, 400 & 600, or whatever makes sense to you. Files are another thing. They're good for aggressive jobs, like changing a bevel angle -- but racers seem to dote on them for general sharpening; they buy new skis every year.

I'd leave base edges alone for a while.

A gummi stone.

Waxing: a real waxing iron is helpful. You can use an old clothes iron, but it's less accurate. You can start with a couple of bulk waxes -- a warm wax and a universal. You'll need a Plex scraper (not steel) and some brushes (nylon, brass, and horsehair are common).

I believe that's it for basics. You can buy kits that include vise, adjustable guide, stones, file, brake retainers, scraper, waxes, and ptex repair candles for reasonable money.

For individual items, I like tognar.com -- they have a super informative paper catalog, too.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Find a ski shop local to you. Go attend a ski tuning demo (usually hosted by SWIX) and pick up your tuning gear for way cheaper than you will normally find at "special clinic pricing".

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
I am at a point where I think it pay to do some of my own ski tuning. With 4 pr of skis and 2 pr for the significant other it adds up when going to the local shop for the full Montana, even with the 2 for 1 coupon.
So , Where is a good place to start? What are the good tools to own? i.e.. inexpensive , good quality, easy to use.
Tools like the trione , carrot, et al are very nice, but I think I need to start out a little cheaper and build towards that.
What are the essentials to have, and where is a good place to purchase them?
Are there any places in Canada? Exchange is a killer right now.

1) Tuning isn't rocket science. There are a lot of videos out there to teach you.
2) You aren't racing so a lot of equipment isn't necessary. A file or two and some stones, file guides, a vice (homemade or purchased), etc. is most of what you needs. You might as well go all the way and get waxing and base repair tools, too.
3) The initial outlay seems expensive, but some of the purchases will last for decades. The vice and guides will last forever. Good files will last a really long time since they are rarely used (usually to set an edge). Polishing stones, a gummi, etc. need to be occasionally replaced as they wear out.
4) KUU is in Canada and sells quality tools. You can purchase from lots of specialty shops almost anywhere in the USA or Canada and get reasonable prices during sales. You might as well support the people/shops posting here since they offer lots of free advice.
5) There is a thread on PUGSKI for people showing off their shop photos/tuning benches. Check it out for some good ideas: https://forum.pugski.com/threads/shop-pictures.3329/
6) It will be much easier to set all you skis with the same base and side bevels. Usually, a 1/2 or 1/3 works for most people for all around skiing. Everyone has their own opinion what works best, and it is hard to go wrong with the factory suggested bevels.
7) The basic multi-tool side bevel things actually do a decent job. I take one while on vacation, and can see a novice tuner using one.

Last edited:

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
Tools = SVST! These are the best I've found... very good quality and a step above the others! For now, unless you damage your edges frequently worry about waxing, buy a good set of brushes and iron and you are good to wax your skis, remember waxing will be needed much more often than edge work! Also buy a good scraper and a sharpener a sharp scraper makes life easier!

For vise I made my own using 2x4 and 2x6 plus a few things here and there, lots of info on how to make a good one if you google! I couldn't really find a visa tat I really liked so decided to make my own.

After that unless you have a good reason to use different base/side angles, decided what you want and stick with it so you only need one bevel. 1 base / 2 side is a good start that will work very well unless you are racing, if you don't know or are not comfortable setting the angles ask a shop to set the angles for you and you just need to work on keeping the edges in good shape!

For bevel, again SVST! I don't see a reason to use files, so I only use diamond stone and they do the job well for edges!

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All very good , thanks
Are there any brands or things I shouldn't bother with , or should stay away from? Edge guides or bevellers? Files or diamond stones? Is the popular concensus to use diamond stones ?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
You do get what you pay for. SVST tools are more expensive but the quality is top notch. A World Cup diamond stone costs more however has a better quality diamond sheet and metal backing (vs plastic).
You'll only need a 200 and 400 grit if you aren't racing.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Use a metal file to set bevel, diamond files and ceramics keep them sharp.

Basically I do base and edge beginning of season with metal file and then use diamond during the season.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer the homemade double with vice blocks versus a purchased vise. I do hundreds of skis a year and really don't like the single vices. I'm sure I am in the minority here.
@SlideWright has good products and prices.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd stay away from bevel guides with rollers. I used to like them, but have replaced them. They seemed to allow debris to get rolled into the bases. The flat plate either doesn't allow stuff to fall there or shaves it away somehow. Just know the problem is gone. For different angles, I have the kind of guides that accept shims to change the angle instead of buying a guide for each angle. It's a little cheaper.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
All good advice ^^^^^. What I normally advise people to do is to keep in simple, in terms of what you buy, but buy top quality that will last. Buy the right tools for the specific job.
If all of your skis will be tuned with a 1 degree base and 3 degree side bevel, for example that is two tools.

This will not be cheap, but you can spend as much and do it wrong. I'm not going to add my list. I have been at this a LONG time. 50 plus years. I took a friend through this and gave him my suggestions on where to source things.

My local tuning shop sets up dozens of race families and enthudiasts with the basic stuff, at reasonable prices.

And there are a number of online options who will also will also spend plenty of time on the phone helping you out. At least a half dozen.

Quality is key. It lasts. At one point my family has 30+ pairs of skis in our tuning room each winter, and at least 2-3 pairs were being touched up every night. That was starting about 15 years ago, and all of the steel tools, SVST guides, etc. are still in use. Good itins last for thousands of wax sessions.

PM me if I can help, or get confused.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
For side bevels, I'm a big fan of the "Side of the BEAST" guide. Not exactly cheap, but you can buy additional angle shims at modest price. If you have to maintain different side edge angles on different skis then this could be the cheaper solution - rather than a drawer full of traditional guides dedicated to different angles. Anyway, I've probably tried most of the manual side edge sharpening tools over the years and (for me) this tool is just simpler & more efficient to use than the traditional side bevel guides.

James

Out There
Instructor
For side bevels, I'm a big fan of the "Side of the BEAST" guide. Not exactly cheap, but you can buy additional angle shims at modest price. If you have to maintain different side edge angles on different skis then this could be the cheaper solution - rather than a drawer full of traditional guides dedicated to different angles. Anyway, I've probably tried most of the manual side edge sharpening tools over the years and (for me) this tool is just simpler & more efficient to use than the traditional side bevel guides.
I like the Beast too. Some don't because of the center screw. But then they use a clamp on another guide. The screw does limit placement of stones or files but not a big deal.
I now have two so it's quicker to go from file to stone or say 200 to 400 grit. I really need another though...:)

Don't get the cheaper plastic version. I've got one lying around I got years ago for family going on a trip. Never gets used. Either get the aluminum one or go a different way. Tools should have a certain level of quality if one is to spend so much time with them.

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
I see your are in Toronto, skis and bikes carries a to assortment of tunning products. One of the companies is Sidecut which are Canadian from BC. Also in the east end of Toronto is Kuu Sport.
Ross

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Short answer.. no. I have machinists files and arkansas stone for my chisels, but nothing for skis.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight