• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Marketing

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Back at the turn of the century post internet bubble I teamed up with another dot.com to create a short lived ski industry marketing consultancy (big fancy words).

You know how you think working in a sport you love will be better than working for a widget company? Well... it isn't always the case. Our premise was that most ski marketing was aimed at the youthful macho jock personality while most of the buying power resided with intermediate boomers... and that ski manufacturers and ski areas should step up and create ads and collateral aimed at the newer and more human level skiers. We did our homework, talked to people throughout the industry, made numerous calls and visits. And finally got a well-known ski client.

Whose home office said Nein Nein Nein to virtually everything down to whether they could blow their noses in the office. It was nuts.

That plus a bunch of other sketchy encounters with people who basically wanted to get free ideas and copy them - or companies that had amazingly tiny marketing budgets - led to a departure back to the now welcome widget companies. I love widgets! And companies that do what they say and pay their bills and operate like professionals.

BTW I did something similar with the bicycling industry too with equal results. Thick headed but I eventually learned my lesson.

FrozenConcept02a.jpg
FrozenConcept02b.jpg
FrozenConcept02c.jpg

If you are successful in the ski business, I think it's because you're hands on and DIY.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well you were probably dead on but it's not an industry that believes in taking risks or is awash with marketing cash. Plus picking on a Shane ad is like picking on Pele in terms of status within the sport.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Well you were probably dead on but it's not an industry that believes in taking risks or is awash with marketing cash. Plus picking on a Shane ad is like picking on Pele in terms of status within the sport.

Well we were going for his competitors (these only went to a handful of people).

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and your point would be....?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

90% of people that ski NEVER heard of him...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Our premise was that most ski marketing was aimed at the youthful macho jock personality while most of the buying power resided with intermediate boomers... and that ski manufacturers and ski areas should step up and create ads and collateral aimed at the newer and more human level skiers.

I really enjoy lurking at slopefillers.com Lots of interesting ski marketing stuff on that site.
Gregg Blanchard, who runs that site often makes a pitch along the lines of yours above.

Sponsor

Staff online