• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski differences and performance

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Yes, I know it's the beginning of summer and have plenty of golfing and running to do, Yet before we know it, football, then ski season will be upon us. So I have lingering questions. I haven't skied in 14 years. Then using 2000 X-Scream Series, so skis are MUCH different nowadays. Read your 2018 ski reviews. Liked what you said about the RTM 81 and Vantage 90. Is there really much of a difference between the 2, waist, handling in conditions? I will ski 90% groomed in upstate NY and lower VT, occasionally Whiteface and norther VT. Looking for something for middle of day, loose, ungroomed kicked around piles. The Volkls should do this. NOW, I know we don't get powder here. Yet willing to play around off piste, fresh snow(can't amount to many inches here), maybe cutting through trees from one trail to another, even riding the ungroomed trail edges. Would a size of the Vantage 90 be much better than the 81s? Would the Vantage 100s be even better. Like someone said in the now deceased Bear Forums, I want a ski, or skis, for WHERE I ski, not for what I think I will or want to ski. Or should I skip the 81s, get the all mighty Kastle MX74s for most of my skiing, then for other times, use the Vantage 90/100, or Kendos? I wouldn't mind a one ski Kastle quiver, yet want something to make short, quick turns, I assume having a small ski radius.
Thanks in advance.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
New boots fitted by a great bootfitter. Incredible improvements in fit and warmth.

85-90 waist is perfect for the East.

Rockered with camber.

Today's more advanced skis are so easy to turn, consider the RTM 84 and the Brahmas.

Demo after you have your new boots.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi @Eddie - You may want to add a bit more info, in order to get more precise suggestions.
  • What's your background? Were you a racer? What was your ski level before this little resting period?
  • Height/weight might help
  • Did you get new boots? @karlo 's suggestion above.
Happy for you, that you are getting back to skiing!

TS
E

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Hi @Eddie - You may want to add a bit more info, in order to get more precise suggestions.
  • What's your background? Were you a racer? What was your ski level before this little resting period?
  • Height/weight might help
  • Did you get new boots? @karlo 's suggestion above.
Happy for you, that you are getting back to skiing!
Racer??? I just like cruising at relaxed speeds. Mostly steep blues. I used to do easy blacks. Funny thing, I was fine on blacks on my old skinny Olin DTSL(208 in length), easy to make any turns. Then I bought the Sallies. Did not take to these well. Every time on steeps, I fell, not completing my turns. Either they were too long,(187s), boots
were too stiff(Salomon X Wave 10s), or just not skiing well. Then got married(wife didn't ski, yet went a few time). Then money financially couldn't go much, and lost my job in 2007 and out of work most of the time.
6" tall. Now 250ish, hope to get down to 200 - 210 by season.
Got fitted for new boots in fall of 2012. Yet they are still in box, out of work again, no skiing.
Been out of work again since March of 2014. In a positive mood, hoping to find work to at least go a few times. Will take private lessons again, as I did each year of when I did ski.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Racer??? I just like cruising at relaxed speeds. Mostly steep blues. I used to do easy blacks. Funny thing, I was fine on blacks on my old skinny Olin DTSL(208 in length), easy to make any turns. Then I bought the Sallies. Did not take to these well. Every time on steeps, I fell, not completing my turns. Either they were too long,(187s), boots
were too stiff(Salomon X Wave 10s), or just not skiing well. Then got married(wife didn't ski, yet went a few time). Then money financially couldn't go much, and lost my job in 2007 and out of work most of the time.
6" tall. Now 250ish, hope to get down to 200 - 210 by season.
Got fitted for new boots in fall of 2012. Yet they are still in box, out of work again, no skiing.
Been out of work again since March of 2014. In a positive mood, hoping to find work to at least go a few times. Will take private lessons again, as I did each year of when I did ski.

I think between this post and the OP you have given great info for the crew to help. Tagging the big guns: @Philpug , @Sierrajim , @markojp

If I were you, I would be looking for a frontside all mountain like @karlo was suggesting above, rockered and cambered, in the 85/90 range. I would get them tuned at a good shop, ski a few times, see how the muscle memory comes back, where my body weight stabilizes, how my boots feel, etc. There is plenty of time from now until the season, so once you have an idea, you can shop for deals, etc.

Anyways, I'll let the experts give real suggestions. Best luck with this, and with the job hunt :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I demoed a pair of x-screams on eastern hard pack back in the day. Those skis may have been great in soft snow; I never tried them in soft snow. They were terrible on hardpack, no torsional rigidity required for grip, and at speed they had the stability of a 4-year-old's tricycle.
You should get a traditional full-cambered 70-ish mm wide ski for your hard snow conditions AND a 95-ish mm wide ski with tip rocker and tail rocker for your soft snow ski.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Another eastern skier here....I ski 68 or 74mm underfoot tuned down race ski. For "powder days" I have an 88mm. All Rossi. The X-scream was a great ski in it's time. But it's time has come and gone.

Never have had a chance to ski Volkl, but Atomic - yes. I have on order a pair of Vantage 95W. Demo'd them in WB. Great for that place, not going to be a daily driver in the east. Need something stiffer.

Some to try:
Rossi Experience 84 HD
Vantage X 83 - this ski is stiffer than the Vantage
Salomon X-Drive

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
like cruising at relaxed speed

Many resorts have a demo day earlier in the season. Reps set up tents at the base. Or, find a shop close to base that demo's the skis you want to try and swap out skis after a couple runs.

Based on ur description, the one ski choice I suggest are:

Rossi Experience 88 HD
Volkl RTM 84 UVO
Volkl RTM 86 UVO (has metal layers)
Blizzard Brahma (16/17 has metal, 17/18 has, to me, confusing multiple versions)

Consider buying last season's demo ski. I got a Brahma in April, w demo bindings, for, wait for it, $350 Canadian! Times 0.75 for USD.

Sponsor

Staff online