• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Car, Full Contact Vehicle or Pampared Pristene?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What lengths do you go to to keep your ski car free of dings and scratches? From the day mine rolled off the lot I treated it like it was a red headed step child slamming skis, bikes, camping gear, surfboards, etc all over it. I'd prefer others in the parking lot give it some respect, but don't freak out at all if a cart hits it or a friend chips the paint with their skis.

Couple of battle scars..

Ski box side, scratches and dings all along this door. One day I may break the mirror from dropping skis down and slamming them against it.
18199481_1663702560311942_1673473704967688340_n.jpg

5 years ago the bike tray broke loose back side and slammed the side all around the door. Front wheel was still connected at the front bar anchor but back broke totally loose. I thought a deer hit the car until I saw the bike banging against the door Glad the window didn't shatter but other than that I laughed and didn't give a crap about the dents and chipped paint. Just sprayed over them to keep it from rusting and good to go!
18300882_1663702736978591_6560572077625279746_n.jpg

Do you stress over the wear and tear skiing puts on your ski car or do you stress more about just getting from the car to the lifts/play grounds and back in the car as quickly as possible regardless of a few extra dings?

Photos of incidental contact if you have them!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
When I lived in New Jersey, home of massive parking lots, I always parked in the back 40. Here, however, there is no parking lot that is truly so large (especially at the ski area) that you won't get parked next to, CLOSE, along with people carrying lots of crap like ski poles and skis, so I already had a ding from this jerk who decided to squeeze into a space big enough for a motorcycle by 800 miles on my odometer. I didn't see it right away because of all the mud, but I remember him because I had a hard time getting in my car and the ding has red paint like he did. :(

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What is "pampered pristine"?

My father in law had a 53 Eldorado convertible that he took on the car show circuit. Not fun to drive (in and out of the trailer) (OK, the parades were kind of fun). No utility. I now hate show cars.

I now use and abuse anything I drive. It's just transportation.

20170424_102407.jpg

Typical loading!

Eric

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm more worried about the upholstery than the out side. I've been keyed in parking lots...so what ever!! But I work construction, so it'll get a few nicks etc inside. My new Equinox has rubber "winter" foot mats....Really I'm sure the "summer" carpet ones won't come out of the plastic. I boat all summer...sand, dirt whatever gets in the truck.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We buy a new AWD minivan for skiing, windsurfing and mtb about every 8 years, and let whatever happens happen.

Try to avoid bondo, but we do get scratches/dings touched up by a good local pro.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I generally try to keep my vehicles clean. You never know when you need to sell one to fit a different need, ie another kid. :D And I just generally have an OCD thing for cars, motorcycles and bicycles..I wanna choke the life out of people when they neglect to wipe down their bikes after a ride!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And I just generally have an OCD thing for cars, motorcycles and bicycles..I wanna choke the life out of people when they neglect to wipe down their bikes after a ride!

Road bike -- agree.

But mtb?! If I kept my mtb super clean, I'd have to give it a thorough bucket wash after every single ride, which just isn't going to happen.

The drivetrain is a different question. It gets the full TLC every 5 hours of riding.

Sorry for the thread drift!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
My car is a mud ball all ski season. I drive up to the mountain several times per week and if I clean it it's dirty again in just a few hours. I try not to damage the paint, but skiing is my first priority and the looks of my ride are way down the list.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
And lemme just say, I'm not really judging..I recognize my OCD! :roflmao: So whatever floats your boat! But I'm not riding if your car if there's pizza on the seat from last week!!! :D

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
My favorite ski car was a 1992 Ford Tempo 4 door with a 4 speed stick and 4 Blizzaks. Good mileage (for the time), FWD, good ground clearance, easy to drive in the snow and not valuable enough to worry about burying it in a snow bank. I would leave your AWDs behind every time.
I don't think I need to tell you whether I pampered it or not.

dm

Posaune

sliding
Skier
And lemme just say, I'm not really judging..I recognize my OCD! :roflmao: So whatever floats your boat! But I'm not riding if your car if there's pizza on the seat from last week!!! :D
No pizza. I don't eat in the car often, but there is a layer of real dirt because I also own a farm, but I don't live there, so I have to commute and muddy boots have been known to pass the threshold a time or two. I have a full set of rubber mats, though. It cleans up nicely when I feel like it.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine gets used and abused. It's got several dings that at first bothered me but I've mostly gotten over them. I keep thinking I'll get her detailed but somehow that never seems to happen. I do, however, need a good full exterior/interior wash after the Mother's Day activities.

I took my mountain bike into the shop for it's 30 day after purchase (yes, it's been more than 30 but life) adjustments and the guy told me he was happy to see that it was dirty/muddy as spotless mountain bikes make him suspicious. :P

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My favorite ski car was a 1992 Ford Tempo 4 door with a 4 speed stick and 4 Blizzaks. Good mileage (for the time), FWD, good ground clearance, easy to drive in the snow and not valuable enough to worry about burying it in a snow bank. I would leave your AWDs behind every time.
I don't think I need to tell you whether I pampered it or not.

dm

I had several two wheel drives, both rear and front, which is better. I never required a rescue or tow out of the ditch. That said, whatever winter driving skills a person has are aided greatly by AWD. Good tires and AWD>Good tires and FWD all other things, driver skills, considered.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The S.S. Pugski aka "Jake" (Yukon XL) is our truck, skis go in and out at a furious pace. There are some scratches on the sides from skis sliding....my bad... and the seats have foot prints from accessing the Thule, again my bad.... The Golf Alltrack aka "Elwood" is being cared for but with a quick 10,000 mikes put on it, it has had it's share of skis in and out of it alot too. I am trying to protect the seat backs from edges but it will happen.

Sponsor

Staff online