• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski by Braille?

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Lots of helpful tips here. I can get really freaked out sometimes. 2 weekends ago were some of the worst whiteout/flat light conditions I've been in at Sunshine Village. And, for whatever stupid reason, mr.albertanskigirl and i thought it was a great time to ski some nice fresh off a ridge on lookout...with DD and DS (11 and 13). Well, let's just say that we couldn't see anything, couldn't see the horizon and couldn't see any of the snow literally underneath our feet. It was a giant powdery big soft bump-y bowl, and we couldn't even see the bumps. Anyway, we tried to keep the mood light (so the kids couldn't see how freaked out we were!), laughed lots and picked our way down slowly. SO and I took turns leading - 1 adult in the front and 1 in the rear, with the kids in between using the adult in front as their visual cue. I will say thank goodness I've been through that area so many times that I knew by memory where we were, how long the run is etc. We made it down without falling, except one part near the bottom...where I came to a nice stop, and then proceeded to fall over in slow motion because I apparently had no idea where the pitch of the slope was :)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We all have a lot more experience with this after the Whistler Gathering. There is quite a bit of discussion somewhere -- maybe the trip report?

Some days I did ok, but some I was nearly paralyzed. Skiing the same line repeatedly helps. We skied diamond bowl in near-zero visibility several times, and by the end I knew there was a "safe" relatively smooth section on the approach, so I was able to relax and enjoy that pitch. I even led that part.

One new tip:
If there are moguls (and its not a beginner trail with random ugly bumps), you can use the bump rhythm. You feel the bump rise, know you are on top, and know there is a trough in front of you. Get a rhythm going matched to the mogul spacing on that slope. It works better than feeling each bump as a new discovery. It is not foolproof, of course. One of us (not me) was doing this quite successfully when one of the moguls turned out to be a big rock. Yikes!

The Gathering also provides a cautionary tale that it is not all a matter of mental toughness. I know at least one (and I think at least two) people skied over cliffs they did not see. Fortunately it was "only" about eight feet and there was no injury. Yikes!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
“Desire is like fog on a bathroom mirror -- its presence incites you to wipe the mirror, and see yourself clearly again.”

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
“When your mind is foggy, all you need is the winds of wisdom!”

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I encountered my first white-out of the season today. It was pretty easy as these things go - the groomer option between Imperial Bowl (open, but no thank you) and Whale's Tail (not open, despite what the liftie told me). I focused on controlled, rounded turns, at a modest speed so that an unseen "something" wouldn't send me flying. Made it down to better vis without incident. Success?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I encountered my first white-out of the season today. It was pretty easy as these things go - the groomer option between Imperial Bowl (open, but no thank you) and Whale's Tail (not open, despite what the liftie told me). I focused on controlled, rounded turns, at a modest speed so that an unseen "something" wouldn't send me flying. Made it down to better vis without incident. Success?
Unassisted blind skiing? Shoulda been a scene in "If You Could See What I Hear".

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought a new vest for spring skiing at Whistler.

Blind Sier Vest.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Yup - this is one of my best photos from my December trip to Whistler. You can actually see something. Apparently that's Symphony Bowl back there. I loved the skiing...but no idea what Whistler looks like :)
COOL! There is a PUGSKI sign @ Whistler?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Last week we had a flat light day. As I unload from the lift and eased by a small herd of skiers waiting for a clearing I asked them. Which way was down? Yes I am a smart ass. I try to find a reference point that will give me a slope determination. Otherwise, easy does it and round turns.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My first run on Whale's Tail this morning. Okay, there were like 20 feet of vis, so not really skiing by braille ... although ... I legit saw a blind skier coming down Whale's Tail later, which blew my mind. I suppose he doesn't mind poor vis.

20170401_103100.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm writing this after having watched Blind Swimmers competing at the Speedo CanAm's along with other disabilities, my son included.

I know it is with respect that we make the comments that we do, but even seeing this after 5-6 years I am still amazed at what these (all) Swimmers do.

Anytime I hear someone complain that they can't do something, they should be forced to see what these individuals do (be it swimming or skiing or anything else).

So skiing by Braille should be a piece of cake (even if I have to eat humble pie) ;).

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
PSIA level II adaptive task, ski blindfolded with 2 guides. You would be amazed how fast a person will adapt using other senses.
Anyone that has been in this military organization will remember. Adapt and Overcome.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Heh, I remember when Uncle Louie sent me out in the Vail Back Bowls one time during a white-out, I felt more like the canary in a coal mine than a fog pole, but same thing I guess. I think he said, "Everyone follow her; if she drops off the side of a cliff, stop quickly."

I think I was behind you................

as for skiing by braille we practiced that at Snowbasin last Sunday. I found dragging both poles helped with the disorientation, glad I wasn't leading.