• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski boot suggestions needed

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I'm in the market for a new ski boot. The past three seasons, I have skied the Fischer Ranger 12 Vacuüm Fit. But they are wearing out and in the future I will be able to use the boot in tech bindings, as well as in alpine bindings. I've done some online research myself and found one boot that - on paper - meets my criteria (2017 Tecnica Cochise 120 DYN), but I wonder what else is out there?

Criteria:
- Flex 110-120 (I'm a level 7 skier, 87 kg, 1.82 m)
- Fits both alpine bindings (ISO 5355) and tech bindings, possibly with easy to switch sole pads? I want to take them skinning as well as use them in technical training on my cheater GS skis on piste...
- Not too wide: my right foot is 99 mm wide, the other 102 mm, length is resp. 26.2 and 26.3 cm (my Rangers are mondo 26.5 and they fit well)
- I have a fairly narrow heel and ankle, so not too wide in that area either
- Not too heavy (will be alright if they're designed for touring, I guess)
- Walk and ski mode + lots of cuff movement in walk mode (will not be a problem in that type of boot, I imagine)

Any models I should definately look out for (other than the Tecnica Cochise 120 DYN)?

Last edited:
TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
ISO 9523 is only the rubber sole, right?

Let put it this way: one boot that I can ski in on my Völkl Racetigers, but also on a ski with a tech binding.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hear the new Technica is going to be great.
However I'll also assume you are aware of the trade off between alpine downhill performance and ability to use tech bindings while able to easily/comfortably skin.
E.g. a big ask for the boot and one where you either lean toward either end of the spectrum or are stuck with a boot that does neither very well.

Most everybody around here has different boots for lift serve ripping and skinning/touring for that very reason. A boot that can provide good performance while ripping on your Racetigers while also be appropriate for touring (light, lots of ROM, etc) doesn't truly exist. Something that might be adequate perhaps, but nothing that can do both well.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What's wearing out with your Rangers? (I have Ranger 12s too)

It seems strange that you need them replaced already due to wear. If you want something new for other reasons, thats a different story.

If it's the soles, they are replaceable. I already had the soles on my Rangers replaced once, and also bought a 2nd set of soles for 2years down the line in case they stop selling the soles.

That being said, at least on my Rangers I do think the walk/hike mode gives it a broken "spine" and is a big compromise in performance to have that feature, so take that into consideration even compared to other all-mountain boot.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I- on paper - meets my criteria (2017 Tecnica Cochise 120 DYN), but I wonder what else is out there?

Criteria:
- Flex 110-120 (I'm a level 7 skier, 87 kg, 1.82 m)
- Fits both alpine bindings (ISO 5355) and tech bindings, possibly with easy to switch sole pads? I want to take them skinning as well as use them in technical training on my cheater GS skis on piste...
- Not too wide: my right foot is 99 mm wide, the other 102 mm, length is resp. 26.2 and 26.3 cm (my Rangers are mondo 26.5 and they fit well)
- I have a fairly narrow heel and ankle, so not too wide in that area either
- Not too heavy (will be alright if they're designed for touring, I guess)
- Walk and ski mode + lots of cuff movement in walk mode (will not be a problem in that type of boot, I imagine)

Any models I should definately look out for (other than the Tecnica Cochise 120 DYN)?
What the Tech ... fuhgedaboutit! There are better options -
https://www.wildsnow.com/22270/atomic-hawx-ultra-xtd-130-review/
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-atomic-hawx-ultra-xtd-130
https://www.wildsnow.com/21401/atomic-hawx-frreeride-touring-gear-new/
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/cast-pivot-freetour-system
https://www.wildsnow.com/22228/fritschi-tecton-test-review/

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
for next season the lange XT free tour, will have a compatible alpine sole as well as the WTR?pin sole, but that and the ones listed above are pretty much your lot, you are looking for the needle in the haystack of boots and whilst these boots have an alpine ISO 5355 sole none of them are TUV certified as the pin inserts create a break in the radius of the toe piece (they all work and have been tested by TUV they just don't have the bit of paper as yet due to a technicality)

good luck with your quest, personally i would be looking at a good alpine boot and a lighter weight touring boot, but hey that's just me ;)

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
for next season the lange XT free tour, will have a compatible alpine sole as well as the WTR?pin sole, but that and the ones listed above are pretty much your lot, you are looking for the needle in the haystack of boots and whilst these boots have an alpine ISO 5355 sole none of them are TUV certified as the pin inserts create a break in the radius of the toe piece (they all work and have been tested by TUV they just don't have the bit of paper as yet due to a technicality)

good luck with your quest, personally i would be looking at a good alpine boot and a lighter weight touring boot, but hey that's just me ;)

Thanks. After quickly fitting some of the models mentioned (Cochise, Quest, Freetour - already available as a sample, lucky me: I would need the sample size of 26.5), I realize that none of those options fit. I simply wouldn't ski in them.

So I guess I will be looking for two boots (alpine and touring), The Alpine boot being higher priority than the touring boot. But thanks all for helping me sorting this out.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Thanks. After quickly fitting some of the models mentioned (Cochise, Quest, Freetour - already available as a sample, lucky me: I would need the sample size of 26.5), I realize that none of those options fit. I simply wouldn't ski in them.

So I guess I will be looking for two boots (alpine and touring), The Alpine boot being higher priority than the touring boot. But thanks all for helping me sorting this out.

be wary of writing off boots if they are not perfect out the box, what were the problems?
your boot fitter should be able to make some pretty major changes to a boot if required, was the freetour the LV or the 100mm last? that 3mm makes a lot of difference if you have a wider foot

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Well, they didn't fit well in almost every area: toes, instep, heel, ankle... In contrast, some new alpine boots I tried on fit properly, ie I could see myself skiing all day in them. My main point: I've come back from the idea of 'one boot to do it all'.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, they didn't fit well in almost every area: toes, instep, heel, ankle... In contrast, some new alpine boots I tried on fit properly, ie I could see myself skiing all day in them. My main point: I've come back from the idea of 'one boot to do it all'.
I too had the same fit trouble with all of the above beef boots you tried.
I'm still interested in trying an Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD something next season. Fortunately I still pretty happy with my Salomon X-max 120 Alpine boots so am in no hurry and can entertain a two boot quiver.
The "real" backcountry skiers will tell you a two boot approach is the best way to go, beef boot = jack of all trades, master of none.

Sponsor