• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sir Roger Moore. R. I. P.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
1 Sean Connery
2 George Lazenby

No one else, after these two they lost the plot and no longer did the character service.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Recent 007 films have been a bore: second-rate CG in place of genuine stunts, an actor who plays Bond as a humorless thug (Ian Fleming would've hated Craig), and M played by a woman who apparently thinks stagecraft consists of looking like you haven't had a decent bowel movement in two weeks.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'd go as far as that IF a Roger Moore 'BOND' came on the tube I wouldn't bother to watch it!!!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'd go as far as that IF a Roger Moore 'BOND' came on the tube I wouldn't bother to watch it!!!

What about an episode or two of The Saint?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seems like RM did some good stuff for charities in his later years. It's all just for fun, but I generally preferred the darker portrayals.

Favorite Bonds:

6. George Lazenby

5. Roger Moore

4. Pierce Brosnan

3. Timothy Dalton

2. Daniel Craig

1. Sean Connery

1. Sean Connery
  2. George Lazenby
  3. Daniel Craig
  4. Roger Moore
  5. Timothy Dalton
  6. Pierce Brosnan

I recall watching a movie critic after Daniel Craig took the role and pondering what he said.
Sean Connery was Bond. A real man in the role. George Lazenby was a good follow up but all the rest until Craig were just guys filling the cast.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My ranking of the Bonds would be:
1) Daniel Craig
2) Roger Moore
3) Sean Connery
4) Pierce Brosnan
5) Timothy Dalton
6) George Lazenby

I realize I have Connery lower than virtually everybody else but by the time I was old enough to even know what the word "movie" meant, Connery had long since stopped being Bond. So I grew up on Roger Moore being "Bond".

I like Craig because they rebooted the series and did away with a lot of the ridiculous gadgets. Brosnan seemed to take things even more over-the-top than Moore did, so I was glad they restarted the series.

Dalton? Lazenby? Meh. Who cares?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I could do that.... but that is a very different character.

I think that the way Moore played Bond and Templar they were essentially the same suave, sophisticated, don't make the mistake of messing with kind of guy.

What was vastly different were the production values, budgets, scripts and especially all the 007 gadgets.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Man, I feel old.

Goldfinger was one of the first movies that I can remember my parents breaking their parental censorship rules to let me see...with them. Part of it was filmed in Switzerland, near where we lived at the time.

It was released in 1964, right after my tenth birthday. I received a Bond Aston-Martin car, maybe a Corgi? for Christmas that year.
So for me Sean Connery simply is James Bond. The other guys are a distant second place.

A more oddball reason is that my college roommate could and still can do a killer Sean Connery impersonation. So I probably heard "Bond....James Bond" about a thousand times or more over beers in those years. Chuckling as I type.

Roger Moore will always be the Saint to me. Loved that show. Whole family did. My dad drove a P1800, but he was no Saint. Much more boring Dad.

Remember the TV show of that era, The Avengers? And the incredibly stunning Diana Rigg, who played Emma Peel? She was later in a couple of Bond movies. The one shot in Murren for sure. She married Bond, and he character was killed off. Short Bond career.

Her father worked for my dad in the U.K. They became good friends. I thought that was very cool. Not as cool as my ten year older brother.

I remember a bunch of posters and photographs sent to him back in the US, all autographed like "Thanks so much for the fun, best love, Diana" "So great to catch up! Much love, D"

Legendary for a college guy. I was clueless. They had obviously never met. Dad procured the posters. Who knows what tall tales they inspired!

But for me, Connery is Bond.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think that the way Moore played Bond and Templar they were essentially the same suave, sophisticated, don't make the mistake of messing with kind of guy.
Could be the same said for Brosnan, he brought over the same character from TV in Remmington Steele.

James

Out There
Instructor
maxresdefault.jpg

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The first Bond movie I saw was For Your Eyes Only, at the movie theaters. I was in high school and on a double date with my sister and her boyfriend. I can't even remember who the guy was that I was dating.
I saw a few other Roger Moore Bond movies before I started renting the older movies, starting with the beginning, Dr No. It didn't take me long to realize that Connery was Bond.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"That's a Smith & Wesson, and you've had your six"

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know if anyone remembers a series called "The Persuaders". Short-lived, didn't do well in USA. Starring Roger Moore and Tony Curtis as Lord Brett Sinclair and Danny Wilde
persuaders.png
persuaders1.png
1971_television_persuaders_moore_curtis.jpg
1971_television_persuaders_cars.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One thing about the Bond 007 films they always took product placement to the fullest. From the cars, wine, clothing, and other equipment you could always find the latest or hottest of products.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

At one point in this episode, Moore as Simon Templar, orders a drink and says, "Not shaken, not stirred". Indirect reference to Connery's 007 me thinks.