• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've watched with some amazement these past months as a couple of giant companies have soaked up even more of the countries ski resorts. I commented to my wife how this is beginning to border on a deliberate effort to monopolize the sport. We discussed the impact this would/could have on competing resorts. I wasn't surprised to see the following statement coming out of Silverton......

http://silvertonmountain.com/heli-skiing-walmat-and-the-epic-pass-era/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've watched with some amazement these past months as a couple of giant companies have soaked up even more of the countries ski resorts. I commented to my wife how this is beginning to border on a deliberate effort to monopolize the sport. We discussed the impact this would/could have on competing resorts. I wasn't surprised to see the following statement coming out of Silverton......

Very interesting. Silverton is run by one of the smartest minds in the ski industry, Tim Petrick. Tim left K2 to take the position at Silverton which when it happened it raised many eyebrows. I am not saying that Tim saw all of these chips eventually falling as they did but I am sure they didn't catch him totally by surprise either. Kudos to Tim for keeping Silverton true to it's roots, we hope to reach out to him for a more one on one personal tour for next season.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very interesting. Silverton is run by one of the smartest minds in the ski industry, Tim Petrick. Tim left K2 to take the position at Silverton which when it happened it raised many eyebrows. I am not saying that Tim saw all of these chips eventually falling as they did but I am sure they didn't catch him totally by surprise either. Kudos to Tim for keeping Silverton true to it's roots, we hope to reach out to him for a more one on one personal tour for next season.

Silverton is on my bucket list. From what I have seen of it, it reminds me of Mt. Bohemia in Michigan's UP where it is all about the skiing. Everything is in Yurts. No fancy lodging, no grooming, etc....

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I totally get what he is saying. Thx for posting.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Silverton is on my bucket list. From what I have seen of it, it reminds me of Mt. Bohemia in Michigan's UP where it is all about the skiing. Everything is in Yurts. No fancy lodging, no grooming, etc....

Go. It's fun. I've spent two weekends there, both as part of the Rippin Chix clinics. Would like to go back on my own, and now with more skill. Also did my one and only ever heli drop there, which was amazing (I'd never been in a helicopter before - the views alone were worth it).

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, Silverton was originally supposed to transition to all unguided, and now they have none, so I don't know about the roots thing, but I definitely look forward to an interview!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Nice link, Jeff.

I spent a day at Silverton several years ago, and posted a TR on Epic about it. Mixed feelings about the place - impressive scenery, great skiing, good guides. I was in a group with a very mixed bag of skier skill levels, first run took all morning, one guy lost a ski, and I was not entirely comfortable with the cultivated dirtbag image Silverton puts out. Good luck surviving, Silverton, I hope you can make it and thrive in this era of multipasses.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, Silverton was originally supposed to transition to all unguided, and now they have none, so I don't know about the roots thing, but I definitely look forward to an interview!
So there's no guides at Silverton now? What are you supposed to do, wing it?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think he meant that the only option was guided. It looks like they had 6 unguided days last year.

Right ... they have slowly taken away unguided skiing to the point that now there will be none at all.

The comments about Vail and Wal-Mart are kind of funny. Someone posted in a facebook thread. "If the company that offers $800 unlimited season passes that are accepted at ski resorts across North America is "Wal-Mart",... then what is his resort that offers $900 day heli-day passes? And increasingly shorter unguided skiing windows? Prada? .... they are [now] essentially a heli ski operation with a side gig as a guided ski hill with marginal snow."

In doing this, they are taking away access from the locals. They aren't dropping $1,000 on heli days, or even $160 on guided days. What they had was backcountry terrain and unguided days, and now that's history, too.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right ... they have slowly taken away unguided skiing to the point that now there will be none at all.

The comments about Vail and Wal-Mart are kind of funny. Someone posted in a facebook thread. "If the company that offers $800 unlimited season passes that are accepted at ski resorts across North America is "Wal-Mart",... then what is his resort that offers $900 day heli-day passes? And increasingly shorter unguided skiing windows? Prada? .... they are [now] essentially a heli ski operation with a side gig as a guided ski hill with marginal snow."

In doing this, they are taking away access from the locals. They aren't dropping $1,000 on heli days, or even $160 on guided days. What they had was backcountry terrain and unguided days, and now that's history, too.

It does seem like an odd move to me as well. Add a couple cats as there is only 1 lift and a decent day pass price and the place would probably do a lot better.....just my .03c.....

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

Silverton offers a unique product even for the rockies.

But with one lift , It's difficult to think that VR is thier competition. Even to call themselves Silverton Ski RESORT is misleading. Ski AREA, sure, But not a destination resort.
So they cut off the lower end of the customer spectrum. Big deal.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

But with one lift , It's difficult to think that VR is thier competition. Even to call themselves Silverton Ski RESORT is misleading. Ski AREA, sure, But not a destination resort.

Exactly ... this letter was a bit of a straw man.

I guess I'll finish my thoughts ... as for the last sentences, true. Business is business. My posting was just to refute that anything is "back to its roots," because it's pretty much the opposite. That's all.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

"Silverton yurt and lift operation."

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If there is no unguided skiing then it is just another touring guide operation with heli skiing thrown in. You do not need a ski area to do that just an operating permit for certain areas. No need for a lift or other facilities either just what is needed for transport whether its a heli or cat or both.

I mean, It would be cool if they offered unguided. Its just one lift, avy control on the area, ski patrol and a bus to take people back to the lift from other areas. The pass is for the 1 lift and access to the area. Guess the location hurts them money wise. Too far from the front range.

Sponsor