• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sick Day 88's for $399.00 ?!?

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I received a Facebook post from Powder Magazine today. They said that the '17/'18 Line Sick Day 88 skis would retail for $399.00. So if that is the MSRP, what will the "street price" be? I have demoed Sick Days (not the 88's) and really liked them. Assuming that Line is still in the business of making quality skis, how could you not buy a pair of these?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Sick Day design and 88 waist is weird combo to me. Sick Day is designed as a quite soft-snow oriented ski. Whats the purpose of a soft-snow biased ski with an 88 waist?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is street price. Check out my videos life from the Floor at SIA we talk about it there. I believe it is the third video

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Sick Day design and 88 waist is weird combo to me. Sick Day is designed as a quite soft-snow oriented ski. Whats the purpose of a soft-snow biased ski with an 88 waist?

Eastern Packed tree ski, or for someone lighter weight....

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm 5'8" 150 and I test rode a LSD 95 last year. I liked the ski. It was fun and playful. I'll be interested in trying the 88. I have an older Blizzard Bushwacker in 88. I'm guessing the two skis are going to ski pretty similar and I'm looking to replace my BW within a year or two. For 399, the price is great. I know Blizzard is releasing the Brahma CA(88 width) but I'm a little turned off by the new turn radius of 15.5 in the 173

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm 5'8" 150 and I test rode a LSD 95 last year. I liked the ski. It was fun and playful. I'll be interested in trying the 88. I have an older Blizzard Bushwacker in 88. I'm guessing the two skis are going to ski pretty similar and I'm looking to replace my BW within a year or two. For 399, the price is great. I know Blizzard is releasing the Brahma CA(88 width) but I'm a little turned off by the new turn radius of 15.5 in the 173

Don't get hung up or turned off by a turn radius, a ski is much more that that. You have also have to realize that there is not one way to measure the radius and the final number has as mich to do with marketing and placement as to what the radius actually is.

Current Brahma (Your Bushwacker) dimensions:
125-88-110 (17M @ 173cm)
127-88-111 (15.5M @ 173cm)
2mm in tip and 1mm in tail will not change the radius 1.5M. Combining the sidecut with the new profile can also have an effect.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't get hung up ot turned off by a turn radius, a ski is much more that that. You have also have to realize that there is not one way to measure the radius and the final number has as mich to do with marketing and placement as to what the radius actually is.

125-88-110 (17M @ 173cm)
2mm in tip and 1mm in tail will not change the radius 1.5M. Combining the sidecut with the new profile can also have an effect.

Thanks for the info. I admit, all those numbers baffle me plus the whole camber, rocker, etc..I don't really get it. I usually start with what waist I think I might want to try and then try to find a place who actually has the ski(s) I want to try. I was at Mammoth last weekend. I love the fact that main lodge at Mammoth had demo's for ~63 for the entire day. Switch out as often as you like. My buddy was able to switch 5 skis and he ended buying one of them. I'm hoping next year they have these 2(LSD 88 and Brahma CA 88) plus a few others for me to try.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Don't get hung up or turned off by a turn radius, a ski is much more that that. You have also have to realize that there is not one way to measure the radius and the final number has as mich to do with marketing and placement as to what the radius actually is.

125-88-110 (17M @ 173cm)

Couldn't 2/1mm change the radius dramatically if those number have different lengths between them. For instance, if there is 90cm between 125-88 on one ski, and 70cm between 125-88 on another, they would have significantly different radii. Overall ski length isn't a good indication of how much space is between those numbers now that tip and tail tapers vary dramatically between skis now.

Numbers can accurately describe things. But only when you have all the right numbers.

Mountain_rules

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
That is street price. Check out my videos life from the Floor at SIA we talk about it there. I believe it is the third video

Hey, sorry to resurrect a thread like this, but I couldn't find the video where you discuss these skis. Possible I'm missing something. Did you guys get to try them out? They're definitely on my short list to demo next season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey, sorry to resurrect a thread like this, but I couldn't find the video where you discuss these skis. Possible I'm missing something. Did you guys get to try them out? They're definitely on my short list to demo next season.
I couldn't get on them at the demo, I will say hand flexing at the show, they are going to be a killer value at $399.

Mountain_rules

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I couldn't get on them at the demo, I will say hand flexing at the show, they are going to be a killer value at $399.

Awesome. With the flatter tail, narrower waist, and (supposedly) stiffer flex, I am thinking these might be exactly what I am looking for in an all-mountain ski for the east coast. Thanks for the response.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Awesome. With the flatter tail, narrower waist, and (supposedly) stiffer flex, I am thinking these might be exactly what I am looking for in an all-mountain ski for the east coast. Thanks for the response.
they are $399...how wrong can you be?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm also looking forward to trying these out too.

I hope to demo the Blizzard Brahma CA and the Nordica Navigator 90(I think it's 89 in the 172. I don't think either of these is going to be 399.00 but for me, if they ski better than the LSD 88 than it's worth spending a little more.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There will be some pretty good $399 skis coming this fall. :popcorn:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was talking to a ski shop the other day and he mentioned the LSD 88 is slightly different than the other 3 SD skis.

He thought the 88 did not have the same "carbon magic fingers" in the construction and were therefore not as stiff as the other 3.

Did you guys here the same thing?? Maybe this is why the skis are only 399??

Sponsor

Staff online