• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SIA 2017: Reports from the Floor

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do you give a best in show without demoing or are they things you've tested previews of?
Trust our judgement..we don't give these out for no reason. I will be surprised if any of these disappoint.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I so do not like the topsheets on the FX and BMX Kastles.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What was interesting is that he skis the FX in 189, and he looks about 180 in height, so confirms that FX skis fairly short.

Quoted for truth. I went to the fx85 165 after feeling like the fx84 168 was too much ski in serious bumps. 3cm - not much, nominally. After a few days on the new ones I am now suspecting that I should have gone 173 on this ski. WAY different design. Skis really short. (Not comparing myself to Davenport, I hasten to add.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia so is the Samba the new BP 98? Any changes? Wife is looking at getting the current one of waiting of next seasons.
Yes the construction and shape is slightly different, there is a little(emphasis on little) and slightly more tip rise. The TR on these skis is smaller. 15M in the 166cm.
I am really eager to get on these skis. :toast

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug @Tricia are you guys just sneaking in and sticking PugSki stickers on everything, or what?
We have Best in Snow badges to put on the skis that we think will be winners in the category. Most of these skis have been available for us to try before the show but some of them are skis that we are pretty sure are going to wow us based on construction and flex.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What skis are the manufactures showing for the Northeast ICE?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What skis are the manufactures showing for the Northeast ICE?
K2 has expanded the Charger collection with the new TurboCharger. Kastle has come out with a new RX series with a new SL and GS that will be oh so sweet. AS @epic , the new Fischer Curve look real good too. More to come.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
. Kastle has come out with a new RX series with a new SL and GS that will be oh so sweet.

I'm hoping Kästle comes to Okemo's spring demo day. I'd love to try an SL by them. The GS looks sweet, too. Doubt they'd have those skis, though — MX, FX, BMX is more like it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We have Best in Snow badges to put on the skis that we think will be winners in the category. Most of these skis have been available for us to try before the show but some of them are skis that we are pretty sure are going to wow us based on construction and flex.

I thought I saw some with actual stickers that looked more like the ones you distribute for us to put on our skis.

Regardless, thank you for fondling all the gear for us and giving us SIA access that we - I - certainly would never have without your legwork!!

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
Well, they went... but maybe no booth I guess.

seems like only for the demo according to info available at the SIA website, which btw I was amazed how big the oakley booth is compared to everything else by looking at the floorplan

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I also do not like the new Kastle graphics on the Fx and the BMX. They look very basic. Too basic for a premium ski, specially the color palette. Not really elegant like the Head Kore. Head nailed it with the KORE graphics. Wow and the shape looks really really interesting. Rossignols graphics also look good and are along that same understated but high tech direction (maybe too much emphasis on the tip tech?). The Armada's graphics, for younger buyers, look great too. Seems that the understated and basic graphic top sheet style is in looking at the Blizzards. I think the 2016 graphics looked more distinctive in the Blizzards and made them stick out and be easily identifiable on the rack.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I also do not like the new Kastle graphics on the Fx and the BMX. They look very basic. Too basic for a premium ski, specially the color palette. Not really elegant like the Head Kore. Head nailed it with the KORE graphics. Wow and the shape looks really really interesting. Rossignols graphics also look good and are along that same understated but high tech direction (maybe too much emphasis on the tip tech?). The Armada's graphics, for younger buyers, look great too. Seems that the understated and basic graphic top sheet style is in looking at the Blizzards. I think the 2016 graphics looked more distinctive in the Blizzards and made them stick out and be easily identifiable on the rack.

I buy skis based on how they ski and so to me graphics are irrelevant. So if the graphics look like a bad tattoo, well then that is what cans of spray paint are for.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I got some reason tlrealky like the current Kastle graphics and also the last Blizzard graphics before they went to carbon tips. Not a huge fan of the new Kastle style although need to see it in person. The current textured topshhet is really good too.

I'm curious if the MSRP remains the same, even with the covert cost cutting measures...

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
What's new and unobtrusive in the bits and custom liner space?

Also, what's going on in outerwear? Is Neoshell making any more inroads or is GoreTex still king?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
...the vernacular is a little passé, Lou Dawson uses it on his WildSnow blog, but more recently pushed to updated it to "Pin-Tech".
I get the idea @markjop was just having some fun with you:D

Not at all. I wasn't sure and wanted to clarify. . 'Tech' generally means dynafit type touring bindings for me, and DIN off course is DIN...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
seems like only for the demo according to info available at the SIA website, which btw I was amazed how big the oakley booth is compared to everything else by looking at the floorplan

Well eyewear fits that nice bracket between hard and soft goods and of course there are a lot of soft goods. I'm always surprised at the amount of cash casual skiers are prepared to drop on goggles and outerwear without being remotely interested in buying skis or even renting more than basic rental stock.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Kastle line loos really nice and concise. The color palette and graphics look real good in person, it will be real interesting how it holds up in time. The Special Edition MX84 wood/carbon ski is beautiful and woud love to have it under my feet. Price point is in the upper teens. The 10th Anniversay MX88 was an interesting ski, it is an hommage to their best selliing ski. The V2.0 with the bigger hollow tech did look sharp. It was intersting that they are still getting requests for the MX98. The new LX line looks like they will be sleepers for them, these skis are NOT the outgoing cap designed LX's, these are full sandwhich skis and pretty beefy. The RX SL and GS were gorgeous but will be rare. They are only bringing in as many as are preordered which s a shame because they will be an aquired taste and will need to be skied to sell. These are two skis I would really like to spend a day on.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January