• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SIA 2017: Reports from the Floor

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is the Bi injection the whole lower or is there an inside and outside layer?

They are co-injection moulded, two different materials are injected into the one mold. The skin plastic is injected into the mold first then the core plastic, finally the skin plastic is injected again to purge the core material from the sprue. It allows the use of plastic regrind as the core material, while maintaining surface finish quality by using virgin plastic as the skin material.

Bi-injection is much more expensive as it requires 2 molds and you can only use a limited amount of regrind.

New technology and innovation in the ski industry usually really means cost cutting and value engineering.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier

At 3:38 he says that they have changed the core from ash / silver fir to beech / silver fir. Ash is currently 25% more expensive than beech. The core blanks are probably made in Switzerland by HESS & CO. AG the current Swiss Franc Euro exchange rate makes them very expensive.

He also said that silver fir (construction lumber) holds the binding screws better than Ash, this is nonsense. Looks like they are doing some cost cutting.

James

Out There
Instructor
They are co-injection moulded, two different materials are injected into the one mold. The skin plastic is injected into the mold first then the core plastic, finally the skin plastic is injected again to purge the core material from the sprue. It allows the use of plastic regrind as the core material, while maintaining surface finish quality by using virgin plastic as the skin material.

Bi-injection is much more expensive as it requires 2 molds and you can only use a limited amount of regrind.

New technology and innovation in the ski industry usually really means cost cutting and value engineering.
So it's a sandwich all over? What happens when you grind out parts for sixth toes etc?
It looked like the instep area was all blue and not the white plastic.

By "regrind" plastic do you mean recycled?

James

Out There
Instructor
At 3:38 he says that they have changed the core from ash / silver fir to beech / silver fir. Ash is currently 25% more expensive than beech. The core blanks are probably made in Switzerland by HESS & CO. AG the current Swiss Franc Euro exchange rate makes them very expensive.

He also said that silver fir (construction lumber) holds the binding screws better than Ash, this is nonsense. Looks like they are doing some cost cutting.
Have to agree. Silver Fir is like Balsalm Fir, often used for Christmas trees . It's a softwood. Ash would hold screws much better.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Basically no real changes at Kastle except that they made the graphics youthfully asymmetric (BS, if you ask me) and came up with the "limited" cosmetics on a essentially productions skis. I didn't get Davenport's talk about how he is spending time on BMX in soft snow, on MX in hard snow, and on TX in backcountry. Where does that leave his signature FX ski I may ask? What was interesting is that he skis the FX in 189, and he looks about 180 in height, so confirms that FX skis fairly short. As a good news, all of who ski on FX s are still on the latest and greatest (and maybe on the better ones since we are on ash-wood skis). Thanks Phil for the interview, and my best to Chris Davenport for trying to be a good sport doing it.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I respectfully disagree. I have two very different sized feet. My left foot works well almost out of the box with a sixth toe punch. The right requires expanding the shell from styloid to first met head. There are no residual 'lean', leak, etc... issues. But then again, it's a boot that is designed to be worked on, the skill set of the person doing the work being the primary variable.
YMMV, I always had some negative consequences after boot work and the people who did my boot work are fantastic, consummate professionals with tons of experience, great tools and are well respected throughout the industry, so it's not them, its my feet.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Philpug @Tricia are you guys just sneaking in and sticking PugSki stickers on everything, or what?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
How do you give a best in show without demoing or are they things you've tested previews of?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No Dynafit basically - low tech must be a predominantly Euro term for off patent tech binding.
...the vernacular is a little passé, Lou Dawson uses it on his WildSnow blog, but more recently pushed to updated it to "Pin-Tech".
I get the idea @markjop was just having some fun with you:D