• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SIA 2017: Reports from the Floor

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm actually interested to know from shop people there how many shops hate Look Pivots. Basically because of the stupid adjustment I guess. When the instructions say "wiggle", clearly it's not precise but a black art. Anyway, I got an earful when I went to get a binding check. Is this hatred common?

No.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would like to know what the manufactures are recommending for ski length and if the trend is longer as I suspect.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 18963

Yeah... it's a very long/tall toe box, but it does not let you splay that way an Altra or VivoBarefoot shoe would. Shown next to a Dobermann for comparison.
Dobermann is a scary beast! My toes are curling thinking about it!

Btw, good visual on the differences. I definitely can see an improvement to past Cochise's fit, for many, just not quite there yet for me.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I would like to know what the manufactures are recommending for ski length and if the trend is longer as I suspect.

I don't think this is the case or general trend at all. Some ski designs like a bit of extra length, others don't. Sometimes that falls squarely in the personal preference/local topography category.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
I knew about Solomon/Atomic, not Nordica/Technica. Regardless, my hobbit feet toes fit the Solomon X-Max and Nordica Speedmachine boots I have (or had), out of the box without modification. A rarity for me. Most fit my metatarsals fine and push either my pinky toe and or big toe inwards. I have never been able to fit my toes in Atomic or Technica boots. Not even the new '17 Cochise boot @Brian Finch said allowed for toe splay like a minimalist trail running shoe. Which it does if we are talking about letting the metatarsals stretch out. They have a bump out at the little toe metatarsal (where I don't need it), then taper to a cone from there and still push my pinky toe inward:\

Not talking about the consumer boots.....

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I knew about Solomon/Atomic, not Nordica/Technica. Regardless, my hobbit feet toes fit the Solomon X-Max and Nordica Speedmachine boots I have (or had), out of the box without modification. A rarity for me. Most fit my metatarsals fine and push either my pinky toe and or big toe inwards. I have never been able to fit my toes in Atomic or Technica boots. Not even the new '17 Cochise boot @Brian Finch said allowed for toe splay like a minimalist trail running shoe. Which it does if we are talking about letting the metatarsals stretch out. They have a bump out at the little toe metatarsal (where I don't need it), then taper to a cone from there and still push my pinky toe inward:\

If the two boots you mention fit out of the box, there are several more that will, and several more that you'll be able to pour in yoir goldfish and take skiing with you. ogsmile And honestly, I'd be a bit suspicious as those two boots have rather different volumes. I'd say the speed machine is somewhere between the X-max and X-Pro series Solomon boots. Splay? Minimalist running shoe? Atomic mega and Technica HVL series boots. And anyway, what's a sixth toe punch, and/or a little navicular or styloid punch or grind between friends? ogsmile

Someone mentioned it above, but the whole same same thing is only applicable to race and plug race boots... Some of the race skis as well from the different associated business groups.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Interested in wide fit performance boots (but not race performance) and yes seriously wide across the 6th toe (104+) not the Here's our 98mm shell w've generously added 3mm. Even better if they have low tech compatible sole swap for futureproofing (not bothered about WTR - think it is still a gimmick that has yet to settle)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Low tech? Meaning DIN?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I do not get the obsession of boots that fit you out of the box......

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do not get the obsession of boots that fit you out of the box......
It's not an obsession, but a viable option. Just because a boots fits well out of the box, does not mean it is not the right fit. Boot manufacturers are better and better with their fit options. When I am fitting, I start with the path of least resistance, the less work needed, the better.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I can't imagine why you wouldn't want a good fit out of the box. I've never had it, but I would feel a lot more confident about a boot if I didn't have to trust that after punches (ie, after the boot can't easily be returned), it will all work out.

That being said, at my latest fit, we chose the boots that were *closest* to fitting well. Lucky me, they were also heat moldable shells. They're amazing now. But I'm 99% sure my fitter would not have put me in them if they hadn't been the closest to fitting me already.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
yes, get the best boot that will work for you with the least amount of work but I think having a great fitter is key here. I am willing to bet that 90%+ of skiers need some kind of work done to the boot. Out of the box, "close-enough" may be ok.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Josh Matta I tend to agree with what you were trying to say, but with one caveat. Any serious fitting work (punching, etc) has annoyingbconsequences, the toe seams don't close that well anymore, boot spreaders leave deformations, the chances of the boot leaning increase, etc. Those are minor things relative to the issues that are remedied, but it's not that fit work does not have its downsides and it's never a panacea anyway. So I'd agree with Phil that a party of least resistance is good provided it does not compromise fit in critical areas.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
@Josh Matta I tend to agree with what you were trying to say, but with one caveat. Any serious fitting work (punching, etc) has annoyingbconsequences, the toe seams don't close that well anymore, boot spreaders leave deformations, the chances of the boot leaning increase, etc. Those are minor things relative to the issues that are remedied, but it's not that fit work does not have its downsides and it's never a panacea anyway. So I'd agree with Phil that a party of least resistance is good provided it does not compromise fit in critical areas.

I respectfully disagree. I have two very different sized feet. My left foot works well almost out of the box with a sixth toe punch. The right requires expanding the shell from styloid to first met head. There are no residual 'lean', leak, etc... issues. But then again, it's a boot that is designed to be worked on, the skill set of the person doing the work being the primary variable.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Drool.

Sponsor

Staff online