• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My local Goodwill store rarely has any good ski finds like yours.
Same here.. We're 160 miles from NC and VA skiing that most here aren't even aware of. Lots of transplants though. That is likely where this stuff comes from.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Update.. looked at The Ski in the living room all day watching NCAA, went to the movies, went out to dinner, thinking about it the whole time. Came home and drilled the futhermuckers! :eek: I just decided that The Provider of all Retro Awesomeness wouldn't have dropped them in my lap if I wasn't supposed to go ski them. Only moved the heels, toes are still ball of foot on the line. Best of luck to whoever inherits them after me in a few years. If you have big feet the holes will already be there for you after you drill through the epoxy I used to fill them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK skied the new acquisitions. All of the bindings held fine in warm weather skiing. Didn't push the 626s very hard. But, I did ski hard on the Geze Jr/Seniors? and all metal 727s. Here is my official retro quiver for the foreseeable future.. All together!
Retro Quiver 2016.jpg

Bumps, SL, GS (would have been powder ski too back then?)

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When I lived in Minnesota my aunt in Oklahoma sent me one of these for Christmas when I was about 13. I thought it was super cool and couldn't wait ti try it out..... pre GPS days and radar guns were quite spendy. It broke within about an hour of skiing, really cheap, thin plastic. It is not as durable as the package says hahahaha. Anybody else remember these?

Vintage Skidometer Ski Speedometer Adina Products NOS in Box 1970s

s-l1600.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@Uncle-A What did you end up doing with that Salomon apron? I'm thinking I'd wash it gently then use it for holiday cookouts. If I had a shop, garage or man cave space, I'd think about framing it like others suggested. Whatever you do, don't leave it stuffed away in a drawer or other hidden place., Really cool apron for sure!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So the STs with 727 E arrived while I was away on a scout trip. Opened them up to a couple surprises..

They are not 190cm as advertised, they are 207 cm :yahoo:
Big MFn STs.jpg

One toe piece is missing the DIN window.:( seems to be structurally in tact though.:huh:
Broken Din.jpg

The 727E are older 1-4 din with a worm screw track so I did have to drill 3 new holes in each of the Split Tails..:huh:
Upside down with epoxy drying;)
Split Tail Glue.jpg

Since I had to go there, I put the 727E on the multi colored TSRs and the black ones on the Split Tails.
The Ski Equipe.jpg

I went ahead and ,mounted the 626 on the gigantic STs for the hell of it.
Bad news, there is a fair amount of rust. They can still be salvaged with an hour of TLC.
Rust.jpg

Weird thing with these, the serial number is stamped upside down on them. Might that be a race stock indicator?
207 cm.jpg

I highly doubt I will bother cleaning up the edges or skiing them. I will post a trade criteria in the buy/sell/trade and wait a week for offers before sacrificing them to :nono:the fence.

Better shot of the poles... won in a race, last time I raced my best friend from high school, he got 2nd and I got 3rd -Smith goggles. He gave me the poles so I'll probably keep them indefinitely.
Rossi Kerma Poles.jpg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All done, but could use a Salomon 727 toe piece window.
WP_20160410_009.jpg

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So the STs with 727 E arrived while I was away on a scout trip. Opened them up to a couple surprises..

The 727E are older 1-4 din with a worm screw track so I did have to drill 3 new holes in each of the Split Tails..:huh:
Upside down with epoxy drying;)

1-4 range is pre DIN. It is simply an adjustment range. NO correlation to DIN numbers at all!!!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1-4 range is pre DIN. It is simply an adjustment range. NO correlation to DIN numbers at all!!!

I know that, but the reference was to explain why new holes were needed when I had hoped otherwise until the 727E arrived as the 1-4 instead of new DIN.
The tracks are different. That is why I had to drill new holes. Originally I planned to just back the heels off the tracks, leaving the tracks screwed to the skis and swap them. But, since the 626 new din was the lift tab track and the 727 1-4 was the worm screw I wasn't able to swap them without bringing the tracks over with them

I ski the 1-4 on 2 but the DIN bindings around 7ish

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
You might be able to fabricate something out of a chunk of lexan or something to replace the missing window. Paint some lines to represent the settings on the back side and epoxy it into position. It would at least keep the snow out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You might be able to fabricate something out of a chunk of lexan or something to replace the missing window. Paint some lines to represent the settings on the back side and epoxy it into position. It would at least keep the snow out.

I tried to pop up a window on the 626 toe but it wasn't happening easily. Once I know no one is taking/trading for them I'll get a little more persuasive with it and see if I cha chisel it out and glue it on the 727 if it comes off in one piece. next step would be tin ships and a piece of something random to glue over it like you suggest. Heck, I also know where there are quite a few regular 727 toes at a thrift store. Could grap a pair of skis for $10 and have two tries at salvaging a window to glue on the 727E. Got all summer to work on that hahahaha.,

Edit, went back to the shed with a chisel and got a 626 window out. Trimmed it with tin ships and glued it in. It was a DIN 1-9 instead of the old 1-4 but it will hold and look a little better for now. Note to self, goo gone makes that kind of plastic worse and not better when using it to clean up glue. Other than that it is fine.
WP_20160411_001.jpg

Last edited:

Royal

UTAH
Skier
the trick to remove the window is to first remove the aluminum adjustment screw. then you can gently pry back the prongs that hold the window in. I have a couple windows from the 737's I can get out for you if you want/need.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
the trick to remove the window is to first remove the aluminum adjustment screw. then you can gently pry back the prongs that hold the window in. I have a couple windows from the 737's I can get out for you if you want/need.
Nice, I never had the notion to unscrew the toe spring screw ALL the way. I guess the window could go out the front there the. For now I think I'll leave it as is. Everything works and is rock solid functionally. There are several pairs of skis with 727s on them around town I could get for a song... all with plastic heels,but certainly could follow your advice and get another plastic piece. I think I'll hold out for a 1-4 replacement and just leave it as is unless I get an exact match.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
b0420b1a7fb125ff4fbb3862deeaa9e0.jpg

Jack Nicholson and Roman Polanski

IMG_6675.JPG

Son and myself in Grindelwald, Switzerland

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Came across this cool Look graphic -
image.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well that sort of exists it the P15/FKS155 thread but another thread of LOOK love is OK by me!!! :D

I did a search of P15/FKS155 and only found this post was it under a different name? Anyway a Look thread sounds good to me but are stuck having to have a Marker, Tyrolia, and Geze thread? What next a Burt thread? HAHAHA :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I did a search of P15/FKS155 and only found this post was it under a different name? Anyway a Look thread sounds good to me but are stuck having to have a Marker, Tyrolia, and Geze thread? What next a Burt thread? HAHAHA :)
Tyrolia would be in the Head thread hahaha. I agree that TOO many brand threads gets crazy with the evolution and changes. Spademan was such a unique animal that it warrants its own thread. Salomon was the first to have the whole package, skis, bindings, and boots. Oops, just hit me that they never really took a big space in the pole market. Why is that??
Force 9's are probably old enough to count as retro now. I had a pair back in 2008 I played around with some, skied OK. Can't remember who I gave them to, a friend at church most likely..