• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ship Skis, a great shipping option

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lets face it, our members here are gear whores. We buy, sell, buy and sell skis like no other group I know. I recently tried a service called Ship Skis to see how it works and how easy it is. Well, it works great and it is quite frankly easier that not only going to the UPS store let alone using the UPS site. Prices are in line with what UPS/FedEx and USPS charge since they include $500 insurance in the price. What I do like is up till now I that I don't have to make a special trip to my local UPS store to drop the skis off, a driver just picks them up at the house.

Obviously this service was not designed for the ski sellers and buyers, but more for when you travel. Many times it is a hassle to bring your skis to and from the airport, Shipskis will help you free up your time and hands by allowing you to ship your skis to your vacation destination. Anyone who has traveled knows what a pain it is to have to wait for your skis to come off the carousel, usually much after you get the rest of your luggage, then to have to deal with rental car ski racks and the other hassles that go with them. Ship skis will have your skis waiting for you at your hotel destination.

I found their site to be very user friendly when I sent some skis to @Dave Petersen , actually much easier than the UPS site. You have the ability to create and save contact cars for people that you might send skis to in the future. I was impressed enough with the service that I contacted them about becoming a sponsor, I am hoping they will come aboard, I am cofident that they could be a good partner for us and a service our members and followers will use and benefit from.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lets face it, our members here are gear whores. We buy, sell, buy and sell skis like no other group I know. I recently tried a service called Ship Skis to see how it works and how easy it is. Well, it works great and it is quite frankly easier that not only going to the UPS store let alone using the UPS site. Prices are in line with what UPS/FedEx and USPS charge since they include $500 insurance in the price. What I do like is up till now I that I don't have to make a special trip to my local UPS store to drop the skis off, a driver just picks them up at the house.

Obviously this service was not designed for the ski sellers and buyers, but more for when you travel. Many times it is a hassle to bring your skis to and from the airport, Shipskis will help you free up your time and hands by allowing you to ship your skis to your vacation destination. Anyone who has traveled knows what a pain it is to have to wait for your skis to come off the carousel, usually much after you get the rest of your luggage, then to have to deal with rental car ski racks and the other hassles that go with them. Ship skis will have your skis waiting for you at your hotel destination.

I found their site to be very user friendly when I sent some skis to @Dave Petersen , actually much easier than the UPS site. You have the ability to create and save contact cars for people that you might send skis to in the future. I was impressed enough with the service that I contacted them about becoming a sponsor, I am hoping they will come aboard, I am cofident that they could be a good partner for us and a service our members and followers will use and benefit from.

+1

I used the service for a family trip to Taos last season - it worked great, just drop off your loaded ski bag with the pre-printed forms at the UPS pick up location (or arrange a pickup at your home). The only trick is that you need to be staying at a place that is able/willing to receive the skis on the front end and hold them for pickup on the back end. So for some lodging arrangements it doesn't work as well.

My only recommendation to the service is that for each major destination area, they ought to have an arrangement with a large hotel to be the designated pickup and drop off point to accommodate customers renting condos without a reception area or houses, etc. . . . Then it would be a perfect service.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounded so good I just got a quick quote to ship 1 pr of skis from Toronto to Mammoth. $110 going, $140 returning. I guess its just for you guys in America.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It sounded so good I just got a quick quote to ship 1 pr of skis from Toronto to Mammoth. $110 going, $140 returning. I guess its just for you guys in America.
International shipping is never cheap. But there are benefits in not having to deal with customs and carrying them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bringing skis on the plane to geneva cost $100 each way. Sorry, 100 Euros so more like $107. plus it's a huge hassle to deal with the 26kg bag of two pair plus other stuff getting to ski areas.

Will Smith

Booting up
Skier

Thanks Phil for the shout out! It's great to see the members here who have already used the service and enjoyed it. I wanted to drop a line in the thread so if anyone has questions they can reach out to me.

Ship Skis is always looking to improve the customer experience and simplify travel for the ski community. If you have any input we'd love to hear it!

@LewyM - I'm glad to hear you've had a chance to use the service! Every day we are partnering with more resorts, hotels, travel agents and even ski retailers to create additional points of access for pickups and deliveries. I appreciate your recommendations and look forward to working with you on your next trip to find the most ideal location for delivery!

@graham418 - Our ability to get a bag through customs makes the process of traveling internationally much easier. Typically our international shipments move with DHL and their ability to reach remote ski areas has been exceptional.

@James - Don't forget about the 26kg luggage bag filled with ski clothing. When you travel with the family sending your luggage makes it easier to walk on and off a plane!

James

Out There
Instructor
So how do you get a quote for drop off which I assume is cheaper. The quick quote I got to SUI was nearly $600.

Will Smith

Booting up
Skier
So how do you get a quote for drop off which I assume is cheaper. The quick quote I got to SUI was nearly $600.

Drop Off and Pick-Up are the same price, we leave the option to customer. For some it's easier to drop the bag off at the local carrier or authorized location and for others the pickup is more convenient.

Here's some information based on a single ski shipment to use as reference:
  • A quote on DHL for US to Switzerland would cost around $600 while the Ship Skis quote round trip is $459.98.
  • The Ship Skis shipment includes $500 of insured value and the opportunity to increase the insurance coverage up to $3500.
  • The Ship Skis shipment also includes a Shipment Protection Plan which isn't offered by any carrier to my knowledge. This plan covers up to $200 in reimbursements for rental skis, poles, boots, gloves and a helmet should your shipment encounter any delays (aside from weather related). Obviously our aim is to have your Skis deliver on time but this guarantee is something that sets us apart.
  • The international support team is always monitoring the shipment and around if you have questions on the status of your shipment.
  • Customs documents are generated at the time you book the shipment and provided to you when you print the label.
Let me know if you have any other questions on the international process and I'll be happy to help!

Cheers,
Will

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gear whores ? Why yes, I would agree, most of us meet that discription rather easily. I will check into this but with my zip ( where is that ! ) it's usually, sorry, we don't service that area.

Below is a glimps into my 2SQ trip report that will be coming later in the spring that will discuss the pairs used as well as the travel times, costs associated with two week trips with one here vs. one abroad.

Those of us that travel with the 2SQ + the wifey's can mean 4 pairs and extra poles so 4 sets of them as well.
We just returned from 14 day telluride / boat trip where in fact we came home with five pairs ( thanks to Cyrus ) who shipped out a pair mid trip.
That was 2.5 pairs plus 4 sets of poles in two bags with weight including bag at 47lbs and I didn't even have to take the attacks off ! It also helps that the wife's sambas are light as a feather.

Now travel, airfare and luggage.
The only time I've had to carry skis in and around the terminal was a very odd setup in Montreal to check and recheck after the Canadian TSA
For buisness and personal, we carry two airline cards. All buisness and personal expenses go on these, including paying off the diesel gate TDI buggy from yesterday with AMEX only to cover it with the VW check now in hand within 30 days. Cha ching - 20k mile points !
Both cards -
preferential boarding so the boot bags never leaves your sight.
Free first bag for you and companion - two dakine dbl. concourse of course and second bag, you guessed it, paid for with the card - double points again ! I'm pretty sure I've never paid even a $100 round trip for the extra bag but now I'm curious and will check into it.
@Will Smith - what is the coast to coast lead time vs getting them abroad

Last edited:

Will Smith

Booting up
Skier
@Catskill carver - Our service covers a double ski bag up to 40 lbs. For anyone with a 2SQ who doesn't have your foresight on the elite airline credit cards, getting that bag round trip can be very cost effective. With airline baggage rates on the rise our goal is to take the dent out of the airline cost while reducing the effort involved with getting a bag from the airport to the slopes.

What is the coast to coast lead time vs getting them abroad?

Each trip has it's own time and transit based on the carrier policies. I've provided an example below of the coast to coast travel times. For our International service the transit times vary based on customs clearance processes and remote area destinations. Typically we won't see an international transit time beyond 10 business days.

From Stowe VT 05672 To Olymic Valley CA 96146 the following service levels are offered.
  1. Next Day Air - Overnight
  2. Two Day Air - 2 Business Days
  3. Three Day - 3 Business Days
  4. Ground - 6 Business Days (i.e. Pickup on Wednesday with guaranteed delivery Thursday of the following week.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Shipping anything, especially skis a mega hassle to me these days. I'd gladly pay $25 for a service that comes to my home, takes the item and an address, then pa la and ships it for me. Otherwise its either going to goodwill or back yard art when I no longer have any use for it. Also do the Craigslist free and put it on the curb if i think someone around here would use it.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
If I'm shipping skis to a buyer, how does the packaging part work? Packaging skis, especially if they have bindings mounted, always seems awkward to me. The local UPS Brown store doesn't carry boxes that work. OTOH, skis I buy from sellers on Ebay, Epic, etc always seem to be neatly packaged in a box that is exactly the right size. Shipping out of zip 82901. Maybe I'm missing where you cover that on the site, but it almost seems as if we'd be packaging in a ski bag designed for air travel rather than parcel post.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
International shipping is never cheap. But there are benefits in not having to deal with customs and carrying them.

Sitting here in NZ I sigh in envy at the ski deals being offered in the USofA. I've got skis from Level 9 for $29US shipped to here before, so how can they do this so cheaply?

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here are a few options for taking skis and big bags to Europe: I have a United card that allows me to send skis with my luggage at no charge. Since I use United to go to Zurich and Geneva, it works well for me. If you are flying into Switzerland and staying at a Swiss resort, check this out: https://www.raileurope.com/activities/fly-rail-baggage-to-switzerland/index.html?bookEng=Activities. You tag your bag (ski bag included) at any US airport and it shows up at the train station at your Swiss destination by 6:00PM on your day of arrival. You don't have to pick it up in baggage claim, or schlep it onto a train, van or rental car. If you hotel is amenable, they will go to the train station and pick your stuff up and bring it to the hotel. There is a charge for this service ($50 per bag I think) but its well worth it in most cases, particularly if you are a changing trains along the way.
In the old pre-TSA days, you could check your bags to your final US destination from any Swiss train station the night before your flight. Too bad that one went away.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm looking at a vintage bicycle listed in Miami eBay as local pick up only. Do these folks ship bikes too? @Will Smith if I were to complete the transaction could I email you the PayPal receipt and then one of your folks takes that to the location of the seller with the bike, picks it up there in Miami, then ships it to me in North Carolina?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm looking at a vintage bicycle listed in Miami eBay as local pick up only. Do these folks ship bikes too? @Will Smith if I were to complete the transaction could I email you the PayPal receipt and then one of your folks takes that to the location of the seller with the bike, picks it up there in Miami, then ships it to me in North Carolina?

From the looks of your website you don't do the boxing up of the items but simply handle notifying the carrier of where and when to pick up the already boxed and labeled item. The boxing and labeling is the part I would need someone in Miami to do for me.. Ideally, pick up the bike unboxed, take it to the UPS/FedEx store then box it there and ship it to my NC address so the seller does not have do do anything except check the receipt copy and hand the bike to your folks unboxed.

I guess I need a professional courier service (or a good friend in Miami) to do something like that??

Sponsor

Staff online