• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Separated my shoulder again

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Its been at least 5 years since I've through this. I'm in a sling for now. I'm putting off surgery bc I'm smart. Any tips?

The last time I went through this I picked up scullying and it strengthened up my shoulder real quick.

Pic is from 2011.
vailsling.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oooof. sorry to hear.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well that sucks. If you can find a high school assistant football coach he can help you avoid surgery although they don't always succeed on the first try. At least back in the day that's how they rolled. Beyond that I have nothing.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ouchie. Twice in years is not too bad. By the time my daughter had her shoulder surgery, she would wake up in the morning and it would be out of joint or she would high-five someone and it would come out. Her surgery was pretty complicated requiring 9 anchors and complete immobilization for six weeks. But, I really think it depends on how you feel and how stable it feels. That's pretty much the reason a couple of other friends had their surgeries. Their shoulders just didn't feel stable for their lifestyles. Consequently, their surgeries weren't as complicated as my daughters. And they all went to the same surgeon

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
They grade those 1-5 with 1 being least and 5 being worst. 4 and 5 require surgery. One doesn't. Two and three are marginal. I did it two years ago and it was right between 1 and 2. PT hooked me up nicely. Those exercises with bands, well, I still do them. Resistance bands are nice to the joints.

BTW, a separated shoulder and dislocated shoulder are two different things. I think @Lorenzzo is confusing the two. A separated shoulder doesn't need to just be "put back in".

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Its been at least 5 years since I've through this. I'm in a sling for now. I'm putting off surgery bc I'm smart. Any tips?

The last time I went through this I picked up scullying and it strengthened up my shoulder real quick.

Pic is from 2011.
View attachment 19763

so how are you at landings on the Hudson???ogwink

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They grade those 1-5 with 1 being least and 5 being worst. 4 and 5 require surgery. One doesn't. Two and three are marginal. I did it two years ago and it was right between 1 and 2. PT hooked me up nicely. Those exercises with bands, well, I still do them. Resistance bands are nice to the joints.

BTW, a separated shoulder and dislocated shoulder are two different things. I think @Lorenzzo is confusing the two. A separated shoulder doesn't need to just be "put back in".
Yeah I know the difference… I was being obtuse.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
As skibob said..maybe others..here they're graded 1-3, 3 being operation territory. I've had a bunch of 1 and 2 grade separations and for the most part, they resolve on their own in 2-4 weeks. I don't have ongoing issues with them either, they seem to heal up almost overnight one night and I'm good to go from then on. I've probably had 5 separated shoulders over the years and one broken collarbone. The collarbone still aches from time to time..

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
As skibob said..maybe others..here they're graded 1-3, 3 being operation territory. I've had a bunch of 1 and 2 grade separations and for the most part, they resolve on their own in 2-4 weeks. I don't have ongoing issues with them either, they seem to heal up almost overnight one night and I'm good to go from then on. I've probably had 5 separated shoulders over the years and one broken collarbone. The collarbone still aches from time to time..
Your forgetting to convert your Canadian injuries into US injuries ;).

TS
TheBestSkier

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
so how are you at landings on the Hudson???ogwink

I've only rowed the Black Warrior River in Tuscaloosa, AL (roll tide). I'm going to join the Lake Dillon Rowing club this summer so I can build it back up.

The shoulder is a lot better today. I'm keeping my arm in a sling for now. I've already got a good range of motion so I'm not as upset. I found a sports medicine friend and they touched it and said I was faking it so I should be good to go soon. I was scared yesterday because I can't really operate a snowmobile with one arm.

The original injury happened during a tonsillectomy 10 years ago. I woke up in the ER with two dislocated shoulders (US) and a bloody throat. My shoulders were set by nurses trying to hold me down. 6 years ago I separated (US level 3) my left shoulder while snowboarding. I haven't had any issues until yesterday. I finished working on my buddy's sled and mine and was pretty excited about the work I had accomplished. I touched the release button on a jack and it jolted my shoulder and then I was toast.

I will be taking it easy and then using the resistance bands. Thanks for the concern and tips everyone.​

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
DUUUUDE! So Sorry. Heal up and get some advice from a good OS; do you have insurance that Steadman takes?

Sponsor

Staff online