• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sanity Check (please)

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
So, I have some lovely new Renoun Z-90's :golfclap: with nothing to hold them to my boots but wishful thinking. To rectify that, I am seriously considering Fischer FreeFlex 17's from our fine sponsor Ski Essentials. They have nice low stack heights (14 toe / 17 heel) and the 3mm delta puts them on the flatter side, which I prefer.

They are probably heavier than most, but I can't find a published weight. I'm also not sure of the brake width, but I suspect they are 85mm based on Fischer's other models. Could that be made to work? If not, do they share brakes with other Tyrolia/Head models that sport wider stoppers?

Most importantly, though, is that I typically ride a DIN of 8 ... 9 if I'm all hopped up on Fruity Pebbles and feeling crazy. Is this just way more binding than I need or want? Am I missing some other disqualifying factor?

The other options on the table are the STH2 Drivers or Pivot 12/14. My hesitation on the Solly is the delta. Yes, I could shim the toe. The only thing keeping me from slapping on Pivots? I'm feeling "bind-curious". My first three sets of skis had Geze and every subsequent ski has had Look. Is the grass greener? Should I visit the neighbor and see??

At the end of the day these are all top bindings. There is no wrong answer .... so I'm open to opinions! ogsmile I need to hurry though, ski season is just a handful of months away!

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
"Sanity" is overrated. Seriously, from a functionality standpoint, you can't make a mistake these days. As long as you are not buying a cheap (sub $175) binding, you are fine. Now....delta is a different subject and one you should be aware of but probably not obsess over. Within a few mm either way you are probably good to go. The Z-17 could be be a few different versions. Some are called "RD" and those are pretty serious binders with a lot of metal in the housings, a static AFD, and a DIN range that is going to start around 9 or so. There are also FF-17 bindings that use the excellent Tyrolia Caterpillar AFD and have lighter housings and a DIN range that starts at like 6 or so. This latter would be a fine call while the former may not.

I have an RDX 18 (Head brand) that is going on my hard snow ski for next year. This is an 8-18 range with all metal toe and heel housings and a fixed Afd. It is a heavy binding but I don't think that for the type of ski I'm going to put it on, that it will matter much. OTH, for something with more all all mountain applications, the Z-17 might be a bit much if it is an RD version. If it is the version with more plastic in the housings and the mobile "caterpillar" AFD then it'll be fine.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have a pair of FF17+, bought a few years ago, okay several years ago. They have the track rubber track anti-friction device, a DIN from 6 to 17, lot's of metal and work great. Go ahead and get the Fischer bindings. I'm sure there is a way to get brakes for them that will fit your skis.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
85mm brakes on 90mm skis are no problem (so I've been told by people who know more than I ever will)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can really switch it up and go Tele too. ;) I agree with @Sierrajim, if you re going with a FF, do it right and go all in and get the RD with the solid AFD which is a step up from the caterpillar ( or tractor) AFD. I don't hve one here to measure at the moment but IIRC the Salomon Sth2 has a very minimal delta too. Again if you are looking for a solid binding, you mentioned the Pivot 12/14 why not the 18 or is the low end of the range, 8, too much? This is again where the Pivot 15 would be an ideal canditate with it's 6-15 range. I ran the all metal 18's one one pair of my Renouns and they were perfect.

TS
Mickey

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
"Sanity" is overrated. Seriously, from a functionality standpoint, you can't make a mistake these days. As long as you are not buying a cheap (sub $175) binding, you are fine. Now....delta is a different subject and one you should be aware of but probably not obsess over. Within a few mm either way you are probably good to go. The Z-17 could be be a few different versions. Some are called "RD" and those are pretty serious binders with a lot of metal in the housings, a static AFD, and a DIN range that is going to start around 9 or so. There are also FF-17 bindings that use the excellent Tyrolia Caterpillar AFD and have lighter housings and a DIN range that starts at like 6 or so. This latter would be a fine call while the former may not.

I have an RDX 18 (Head brand) that is going on my hard snow ski for next year. This is an 8-18 range with all metal toe and heel housings and a fixed Afd. It is a heavy binding but I don't think that for the type of ski I'm going to put it on, that it will matter much. OTH, for something with more all all mountain applications, the Z-17 might be a bit much if it is an RD version. If it is the version with more plastic in the housings and the mobile "caterpillar" AFD then it'll be fine.

Thanks! I embedded a link in my message, but it's pretty easy to miss. The exact version is HERE. It's a 2015, "Catepiller: AFD, and DIN 6-17.

TS
Mickey

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
You can really switch it up and go Tele too. ;) I agree with @Sierrajim, if you re going with a FF, do it right and go all in and get the RD with the solid AFD which is a step up from the caterpillar ( or tractor) AFD. I don't hve one here to measure at the moment but IIRC the Salomon Sth2 has a very minimal delta too. Again if you are looking for a solid binding, you mentioned the Pivot 12/14 why not the 18 or is the low end of the range, 8, too much? This is again where the Pivot 15 would be an ideal canditate with it's 6-15 range. I ran the all metal 18's one one pair of my Renouns and they were perfect.

STH2 is 6mm delta (18.5 toe / 24.5 heel)
Pivot is 1mm delta (18 toe / 19 heel)

I'm not hard on bindings, so metal isn't a must for me. I want solid, but I don't need bullet resistant.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can really switch it up and go Tele too. ;) ........

Shirley, you jest .....

First of all, NO 75 mm bindings allowed, only NTN: Outlaws (22D) would be my recommendation for the Z-90s - avoid the Rotte Freedoms, though, if ramp is an issue.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
STH2 is 6mm delta (18.5 toe / 24.5 heel)
Pivot is 1mm delta (18 toe / 19 heel)

I'm not hard on bindings, so metal isn't a must for me. I want solid, but I don't need bullet resistant.
Yup..I went back into my files, the Sally is indeed 6mm. FWIW, the Pivot 12 and 14 IS the same binding so you can get the 12 and not compromise anything from the 14. I will add the short mount distance of the Pivot can be felt on the Renoun compared to a solid heel..but the FF will also allow the heel to float too.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have a pair of 97mm attack 13 bindings that need a home. I was planning on taking off the marker griffons from my Kenjas cause I hate the griffons and put the attacks on them. Is 97mm too much overhang for the 90mm or would I bet better off getting the 85mm attacks?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a pair of 97mm attack 13 bindings that need a home. I was planning on taking off the marker griffons from my Kenjas cause I hate the griffons and put the attacks on them. Is 97mm too much overhang for the 90mm or would I bet better off getting the 85mm attacks?
The narrower ones would be better, you should be able to buy them at any Tyrolia retailer, part number is 162956

TS
Mickey

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
Yup..I went back into my files, the Sally is indeed 6mm. FWIW, the Pivot 12 and 14 IS the same binding so you can get the 12 and not compromise anything from the 14. I will add the short mount distance of the Pivot can be felt on the Renoun compared to a solid heel..but the FF will also allow the heel to float too.

Do you endorse bending brakes on Pivots? Generally speaking, getting a 95mm is no problem. I kinda like one of the old FKS colors, though, and can only find it with 115mm and 130mm brakes.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you endorse bending brakes on Pivots? Generally speaking, getting a 95mm is no problem. I kinda like one of the old FKS colors, though, and can only find it with 115mm and 130mm brakes.
Pivot brakes do not bend easily. You will have to swap pedestals to get different brakes.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The FFs are excellent bindings. The17 is normally only with the "caterpillar " toe and the tab (as opposed to worm screw on the RD ) heel. The RDs, as mentioned by Sierra Jim, normally come in 16, 18 and 20 and are even better as it is a more solid binding andyou get the micro adjustment on forward pressure. IIRC the ramp/ delta is also Smaller on the RD . No weight difference that I haveidentified between them either although the RD 20 is allegedly heavier than the 16.

I do have an almost new pair of Head RD 16 s if you are interested and also new Head and Fischer RD 20s but these would be overkill since they start at 10 Din

TS
Mickey

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
The narrower ones would be better, you should be able to buy them at any Tyrolia retailer, part number is 162956

For @surfsnowgirl and any body else that might stumble onto this.....

The P/N @Philpug gave is for the 88mm Race Pro FR brakes. Those might be perfect on a 90mm waist ski, but I can't say. I CAN tell you that the 85mm Power Brake Race Pro brakes that come with many of the Freeflex models, the Attack, etc. do not fit a 90mm waist. I haven't tried bending them, but they are too tight right at the top, so a small tweak isn't going to cut it.
.....and if anybody has a pair of 95mm brakes they want to trade for 85mm, just shoot me a PM. :crossfingers:

Sponsor

Staff online