• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety on the road

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This recent news that Eric Fishbein was killed wile he was competing in the Tran Am Race Across America had me wondering about general practices of races like this as well as safety on the road in general.

The details of this accident state that he was hit by a car at 10:10 PM. One of the other racers who commented on Facebook stated that it was raining.

First of all, I'd never consider riding at 10PM in the rain, in part because I'm a creature of comfort and in part because the visibility is terrible. But the competitors are pushing for a goal, and not necessarily creatures of comfort.
I would imagine that there is support staff for the event, if not for the individuals, but I don't know. :huh:

So, while this is terribly sad news from the bike community, I'd like to get a better understanding of it.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd missed that news and am incredibly saddened by it.

Each team does have a support crew and a colleague's brother is the team doctor for Christoph Strasser who is currently leading by 400+ miles. I'd hoped to get down and see them in Colorado but the timing was off by more than a day. Their time predictions had him coming through in the early morning hours Saturday so I would have had to drive down Friday. However, as it turned out he came through midday on Friday and I wouldn't have made it anyway.

A number of years ago I had the opportunity to crew for the Race Across the West which is part of the Race Across America but was laid off and job hunting at the time so couldn't go far from home. Nor did I have the funding.

I agree that I don't road ride in the dark. Heck, the only time I've ridden in the dark was to support a friend's running race and that was on a local multi-use trail and still freaked me out.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The unfortunate part is that this is becoming an all too frequent event. For a time I thought that drivers were becoming more aware of cyclists, and more accepting to sharing the road, but lately it seems that isn't the case.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's an unsupported race on open public roads. So you get what you get. I mean it's not really any more dangerous than riding your bike any other day. Granted it's night time but many people do this. I don't see it as being inherently dangerous. Just an unfortunate cycling accident.

scott43

Skier
The unfortunate part is that this is becoming an all too frequent event. For a time I thought that drivers were becoming more aware of cyclists, and more accepting to sharing the road, but lately it seems that isn't the case.
Yeah I mean we all cycle in the dark at times. It's dangerous to some degree no matter what. Acceptable risk I suppose but still doesn't make it ok to get hit.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier

I think it depends where you are. When I lived in Durango I rode on the streets all the time (I didn't even own a car) and never once felt that a driver was being dangerous or discourteous. Then I moved to Colorado Springs and I got the impression they were aiming for me. Switched to trail riding and I try to avoid riding on streets at all costs now, day or night. I just don't feel safe.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
That's an unsupported race on open public roads. So you get what you get. I mean it's not really any more dangerous than riding your bike any other day. Granted it's night time but many people do this. I don't see it as being inherently dangerous. Just an unfortunate cycling accident.
So this is a bicycle version of the Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash, right? I take it every racer picks and chooses their own route and schedule as they make their way from start to finish, so it's every man for himself and conditions encountered by the participants are variable and unpredictable.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah I mean we all cycle in the dark at times. It's dangerous to some degree no matter what. Acceptable risk I suppose but still doesn't make it ok to get hit.
While I agree that its not okay to get hit, situations like this scare me as a driver.
I've been driving on roads and didn't see a cyclist because of sun in my eyes, and I can't imagine how I'd feel if I hit someone because they weren't visible when its dark and raining. I sure as heck don't take situations like this lightly, but even super cautious drivers who conscious of bikers could be caught off guard in situations like this.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Riding a bike at night in the rain, knowing what I know about the lowest common denominator vision and driving ability of your average North American driver, is one of the most dangerous things I've managed to do. And I've done some pretty scary stuff (e.g. driving a buck thirty five around 45 mph recommended corners, drifting, speeding through snow storms, skiing insane back country lines alone - and that's sober!).

scott43

Skier
While I agree that its not okay to get hit, situations like this scare me as a driver.
I've been driving on roads and didn't see a cyclist because of sun in my eyes, and I can't imagine how I'd feel if I hit someone because they weren't visible when its dark and raining. I sure as heck don't take situations like this lightly, but even super cautious drivers who conscious of bikers could be caught off guard in situations like this.
Well, as drivers, we have a responsibility to be competent. There is a huge responsibility as a driver and I think that's often overlooked because we treat cars as #1. I'm sure he wasn't driving with all-black and no lights..I'm pretty sure he would have been well-lit and probably had reflective clothing. They have a right to be there..I don't know you can change the risk without changing the rules..and that probably ain't gonna happen.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January