• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Revision Skis shut down after alert by BBB

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After a crowdfunding to get them off the ground, and good call outs last year, Revision Skis has been shut down after alert by the Better Business Bureau as reported by Newschoolers and Powder Magazine

Bill Wanrooy claimed a sustainably made and inexpensive selection of urban skis when they lauched.

After several formal complaints from customers who paid for their skis which were never delivered, the BBB investigated and eventually put an alert on Revision Skis.
According to a thread on Newschoolers, currently 331 pairs of Revision Skis, approximately one-third of their total annual production, are being sold on Skis.com for a 50 percent discount.

Since the alert by the Better Business Bureau, Revision Skis' website and all social media outlets have been shut down.

revision-skis-wwnvmvbtvo.png

Edit: Clarify actions of BBB

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Its a bit of splitting hairs, but the BBB can't shut anybody down. Give them bad publicity that contributes to going out of business? Sure (and rightfully so in this case it would seem). But BBB is a private entity with absolutely no actual power or authority.

Last edited:

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
Good. Screw those a-holes. That said I just got a brand new pair of their skis for next to free and don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its a bit of splitting hairs, but the BBB can't shut anybody down. Give them bad publicity that contributes to going out of business? Sure (and rightfully so in this case it would seem). But BBB is a private entity with absolutely no actual power or authority.
Yeah, my wording was wrong. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I've edited the title

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good. Screw those a-holes. That said I just got a brand new pair of their skis for next to free and don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.
The sad thing is, they have the $$$ from people who never got their skis.
:huh:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The sad thing is, they have the $$$ from people who never got their skis.
:huh:
If I were one of the victims, I'd contact the Attorney General of the state and county where they were based. There are circumstances where a company goes out of business and can't deliver. But this sounds on the face of it like it might be theft and/or fraud.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fox31 in Denver did a story about this. Apparently it is being alleged that ski.com got their skis from some liquidator? I don't know the facts just happened to catch it on the news but remember the story was run after July 4. @skibob pretty sure they are out of Littleton

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fox31 in Denver did a story about this. Apparently it is being alleged that ski.com got their skis from some liquidator? I don't know the facts just happened to catch it on the news but remember the story was run after July 4. @skibob pretty sure they are out of Littleton
One of the articles I read said same. I think its probably that factory in Quebec? The factory didn't get paid, so they liquidated. Not an extraordinary event in and of itself.

I believe @nay is an attorney in CO. He may have more thoughts, but it looks like something that a prosecutor ought to be looking into . . .

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
EDIT: Just realized this was the same link on the "New Schoolers" link @Tricia put up on OP...feel free to delete the post if it's too redundant.

New Schoolers did a pretty thorough article about "The Rise and Fall of Revision Skis", sounds like a lot of their forum members got screwed over.

I started copying highlights...then quickly realized I found each paragraph pretty important in the story...Source.

On the 28th of June, the Better Business Bureau issued a scam warning for Revision Skis, citing customer complaints that ski orders valued between $300 and $750 had not been fulfilled. This won't have come as a massive shock to our forum users, who for almost a year have discussed Revision's failure to deliver pre-orders placed last summer. Despite repeated attempts by Newschoolers journalists and countless customers over the last few months, almost no one has succeeded in contacting Revision directly. In the words of Revision pro Spencer Millbocker, even the team were "as much in the dark as anybody else."

A large stock of Revision Skis, totalling 331 pairs, was recently discovered on Skis.com, which according to our sources represents approximately a third of Revision's total production for the year.

When asked about the stock of Revision, Skis.com's buyer told NS member a_burger that they "went through a third party company that liquidates inventory for warehouses to purchase these skis. We have had no contact of any kind with Revision in the purchase of these skis. Typically when we make these types of purchases through third parties, it is product that [sic] brand had not paid the production and/or warehousing bills for but we never know the exact circumstance."

While we have no information to confirm that these are indeed the customers' missing skis, a Skis.com representative also confirmed to Newschoolers' Matt Sklar that their purchase of skis leads them to believe, as we have suspected since the website went down at the beginning of July, Revision Skis may have shut down for good.

Yet, just 12 months ago, Revision was at the peak of a rapid rise. The company took the ski industry by storm and became one of the more popular small ski brands, courtesy of a team of innovative skiers including members of The Bunch, Sandy Boville, Mike King and more. They also offered a warranty policy which covered rail damage something unheard of in the industry at that time. Many saw this approach to marketing as supporting the core of skiing, giving the brand a dedicated following and the orders were flooding in.

The initial success might have been due to the fact that Revision was not owner Bill Wanrooy's first foray into the ski industry. He was a founding member of the now defunct Epic Planks, and it appeared he learned from the mistakes of that company.

The details of a complicated situation surrounding the demise of Epic Planks, and a related legal case involving Batalla Skis (whose skis were produced by the Epic Planks factory) remain unclear, but the rumours continue in the forums. Batalla eventually went out of business, unable to fulfill ski orders. TJ, the former owner of Batalla, was unable to comment on that company's situation due to legal reasons.

Wanrooy has not responded to multiple requests for comment, and it is evident is that the current situation with Revision Skis is not the owner's first involvement in a ski company's failure to deliver product or in a failed ski industry business. So what happened this time?

In August 2016, Revision opened pre-orders for the coming season, with skis slated to be delivered around Thanksgiving. It's unclear exactly how many orders were ultimately fulfilled, but given the growing outrage from customers in our forum, it would appear that very few of them ever received skis.

Among the few who have is European retailer Blind 2, which ordered approximately 100 pairs and finally received their delivery in March. They, unlike many of our members, managed to keep a degree of communication going with Revision through the early part of this year. According to the store manager, Francesco they lost contact several months ago, after making an offer to Wanrooy to take over the brand, who told me that "[they] wanted to try to fix it, take over [the] social media accounts and go ahead to keep the brand alive as it was supposed to be." Blind 2, like Revision, sold the skis on a pre-order basis, but by the end of 2016 they were forced to start refunding customers who were "fed up with waiting". By the time the skis were delivered in March, they had refunded all but two remaining faithful skiers.

According to our forum members, direct customers stateside have been less fortunate. This infamous thread details months of frustration, disappointment, and confusion on the part of skiers who participated in the pre-orders. Nearly a year later, many are still without their skis.

Some have filed claims with their banks. Some, like NS member tdollo, have been successful. Others were denied by their banks due to policy terms. And an unlucky few, like NS member reet.gang, even had their chargeback claims challenged by Revision on the basis of extended delivery dates, leading to the banks cancelling their refunds. That's not the only example of Revision seeming to treat its customers with contempt. While some customers who pre-ordered last August are still without skis, others who ordered much later have received them. The difference? The later orders were full priced, while the pre-orders were discounted.

Revision originally attributed the delay in production to a factory error. They announced, via their account on Newschoolers, that "unfortunately the factory started our build by pressing a fair amount of skis with full poplar cores (last year's spec), rather than poplar/bamboo cores as designed and ordered for 2016/2017. We had to ask them to replace those pairs for build consistency and to deliver skis as promised, which set everything back."

We discovered that Revision's skis were produced by Guangzhou Hike Sports Equipment in China and Newschoolers member Peter Germaine, who previously worked with both the factory and Revision Skis, contacted them on our behalf. Interestingly, the factory challenged claims of an issue with the cores, telling us they did not "have any trouble in doing the core material. Last season all Bill's skis [were built] with poplar plus bamboo core". Instead, they attributed the delays to two things. Firstly, they told us that while they normally expect orders to be placed "before August" the Revision order wasn't placed until "almost [the] end of September". They went on to say there was another delay in actually shipping the skis, because they had to wait almost a month for Bill to pay the balance. If their account of events is accurate, that paints the actions of Revision in an even more damning light.

The factory also gave us details on production, so we now know that 1,000 pairs were produced and shipped to various locations worldwide. Online shipping records show the same factory shipped 114 cartons to the United States, which, according to the factory policy of 5 pairs per carton, would suggest 570 pairs in total.

If that number is accurate, then the 331 pairs that Skis.com holds may represent just under 60% of the total US shipment. A customer service representative at Skis.com told Matt Sklar that they believe their skis represent the remaining US inventory of Revision Skis and that they received those skis as early as March.

Perhaps Revision received and distributed direct-sold skis to customers from another source, but if the online shipping records are correct it would appear that the company distributed 239 pairs of skis. If Skis.com's explanation of where its stock normally comes from is correct, it would appear that Revision became unable to fulfill further orders sometime during or before March.

In April, Revision sent out one last mass email stating "[we] are committed to resolving any outstanding issues you may have with your order. If you have any outstanding issues that need resolution, please send them to us via this form and we will work with you to resolve your issues in a timely manner." Several Newschoolers members reported submitting the customer service form, and have still not received responses. Since then, we have been unable to find any evidence of further communication, nor delivery of skis to customers or successful refunds.

The one tiny silver lining to this whole cloud, is that it has been amazing to see members of the ski community stepping in to help out those whose ski orders haven't been fulfilled. Logan Imlach, Faction Skis and many individuals have been exemplifying what makes the Newschoolers community so great. Imlach, via Armada Skis, gave away a few pairs of demo skis at the price of shipping, Faction offered previous years' models, Level 9 Sports offered "heavy discounts" and individuals offered up their own used skis.

But it is hard to see any way for this once burgeoning ski company to recover with orders still unfilled, and liquidators selling the skis. Skiers like NS member a_burger have given up on ever receiving either their money back or the skis that Revision have thus far failed to deliver. We have spent much of the last few months digging into the issue and we have failed to turn up anything that suggests Revision's disappointed customers should expect any further communication, product or remuneration from Revision Skis. If that does turn out to be the case, this is, the most shocking ski industry scandal any of us at Newschoolers have seen in our time.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
One of the articles I read said same. I think its probably that factory in Quebec? The factory didn't get paid, so they liquidated. Not an extraordinary event in and of itself.

I believe @nay is an attorney in CO. He may have more thoughts, but it looks like something that a prosecutor ought to be looking into . . .

I'm not an attorney (I negotiate large enterprise global technology sales and supply chain agreements at the business development level), but presuming Revision filed bankruptcy anybody owed money is a creditor, and it's unlikely there is much to liquidate and other creditors if any probably have priority.

If the whole point was to defraud that's another story, but it sounds like there were ongoing operations so that's a bit of a hard claim to make on the surface. Bad management and fraud aren't the same thing. Small ski companies liquidate inventory all the time. Saga is selling stuff for 80% off right now, for example.

Reality is something like this has very low damages, especially at the individual level, and very low emotional value in court, i.e. the "injury" is purely financial and bad debt is hardly anything new. Customers and suppliers get caught up in these things and they tend to cascade quickly once the customer pipeline begins to pull the plug.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My current COREupt Lunatic daily drivers are the result of another boutique bankruptcy. Got the skis new in shrink for $100 delivered thinking they would probably suck. Were base high in need of a full tune but cleaned up quite nicely..

Is Kicker still kicking? I remember demoing a pair two years ago but don't recall hearing anything about them at all last season.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier

Nope, not the Utopie factory. Revision were actually made in China. I have seen some of the shipping invoices.