• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renoun Z90 vs 2018 Bonafide

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been reading the reviews on these skis and appreciate the detailed reviews people have written. If anyone has had the chance to ski both I'd like to hear your comparison of them (or the Endurance). I was planning on buying another ski this year but after reading about the Renoun Z90 and 2018 Bonafide (and lack of snow in Vermont) I'll probably wait until next year when I might get a chance to demo them. I don't know if I'll get a chance to demo the Renoun but I should be able to ski the Bonafide for a day. I also agree with other posters that I don't feel comfortable buying a ski and returning it in the 100 day trial period but I give credit to Renoun for making that option available.
I ski on the 2013/2014 Bonafide, 173 cm. I really like the ski, stable, can make quick turns or let it run. My only knock on the ski is that if I need to ski slow it's more difficult to make quick turns. That's not a real complaint about the ski,I was impressed the first time I skied it and still am. I do most of my skiing in Vermont, 5'8", 165 pounds. Probably more of a finesse skier than speed machine. Also ski a Q-105 (174) and Scott Mission (178) when conditions are right.
So I'm probably looking for the "holy grail" of skis - great stability, good on ice, blows through crud, and quick turning when skiing fast or slow. If you've had the chance to ski the 2018 Bones or Renoun I'd appreciate hearing what you think of them. Thanks

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@cmackvt Sorry this got buried after your post in March
I'll move it over to the Ski Gear Discussion area and see what kind of help you can get.
@Philpug as well as @Drahtguy Kevin and @FairToMiddlin have all been on both of these skis. I'm sure you'll be overwhelmed with advice not.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:popcorn: Interested as well to hear what the comparison looks like, me a current Z90 owner and original bones driver. Must say I'm looking again to the boys from west Lebanon and their 18 offerings.
Z90 is a blast for sure but the bones might be more of a OSQ for all mountain adventure.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As a One ski, and for your size, the Z90 would be my suggestion..and if you must have a Blizzard, the new Brahma which has the same DNA as the new Bonafide.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been reading the reviews on these skis and appreciate the detailed reviews people have written. If anyone has had the chance to ski both I'd like to hear your comparison of them (or the Endurance). I was planning on buying another ski this year but after reading about the Renoun Z90 and 2018 Bonafide (and lack of snow in Vermont) I'll probably wait until next year when I might get a chance to demo them. I don't know if I'll get a chance to demo the Renoun but I should be able to ski the Bonafide for a day. I also agree with other posters that I don't feel comfortable buying a ski and returning it in the 100 day trial period but I give credit to Renoun for making that option available.
I ski on the 2013/2014 Bonafide, 173 cm. I really like the ski, stable, can make quick turns or let it run. My only knock on the ski is that if I need to ski slow it's more difficult to make quick turns. That's not a real complaint about the ski,I was impressed the first time I skied it and still am. I do most of my skiing in Vermont, 5'8", 165 pounds. Probably more of a finesse skier than speed machine. Also ski a Q-105 (174) and Scott Mission (178) when conditions are right.
So I'm probably looking for the "holy grail" of skis - great stability, good on ice, blows through crud, and quick turning when skiing fast or slow. If you've had the chance to ski the 2018 Bones or Renoun I'd appreciate hearing what you think of them. Thanks
That is one of several impressive things about the Z90. If you hand flex it, its not overly stiff. In comparison to to Motive 95: Similar shovel and under foot, softer tail. In comparison to Monster 88: similar underfoot, softer shovel and tail. Because of this, it skis fine slow. Its not giving you a lot of feedback, I don't think any ski is going to. But its responsive and easy, not planky at all.

The cool thing is, the more input you give it, the stiffer it gets. So there isn't really a tradeoff. Its something Head claimed of their "KERS" technology. I never could really feel it. Other much more experienced skiers, like @Philpug have said (IIRC) that they can feel it. I was a much less skilled skier last time I was on a KERS ski, so I don't know that I can compare. Also, the Z-90 has the HDT polymer in the shovel and I believe mid section of the ski too. KERS I believe is only the tail. I am generally pretty skeptical of "technologies" claimed by ski makers. But this is one I really can feel. Stiffens in response to input, and dampens in response to speed.

BTW, @Cyrus Schenck is in your area. You might want to reach out to him about demoing next winter.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ agreed Phil, especially at his size and location

Interesting cut and paste below from TGR blizzard thread, the poster seems like a blizzard Rep in the know. Sounds like blizzard has added a layer of rubber to the bones ? Hmmmm

2m more sidecut. Old Bonafide 180 was 20, new is 18. Rocker is maybe 3-5cm less down the length of the ski but tip gets more curvature to help it plane better, less tip dive. Also now a layer of rubber between the two top sheets of metal under foot. Some say they feel more supple now?? Allows the metal to sheer better. Just a little more modern versions of old skis. Molds were dated.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
As a One ski, and for your size, the Z90 would be my suggestion..and if you must have a Blizzard, the new Brahma which has the same DNA as the new Bonafide.

Honestly, I can't see the need for a Brahma w/ a Z-90 in the closet. Agree with Phil's accessment for the OP's size and weight.

TS
cmackvt

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the feedback.
I did get the chance to demo some skis this year after I asked this question. I demoed the Ripstick 96 (174) and Enforcer 93 (177) on a day with lots of fresh snow at Killington and the Z90 (174) at Sugarbush on a foggy day with eastern hardpack conditions. I skied a few others but these were the one that stood out. The Ripstick surprised me, stable, quick, wasn't deflected by piles of snow. Nice ski, first Elan I've ever skied. The Enforcer was a solid ski but I think it wasn't as solid when I hit piles of snow as the Ripstick or Bonafide.
The Z90 was very quick edge to edge, and stable. I was able to ski the Bonafide on the same trails after I finished with the Z90. Different turn shape but I didn't think the Z90 was any less stable or was deflected easier than the Bones (173).I never had (took) the chance to try and ski the Z90 slow. I haven't been on a narrow ski for a while but I was surprised at how quick and tight I could make turns on the Z90. I also thought it might have been "easier" on me than the Bonafide but I only had 5 or 6 runs on the Z90 and I skied the Bonafide before and after I demoed so don't know if this is true or not..
I tried the Endurance (178) in the afternoon but conditions were poor and I was beat so don't think it was a fair comparison to the Z90.

I looked at the size recommendation on the Renoun site and they would put me on a shorter ski (169) than I skied (174) . Any comments on that would be appreciated. I down sized to 173 and 174 on the last 2 skis I bought but I'm hesitant on moving shorter.

Last day on skis today. Superstar in the rain at Killington. I might ski it in June just to say I did, but steep, tight bumps are more exercise than fun for me now.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for the feedback.
I did get the chance to demo some skis this year after I asked this question. I demoed the Ripstick 96 (174) and Enforcer 93 (177) on a day with lots of fresh snow at Killington and the Z90 (174) at Sugarbush on a foggy day with eastern hardpack conditions. I skied a few others but these were the one that stood out. The Ripstick surprised me, stable, quick, wasn't deflected by piles of snow. Nice ski, first Elan I've ever skied. The Enforcer was a solid ski but I think it wasn't as solid when I hit piles of snow as the Ripstick or Bonafide.
The Z90 was very quick edge to edge, and stable. I was able to ski the Bonafide on the same trails after I finished with the Z90. Different turn shape but I didn't think the Z90 was any less stable or was deflected easier than the Bones (173).I never had (took) the chance to try and ski the Z90 slow. I haven't been on a narrow ski for a while but I was surprised at how quick and tight I could make turns on the Z90. I also thought it might have been "easier" on me than the Bonafide but I only had 5 or 6 runs on the Z90 and I skied the Bonafide before and after I demoed so don't know if this is true or not..
I tried the Endurance (178) in the afternoon but conditions were poor and I was beat so don't think it was a fair comparison to the Z90.

I looked at the size recommendation on the Renoun site and they would put me on a shorter ski (169) than I skied (174) . Any comments on that would be appreciated. I down sized to 173 and 174 on the last 2 skis I bought but I'm hesitant on moving shorter.

Last day on skis today. Superstar in the rain at Killington. I might ski it in June just to say I did, but steep, tight bumps are more exercise than fun for me now.
I skied the z90 in both 174 and 180. Bought the 180 and no doubts that it was the right choice. But the 174 wasn't as dreadfully short for me (6-2 200) as it ordinarily would be. I don't think it skis long. I just think the inherent stability minimizes the consequences of going short. That said, if you are skiing something in the low 170s now and are just fine with the size, go with the 174. Hands down. I don't think you'll find anything sizing down that will make you glad you did.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier

As Killington is my "home" slope you may consider the cambered/rockered Volkl RTM84 in a 173 or 177. I am skiing a 181 and as an eastern ski meets all the criteria you noted including powder up to 18" However I am 6', 240 lbs and the ski needs attention when driving. On those rare powder days or when skiing the west I am on 100 or greater waists.

My last day there was 4/24 sharing Royal Flush with Yogi.

Royal_Flush_4_23_17[1].jpg

TS
cmackvt

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at that ski.
I spent some time watching that bear in the same place the last Saturday in April. I heard there was a cub with her on some days during the week but it wasn't there when I was watching. First time I've been able to watch a bear with skis on my feet.

Sponsor

Staff online