• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I just don't understand. He's entitled to express himself in any length he wants.

I'm appalled that he is being told how to act. He's a very friendly man, who never gets mad, and I've seen people give him reason to, but he doesn't.

How is his behavior something that moderation should even be discussed about?

well truthfully he can express himself anyway he wants, just not necessarily on this site. If he starts his own site he can do what ever he wants.

in all honesty if he wants to start a thread and post a 5 hour a video, cool, to each his own. If he wants to spam that video in non relevant ways, then I think Phil and tricia and the community at large should take issue. which he has already done......see the no poles thread. Posting a 15 minute long video with no actually content on how skiing with no poles can be a path to improvement. I mean sure you do not have to click on the video....but if he does it over and over again its does get rather annoying and detracts from conservation.

I will admit I thought the Mackelmore onsie video was funny. it was also only 2 minutes long.....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Even though you didn't quote me, that appeared to be directed at me so I'll respond. .

No dude, my rant wasn't directed towards you. I was addressing the general audience.
Mmmm, definition of sensitivity?

As Phil said, this ain't TGR but it's not Epic either. Feel the vibe then you can make a decision whether you fit.
Hate to say it but not everybody will fit.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No dude, my rant wasn't directed towards you. I was addressing the general audience.
Mmmm, definition of sensitivity?

As Phil said, this ain't TGR but it's not Epic either. Feel the vibe then you can make a decision whether you fit.
Hate to say it but not everybody will fit.
And this is why he is KING Grump. :hail:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just don't understand. He's entitled to express himself in any length he wants.

I'm appalled that he is being told how to act. He's a very friendly man, who never gets mad, and I've seen people give him reason to, but he doesn't.

How is his behavior something that moderation should even be discussed about?

It is worth remembering Steve, that when you have been evicted from your old home, and you have been given shelter elsewhere by a gracious host, that it is downright rude to your new hosts to walk in and expect to then lay down your rules for the household.....

The guests that stay are those that realize they may need to modify their behavior to match the culture of their gracious hosts....

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Have fun.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
in all honesty if he wants to start a thread and post a 5 hour a video, cool, to each his own. If he wants to spam that video in non relevant ways, then I think Phil and tricia and the community at large should take issue. which he has already done......see the no poles thread. Posting a 15 minute long video with no actually content on how skiing with no poles can be a path to improvement. I mean sure you do not have to click on the video....but if he does it over and over again its does get rather annoying and detracts from conservation.

I don't know that @Philpug and @Tricia agree with this, but I think there would have been a lot less commentary if the video had been posted in its own thread only.

I personally find the massive storm system images and graphs in the Colorado weather thread more annoying than a video I can easily scroll past, but in both cases that's a personal issue, and I'm sure others get a lot out of them. I just stare at them cross-eyed and then hope the next person (usually Nay) will explain it in simple terms.

Anyway - perhaps this discussion should be moved to its own locked thread just to provide history, and we can get back to discussion of epic?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know that @Philpug and @Tricia agree with this, but I think there would have been a lot less commentary if the video had been posted in its own thread only.

I personally find the massive storm system images and graphs in the Colorado weather thread more annoying than a video I can easily scroll past, but in both cases that's a personal issue, and I'm sure others get a lot out of them. I just stare at them cross-eyed and then hope the next person (usually Nay) will explain it in simple terms.

Anyway - perhaps this discussion should be moved to its own locked thread just to provide history, and we can get back to discussion of epic?
Actually it was, I moved it here since it was a homage to Epic and we want to keep all the Epic talk in one spot.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Actually it was, I moved it here since it was a homage to Epic and we want to keep all the Epic talk in one spot.

Oh. Carry on.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Maybe we can go back on track? Here is my little homage to Epic.

I joined the Epic forum last year, and some of the members there actually helped me buy my first pair of skis. Most were friendly and helpful. The most friendly and helpful were also here, and I moved in because I liked the vibe here better. Given what I was looking for, the signal to noise ratio was much better, and the community behaved more along the lines of what I strive for.

But I owe Epic, fundamentally, this beautiful community in PugSki, which was originally born over there.So I would like, once again, to thank, all of you who created and developed Epic, for that.

So, no, I don't have much to remember, but I do have much to be thankful for.

Cheers!

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
"It is worth remembering Steve, that when you have been evicted from your old home, and you have been given shelter elsewhere by a gracious host, that it is downright rude to your new hosts to walk in and expect to then lay down your rules for the household.....

The guests that stay are those that realize they may need to modify their behavior to match the culture of their gracious hosts...."

Exactly. This is not Epicski and is, in my opinion, all the better for it. Epic, in its later incarnation, embraced what has been called the "Grand Central Terminal" ethos. Anyone could post anything (within reason) regardless of its accuracy or relevance the sport. As a result, many of the people who provided accurate, thoughtful information and who built the original reputation of Epic as the "go to" site for dedicated skiers (i.e., Bob Barnes, Weems Westfelt, Ric Reider, Sierra Jim, Dawgcatching, etc.) left either because they got tired of being endlessly contradicted by folks who had no clue, or were driven out by the new Vail owners. Pugski appeals to a different audience. They are right up front about it. Please see the site motto the top:

Pugski - Ski talk at a higher level

Unwelcoming? No. Specific? Yes. Look at the quality of the gear reviews and the overall tone of the discussions to see the difference in this site vs what Epic had become. The people Pugski attracts are not here to stroke their egos and have a place to dump their random and irrelevant musings on life. It is a site for skiers who respect the sport and value thoughtful, relevant, fun discussion. It is not exclusionary: beginners, intermediates, experts are all welcome, but it demands a certain respect for the sport and the other site participants. If this is not a site in which you feel comfortable, you can, as Phil and Trish did, start your own: one that appeals more to your own style of discussion. Personally, I like this one and I thank Phil and Trish for creating it and making it what it is.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
So, I often enjoy Jacques' postings & videos. His home hill is the same as mine (and slowrider's, I think).

I'm curious if the "2 minute rule" for videos applies to videos uploaded to this site AND for videos on external sites that are linked to in postings. If the rule only applies to the former then I've no problem with the rule. Honestly, with free (or low cost) internet services being what they are today, I'm surprised anyone who likes to post videos doesn't use a youtube or Vimeo account, so they can link to their content. Potentially more control of your content that way, a good thing nowadays.

If the rule applies to BOTH then I'm clueless why. Seems like a really antiquated rule by today's standards.

One thing I'm well aware of is that epic and pugski do share some degree of common culture. In particular: a few people/clics tend to dominate the forums. It seems it's real important to them that they get their fair share of attention. If you are an occasional poster then you usually don't get barbed (too much). But once you start posting more frequently then the criticism (sometimes trolling) starts kicking in. My observation is this is especially so if the you're someone like Jacques that almost always projects a simple/direct, optimistic and energetic vibe in his posts - which just becomes major bait for some. Honestly, my experience is just about any web forum is like this to some degree.

Anyway, I've always been impressed how well Jacques usually defuses unfair criticism/trolling. He's just so darned positive and probably too busy enjoying his skiing to care.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"It is worth remembering Steve, that when you have been evicted from your old home, and you have been given shelter elsewhere by a gracious host, that it is downright rude to your new hosts to walk in and expect to then lay down your rules for the household.....

The guests that stay are those that realize they may need to modify their behavior to match the culture of their gracious hosts...."

Exactly. This is not Epicski and is, in my opinion, all the better for it. Epic, in its later incarnation, embraced what has been called the "Grand Central Terminal" ethos. Anyone could post anything (within reason) regardless of its accuracy or relevance the sport. As a result, many of the people who provided accurate, thoughtful information and who built the original reputation of Epic as the "go to" site for dedicated skiers (i.e., Bob Barnes, Weems Westfelt, Ric Reider, Sierra Jim, Dawgcatching, etc.) left either because they got tired of being endlessly contradicted by folks who had no clue, or were driven out by the new Vail owners. Pugski appeals to a different audience. They are right up front about it. Please see the site motto the top:

Pugski - Ski talk at a higher level

Unwelcoming? No. Specific? Yes. Look at the quality of the gear reviews and the overall tone of the discussions to see the difference in this site vs what Epic had become. The people Pugski attracts are not here to stroke their egos and have a place to dump their random and irrelevant musings on life. It is a site for skiers who respect the sport and value thoughtful, relevant, fun discussion. It is not exclusionary: beginners, intermediates, experts are all welcome, but it demands a certain respect for the sport and the other site participants. If this is not a site in which you feel comfortable, you can, as Phil and Trish did, start your own: one that appeals more to your own style of discussion. Personally, I like this one and I thank Phil and Trish for creating it and making it what it is.
Well said. :golfclap:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I learned most from EpicSki:

It's not that I can't ski (Moguls, powder, ice, crud, frozen chicken heads, etc.), it's that I can't ski and the (Moguls, powder, ice, crud, frozen chicken heads, etc.) prove it
You can thank @Josh Matta for coining that.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Jacques post 555....
"I can't think of the term used now, but it's when people in a crowd go crazy about something. The crowd mentality?
Kinda' like when Hitler took over Germany. People got on the wagon then. If they did not they were shunned or worse.
I read the rules for this site. I did not violate any of them to the best of my knowledge."

upload_2017-5-11_17-52-10.png

Old book. Great read.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@eok keep in mind that there is no rule about a given time limit for videos. @Philpug and others were talking about what kind of videos are more effective, the way I see it, and long videos are typically (but not always) boring to most.

In any case, I think things have been said earlier in this thread that we all know don't belong in this place. So, let's turn the page on this and keep having the higher talk in general. And, in this thread, let's remember the positives of Epic with an open heart.