• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations to Build Out Quiver for Lightweight Skier

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am about your size. personally would not recommend the Santa Ana if you are chasing your son through the bumps all day. Variable snow, yes, yippie. bumps not so much.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the Y-Chromosome in me has a hard time pulling the trigger......especially since my wife is looking at the exact same ski.
Smart woman. They are fun fun fun fun fun fun fun! If you have the same BSL, you could swap!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the Y-Chromosome in me has a hard time pulling the trigger......especially since my wife is looking at the exact same ski.

Try not to get hung up...guys on Pugski are man enough (and smart enough) to include women skis in their quiver if they're a better fit.

My SO (claims 5'6" but is probably 5'5", 135#)used my Sambas couple times after he realized that they float better than his old skis w/78mm underfoot. I bought him Volkl 90Eight in 163 cm last fall but he's only gotten 2 days on them. Will see how he does in Whistler.

He and I are within 15% weight. His BSL is slightly longer, but I carry a tool to adjust bindings so we can swap!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
TDub, the PugSki Illuminati also suggested I should look at woman's skis after complaining that my Nordica Enforcer 100's were too stiff. My Y chromosome, like yours, said that even though I was man enough and smart enough, we were weren't quite progressive enough for such a bold statement.. I ended up on the Rossi Sky7HD which is just right for me. I'm 6'-0" / 160 lbs and I really like the way the ski performs (I'm on the 180cm). They make it in a 164cm which may work for you.

They also make a woman's version that has mostly gender neutral graphics except for the "W" in the logo. Don't tell your Y chromosome but I'll bet that a black magic marker would do the trick.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
TDub, the PugSki Illuminati also suggested I should look at woman's skis after complaining that my Nordica Enforcer 100's were too stiff. My Y chromosome, like yours, said that even though I was man enough and smart enough, we were weren't quite progressive enough for such a bold statement.. I ended up on the Rossi Sky7HD which is just right for me. I'm 6'-0" / 160 lbs and I really like the way the ski performs (I'm on the 180cm). They make it in a 164cm which may work for you.

They also make a woman's version that has mostly gender neutral graphics except for the "W" in the logo. Don't tell your Y chromosome but I'll bet that a black magic marker would do the trick.

Philpug pointed out in another thread that the Rossi women's freeride skis are identical to the men's. See this article.

TS
T

TDub

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Ahhh......the ole' Sharpie trick.......that being said, I am also more of a finesse skier than a power skier (ie. hard charger). The Rossi seems to fit that bill, although I keep thinking that maybe I can make that pivot. Time to start getting that laundry list of skis to demo based on everyone's recommendations.

TS
T

TDub

Skier
@TDub you might a prime candidate for the "boutique" ski then.... just surfing...

These might fit your size and requirements. I haven't skied them, so ....
http://slantskis.com/skis/hindsight/
http://slantskis.com/skis/nopro/

Also, suggested before were the Renouns (Z90, Endurance 98). The topsheets are gender neutral and come in 165.

I'm sure there's other players....
Absolutely. I've looked at Slant, Renoun (as a result of this website), High Society Freeride, etc. Anything that looks like they have something which could fit the need for someone who is, uh, vertically challenged.

TS
T

TDub

Skier
Phil or Tricia, of the skis listed above (including, the (gulp) Renoun), how many do you have that I can potentially demo?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil or Tricia, of the skis listed above (including, the (gulp) Renoun), how many do you have that I can potentially demo?
Do you need to even try any others besides the Renoun? ;) Actually we have a few skis that are in the mid 160cm range that you could try, DPS Nina 99, Renoun Z90 and the Blizzard Black Peal 99. We will be at the Gathering next week so contact us after 3/11

TS
T

TDub

Skier
Do you need to even try any others besides the Renoun? ;) Actually we have a few skis that are in the mid 160cm range that you could try, DPS Nina 99, Renoun Z90 and the Blizzard Black Peal 99. We will be at the Gathering next week so contact us after 3/11
You go it! With Renoun, I guess I should apply the "You had me at hello" statement, eh?

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you need to even try any others besides the Renoun? ;) Actually we have a few skis that are in the mid 160cm range that you could try, DPS Nina 99, Renoun Z90 and the Blizzard Black Pearl 99. We will be at the Gathering next week so contact us after 3/11

Which DPS construction on the Nina 99?

TS
T

TDub

Skier
Try not to get hung up...guys on Pugski are man enough (and smart enough) to include women skis in their quiver if they're a better fit.

My SO (claims 5'6" but is probably 5'5", 135#)used my Sambas couple times after he realized that they float better than his old skis w/78mm underfoot. I bought him Volkl 90Eight in 163 cm last fall but he's only gotten 2 days on them. Will see how he does in Whistler.

He and I are within 15% weight. His BSL is slightly longer, but I carry a tool to adjust bindings so we can swap!
How did your significant other do in Whistler with the 90Eight? What were the conditions?

TS
T

TDub

Skier
@TDub did you ever fill in this slot in the quiver?
Dory, Not yet. Still looking around and debating as to what I need. Y chromosome says avoid women's skis (since I'm not progressive enough). Wallet says go for the Renoun. :) Another part of me says what I have is good enough and go for something like the Kastle FX85 to minimize the wait time for my son at the bottom of the mogul run. Decisions, decisions...........got a recommendation?

TS
T

TDub

Skier
Youd dig the Vantage 95 I think. J is going to be waiting for you no matter what :P
Dory, you're absolutely right. May I say that you and Beans did an awesome job with him this year? I took him to Heavenly yesterday and needless to say, he can let'er rip on the groomed runs (although I have to yell at him to get his feet wider. :) ). As an example on the bumps, I bought him a lollipop and he lost the wrapper. Wanted to finish up his candy before going down Gunbarrel for the day.......so he ended up skiing from the NV side to CA with one hand holding on his poles and the other with his lollipop (flying by other folks in the groomed, bumps, etc.) Gave me a head start down Gunbarrel while he looked for a garbage can and needless to say, J was waiting for me at the bottom. Kids.....I tell ya....... :)

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Dory, you're absolutely right. May I say that you and Beans did an awesome job with him this year? I took him to Heavenly yesterday and needless to say, he can let'er rip on the groomed runs (although I have to yell at him to get his feet wider. :) ). As an example on the bumps, I bought him a lollipop and he lost the wrapper. Wanted to finish up his candy before going down Gunbarrel for the day.......so he ended up skiing from the NV side to CA with one hand holding on his poles and the other with his lollipop (flying by other folks in the groomed, bumps, etc.) Gave me a head start down Gunbarrel while he looked for a garbage can and needless to say, J was waiting for me at the bottom. Kids.....I tell ya....... :)

Mission accomplished :yahoo::daffy:
Glad he had fun, hope he's in the bump program next year.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid