• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations to Build Out Quiver for Lightweight Skier

TDub

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
All,

Really excited to find this forum and I've learned quite a bit. I need some help in building out my ski quiver. Some basic information about me:

1) Male, 5'2" and 120 lbs dripping wet
2) Only been skiing the last 3 years. Primarily ski at Northstar, Heavenly and Kirkwood
3) Current skis are Rossignol Experience 88's in 156 cm in length. I started with Solomon X-Drive 7.5 skis 3 years ago and have moved on to the Rossi's as my daily driver to give me more capability off the groomed runs.
4) I ski all over the mountain to keep up with my 11 year old son. He loves Look Out Mountain and anything off piste with moguls. He could do Rapids at Northstar all day long if I let him. 30% Groomed, 70% Variable

I'm looking for something in the 98-100 mm range for powder days and the ungroomed, but am concerned about the length and my ability to tip on edge. One of the reasons I chose the Rossi E88's was that it was one of the few all mountain skis' that came in shorter than my height and was relatively easy to carve and continue my learning progression. As I look for something wider, it feels that my options are even more limited (Is 165 cm too much ski for me? etc. Is the ski to heavy and difficult for me to get on edge given my current skill set?). I'm thinking of the Rossi Sky 7 or Soul 7 at 164 cm, but looking for other ideas as well.

Thoughts?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be the first to say, visit @Philpug and @Tricia in person and demo the skis they have available. Heck just open your wallet and purchase a Renoun. :)

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @TDub welcome to the forum.

I'm wondering what the E88 doesn't do for you. At your weight, at a guess, they should provide a lot of float.
I'm 5'6" (168cm) 160# and was recently at KW on 90mm skis and was able to mostly float on the heavy powder: skis float-ish, foot/hands post hole. It definitely wasn't surfy, and definitely not sinking. Very workable.
FWIW, my 90mm waisted skis are my longest at 174cm. I was first concerned about purchasing "too long" when I got them, but have adjusted to them well.

With regards to weight, I find skis up to 1 sheet of metal to be comfortable (not too heavy).

With regards to your skill level, how comfortable are you in the variable snow? If you're just surviving, maybe going longer is not a good idea. If you're enjoying the variable, sounds like mid-160cm will work for you.

TS
T

TDub

Skier

I'm wondering what the E88 doesn't do for you. At your weight, at a guess, they should provide a lot of float.
I'm 5'6" (168cm) 160# and was recently at KW on 90mm skis and was able to mostly float on the heavy powder: skis float-ish, foot/hands post hole. It definitely wasn't surfy, and definitely not sinking. Very workable.
FWIW, my 90mm waisted skis are my longest at 174cm. I was first concerned about purchasing "too long" when I got them, but have adjusted to them well.

With regards to weight, I find skis up to 1 sheet of metal to be comfortable (not too heavy).

With regards to your skill level, how comfortable are you in the variable snow? If you're just surviving, maybe going longer is not a good idea. If you're enjoying the variable, sounds like mid-160cm will work for you.
I'll be the first to say, visit @Philpug and @Tricia in person and demo the skis they have available. Heck just open your wallet and purchase a Renoun. :)
I've heard lots of great comments about the Renoun......now if only I can figure out how to hide the missing benjamins from the wallet. Where are Phil and Tricia located?

TS
T

TDub

Skier

Hi Paul,

I'm looking for something more in the freeride category that is more surfy in feeling. I am comfortable in the variable snow, but at times I do get bounced around and would like to get more tools in the toolbox to help me adapt/learn/get better. Of course, I'm just looking for an excuse to also expand my quiver.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a few options out there, you mentioned the Vantage 95c, that is one of them for sure as are the wo Rossis. Others that comes to mind that would be a blast for what you are asking for Armada Invictus 95, Line Sick Day 95 and K2 Pinnacle 95, all would be great off piste biased fun skis. If you are skiing the E88 on the Rapids, you are a stronger than you are giving yourself credit for, that is a stiff uncompmising ski.

TS
T

TDub

Skier
@Philpug & @Tricia work at the main ski shop at Northstar - "True North" - by the ice rink; they are the premier boot-fitters and ski sales persons.
Awesome! I will stop by as my son is on the Development Ski Team so I have free time to stop in and chat.

TS
T

TDub

Skier
I really like that ski - but I am literally twice your weight so promise to stay out of your thread :)
Given that I live in the Bay Area and we have tons of, uh, petite folks who come up to ski, I have to read comments on skis with a jaded eye. "Light skiers" are still 25% heavier than me.......heck, Junior Skiers are taller/heavier than me. Not that I'm bitter or anything........that being said, finding boots that fit me was also a chore since I am in a 23-23.5 range and many boots that interest me don't go that small. Arrrgghhhh.........

TS
T

TDub

Skier
There are a few options out there, you mentioned the Vantage 95c, that is one of them for sure as are the wo Rossis. Others that comes to mind that would be a blast for what you are asking for Armada Invictus 95, Line Sick Day 95 and K2 Pinnacle 95, all would be great off piste biased fun skis. If you are skiing the E88 on the Rapids, you are a stronger than you are giving yourself credit for, that is a stiff uncompmising ski.
Thanks! Part of the problem is that in trying to keep up with my son (who is 4'2", 65 lb, has short skis and loves bumps), I'm working wayyyyyyy to hard. I'd like to have more fun as the conditions dictate, hence something more off piste oriented. Kids...............I tell ya................

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Honestly I would go with a 169 E93....

If I never skied on really hard snow, or weird 3d snow I at 200lb could ski my 185s all the time.

I wouldnt get so hung up on weight and stiffness

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
98-100mm and lightweight? Nordica Santa Ana 100s. Ski Essentials has some on sale right now, too. I weigh about 117 right now and ski them in the 169 length. Who cares about graphics? They're covered in snow anyway!

TS
T

TDub

Skier
98-100mm and lightweight? Nordica Santa Ana 100s. Ski Essentials has some on sale right now, too. I weigh about 117 right now and ski them in the 169 length. Who cares about graphics? They're covered in snow anyway!
Well, the Y-Chromosome in me has a hard time pulling the trigger......especially since my wife is looking at the exact same ski.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I bought my Kenjas as demos from ski essentials and the 163cms were so clean you can eat off the bases and topsheets. Often times if the ski is longer it gets less use so they are often in excellent shape.

Sponsor

Staff online