• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rear Shock Question

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Okay, so I have this old bike.... A 26'er (I know, I know...26 is dead). It's actually a really nice bike that I hadn't ridden much over the past twelve years or so. It's a 2001 Giant XTC-1 NRS full suspension. I've replaced the chain rings, chain, rear cassette, tubeless tires (that's another story altogether...learned all about UST and 'tubeless ready' the hard way), brake rotors over the past several months and all is pretty much set. I rode it some last year and have been riding about 75 miles a week over the past six weeks or so on dirt and am back to having fun.

Anyway, I have a question about my rear shock. It's a RockShox SID that's got a blown negative chamber and I've bought a RockShox Monarch RL to replace it with. All is correct so far as the eye-to-eye dimension but I would like to know how hard it is to swap the two. The mounting hardware appears to have different requirements. How would I go about changing these out?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
You need to measure the existing mounting hardware and then order the appropriate new shock mount kit. If you don't have a set of calipers, just bring it to your LBS and they should be able to order the correct mounting kits from QBP. Should cost about $30.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You may be able to rebuild your existing one . I have the same bike as you ( great bike.. no reason to change !! 26ers are not dead!!) It is a seal kit you can get. The hard part is finding it. But the internet is good for that.
rock shock sid.jpg

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
viva la 26ers!

KHS dual suspension, 2010 or so....yeah, you can replace what you have while you rebuild the original if it floats your boat. as said, bushing kits to make up any difference in width at mounting points should do it!

Jp

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Willy, there is a decent chance that all you have to do is remove the bushings/o-rings/whatever from your existing shock and install them onto the new one.

I swap out shocks on my two bikes pretty frequently. It's a two minute job to transfer the spacers and bushing from one to the other.

Pics might help.

Good luck, and happy trails!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just echoing that there's nothing wrong with riding a 26er. I'm looking at a new bike, but it's for the geometry (I want something slacker than my current bike), not the wheels!

TS
Willy

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Okay, so the day I got my shock replaced at the LBS, I was trail running downhill and started to trip over a rock or a root. While I didn't face-plant, I did manage to pull a hamstring while getting my balance and stopping prior to imminent carnage. So, I haven't ridden since then until yesterday. I have to say, having a functional rear shock certainly is a pleasant change from what I've been riding the past few years. All's well, including the hamstring....well, for the most part. I still can't run but for biking, I'm fine. Thanks for your input!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Willy - sorry to hear about the injury, but I'm glad you're feeling better! Hope it heals up completely, soon.

Sponsor

Staff online