• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
I was at a demo where the inventor of Razor Tune sharpened a pair. You'd have access to the guy who built it if you go Razor Tune. It's very new.
RTune has wedges you screw on for angles. The Swix is adjustable by turning a knob. Swix looks pretty slick.

The biggest difference I seeis Swix you grind with the ski vertically. The base plate is flat to the ski and the motor is vertical above the edge. The RT you grind base flat, motor rides on base. I would think the RT would bemuch easier to use esp if you have to tune with no vise. The question with the RT isat the very beginning and end. Since you have two bearings to guide the device, one will be off the edge at the tip or tail. Since the tool is resting on base, controlling it may be fine.

But grinding a ski with the tool resting on base is much more stable. Also forget grinding at the car and no vise with Swix. Though this situation might never happen.

RT was invented and produced by a race dad. You could actually call him with questions. That's how small it is. My gut is that the RT would be simpler to handle overall even though the Swix has some slick features.

Just be aware you want to remove burrs by hand with diamond stone first with either machine.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I went to the RTune web site and it looks like a neat tool. Both quick and easy to use but what I want to know is what truck or SUV has an outlet to plug it in and tune in a parking lot. I did not check out the price for the tool or the replacement grinding wheel.

James

Out There
Instructor
It normally uses a transformer from 120V. The motor is 12 or 9v. Can't remember.
Besides, plenty of cars these days have outlets or you can buy an inverter. These things don't use that much power.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
It normally uses a transformer from 120V. The motor is 12 or 9v. Can't remember.
Besides, plenty of cars these days have outlets or you can buy an inverter. These things don't use that much power.

They sell an adapter for a 12v port in the car, most SUVs have these ports in the trunk now.

Very cool idea, it looks simple and well designed.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Suggest you drop down four or five threads a d read the discussion that started around the Carrot and migrated to a lot of the various tuning machines. Lots of info there. Might be of interest.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
They sell an adapter for a 12v port in the car, most SUVs have these ports in the trunk now.

Very cool idea, it looks simple and well designed.
My 2006 GMC has a 12V port but not in the back by the tailgate and I have never seen a 120V port in any truck. I imagine there are after market kits to do that conversion, it is just something I have not been researching.

James

Out There
Instructor
2014 on you can get 120v outlet but the power is very limited. Better to install one perhaps.
Otherwise, for Razor Tune all you need is 12v. Extension cord:
image.jpg

TS
alaskaskierdad

alaskaskierdad

Booting up
Skier
I ended up getting a Razor Tune. Very pleased so far. Well made and idiot proof. Edges are razor sharp. Only complaint is changing the angle requires you to remove 4 screws.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ended up getting a Razor Tune. Very pleased so far. Well made and idiot proof. Edges are razor sharp. Only complaint is changing the angle requires you to remove 4 screws.

When you say idiot proof, do you mean setup, use or both. I have concerns about the wheel being a fixed distance from the rollers. It would seem that the beginning and end of an edge is problematic. I don't know I think having a fixed distance is OK for a side use device (Discman, TriOne), but for some reason on the Razor Tune it concerns me. Aside from that, they seem perfect for my needs.

Skiboatr

Booting up
Skier
A bunch of people on our race team got a Razor-Tune sharpener and now I use one too. Works amazingly well. The wheel is not a fixed distance from the bearings. It is spring loaded and automatically adjusts to the curvature of the ski. It is kinda like a Snowglide but it is 1/3 the price. :) Like others have said, the side angle is set by a plate that you have to remove screws to change. Some other tools have dials to adjust side angle which is really nice. But I always use 3deg anyway so it is not an issue for me.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can you compare the edge finish quality to the higher end machines like the snow glide or protek?

Or compared to the best hand tune you've ever seen?

I'm almost certain I will purchase a machine next season and leaning to the Protek, however can say this razor tune has me intrigued given the pricing.

TS
alaskaskierdad

alaskaskierdad

Booting up
Skier
Can you compare the edge finish quality to the higher end machines like the snow glide or protek?

I'm almost certain I will purchase a machine next season and leaning to the Protek, however can say this razor tune has me intrigued given the pricing.

Equivalent or better than any hand Tune I,ve ever done and takes literally 2 min to complete. I can't speak to the other machines you mentioned

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
A bunch of people on our race team got a Razor-Tune sharpener and now I use one too. Works amazingly well. The wheel is not a fixed distance from the bearings. It is spring loaded and automatically adjusts to the curvature of the ski. It is kinda like a Snowglide but it is 1/3 the price. :) Like others have said, the side angle is set by a plate that you have to remove screws to change. Some other tools have dials to adjust side angle which is really nice. But I always use 3deg anyway so it is not an issue for me.

That was very helpful, thank you. I wish the website was that clear.

smoothrides

Delivering Speed
Skier
Industry Insider

I have not used this machine, but the discs they are using are not proprietary, and are the same type used on the Snowglide, Protek, Trione, Svecom, and in many other industries. If the spring pressure is correct, and the disc is steady, it should give a great result. The other two factors are speed of the disc and speed of the operator, the first compensated for by the second.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just picked up a pair of Evo-tuned (Swix) and the result is impressive. I think it is half the price of a carrot. It's perhaps not better than a hand job, but almost on par. Otoh it'll obly take a few minutes compared to 30 minutes of drinking Talisker and working through the diamonds.

Sponsor

Staff online