• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rant: Pants Scuff Guard Shred Rate

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^ I'm thinking @Monique should take the opportunity and get those puffy pit zips done ;)

LOL. See "lazy" above. But yeah, not a bad idea to grab my puffy from the Breck condo when I'm next there (won't be for at least a month, I would think) and send it. I would send it to Penny at Specialty Outdoors, though.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh, you don't do the 3:30am 'Can't sleep anymore and if I take another pain med I'll have to take off work so let's to the basement and putter' recovery mode? :roflmao:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had this happen. It's nasty when the brake gets caught in the sliver of a hole caused by excessive scuffing. It's been a long time since that happend, though.
I've had it happen with rolled-up pants recently. My last year's ski pants were my most beloved, but they were too long. They had zippers down at the bottom that prohibited shortening them, so I rolled them up all season, even when skiing. Not a good solution because of the brake thing. Now that I think of it, leaving them down unrolled also produced a trapped brake because they bunched up.

Most ski pants we have shorten have the work performed around the knee area. Some pants have a seam at that area to facilitate the work. Doing the work there will also preserve the lines of the garment a bit better.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh, you don't do the 3:30am 'Can't sleep anymore and if I take another pain med I'll have to take off work so let's to the basement and putter' recovery mode? :roflmao:

I'm more of the "eh, take a day off work" type.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Penny's great. I contacted her about my Salomon pants that have a lovely L shaped cut on the ass, from too sharpe edges. She gave me her cohort in BC to send them to. She is factory authorized for Helly Hanson and North Face.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Penny's great. I contacted her about my Salomon pants that have a lovely L shaped cut on the ass, from too sharpe edges. She gave me her cohort in BC to send them to. She is factory authorized for Helly Hanson and North Face.

You're not supposed to sit on your skis!!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So that's two for Penny at Specialty Outdoors, one for Rainy Pass and one for pin-roll origami.
The latter is out, any reason to go with Penny over Rainy Pass?
I have a mid-layer jacket that can use entirely new elastic sleeve cuffs, existing cuffs are tight, otherwise I like the jacket.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So that's two for Penny at Specialty Outdoors, one for Rainy Pass and one for pin-roll origami.
The latter is out, any reason to go with Penny over Rainy Pass?
I have a mid-layer jacket that can use entirely new elastic sleeve cuffs, existing cuffs are tight, otherwise I like the jacket.

I just have known Penny on the internet for years, so I like to throw her business. I believe my husband had something repaired by Rainy Pass (suggested by manufacturer) and was happy with it.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
sweet. I'm going to send her my DH's Orage pants instead of flailing around with them myself. Thanks y'all!

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Somewhere between 50-100 days on my pants when I get tired of digging the snow out of the cuffs I bring them down to the canvas lady on Rt 4 in Rutland and she makes and sews on her cuff guards which I have never worn thru. She can fix almost anything as I have brought in jackets with the sleeves ripped off and she puts them back together. She will not touch anything that has been repaired with duct tape as it clogs up her sewing needles. She also custom makes me gaiters that I yet to put a hole thru. A good seamstress with a commercial sewing machine is this skiers' hero.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Somewhere between 50-100 days on my pants when I get tired of digging the snow out of the cuffs I bring them down to the canvas lady on Rt 4 in Rutland and she makes and sews on her cuff guards which I have never worn thru. She can fix almost anything as I have brought in jackets with the sleeves ripped off and she puts them back together. She will not touch anything that has been repaired with duct tape as it clogs up her sewing needles. She also custom makes me gaiters that I yet to put a hole thru. A good seamstress with a commercial sewing machine is this skiers' hero.

Dang dude you must be skiing some deep powder to get snow in THOSE cuffs. I would have thought you didn't have to worry about your cuffs getting hacked. Boots, on the other hand, probably get their fair share of nicks..

James

Out There
Instructor
What is the name of said lady or business?
Does she deal with waterproof/breathable fabrics?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
What is the name of said lady or business?
Does she deal with waterproof/breathable fabrics?
Vermont Canvas Products - Mary is the owner and head seamstress. Rt 4 in Rutland right next to Applebee's. Not sure of her fabric selection.
Vermont Canvas Products.jpg

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel the pains of shredding my pants constantly. As someone that doesn't like tight fitting women's ski pants, I'm always going up a size, which equates to long pants. Long pants + wide skis + narrow stance = Exhibit A below. But once you find a good super glue to duct tape layering system, the duct tape holds up quite well.

4f484c7a-afdf-4dc3-8c97-60bea108d6b6.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ordered a pair of used Columbia ski pants for my 12 year old daughter. eBay seller sent me a note and a photo because they noticed a cut there when getting ready to ship them. I responded that I'll fix them when I get them. $15.00 delivered is still a fair price for good pants with a small cut there that I'm pretty used to repairing. Again, I patch them on the INSIDE with glue and a square of fabric or duct tape a little bigger than the cut and have a bead of glue along the cut itself. My inside patch work usually lasts longer than the elastic in the pants does.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DH's pants sent out to Peggy for repair. estimate $30-75 which is a pretty big spread, but she said she'd let us know once she sees them in person. Will report back on results. (should've taken before photos, but will take afters).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
DH's pants sent out to Peggy for repair. estimate $30-75 which is a pretty big spread, but she said she'd let us know once she sees them in person. Will report back on results. (should've taken before photos, but will take afters).

Penny?

Sponsor