• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rant: Pants Scuff Guard Shred Rate

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeh, it's a typical usage for 30+ outdoorsy (non-NYC) USAians. It's kinda like saying 'Manson' and thinking of Marilyn.

Huh, I think Charles.

Anyway, it's always good to realize that people with different cultural / generational experiences will experience very different connotations for words.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My boots, bindings and pants cuffs all take a pounding on occasion. If they didn't it wouldn't be call skiing. And yes edges are razor sharp, I have no mercy for ice, as it's meant to be carved.

BTW as the name suggests I tend to gravitate towards legs together (old habits die hard).

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our wonderful local shop got a seamstress to put on a tougher material on the very expensive Orage pants my DH bought from them when they shredded after one season. But now they need set number 3 after season 3.

My Mammut pants, however, have more days and are holding up really well. A few little scratches, but nothing like his.

Ski style or design? I say design. His many previous pants did not shred like these.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
<- Is presently wondering how many pants shredders have had the cuff tilt adjustment for a wider stance done on their boots. Suspects not many.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A wide stance isn't a problem outside of men's bathrooms. Embrace!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
<- Is presently wondering how many pants shredders have had the cuff tilt adjustment for a wider stance done on their boots. Suspects not many.
Might as well ride a monoboard/ski if you need that much support to be happy with your stance. :P

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

If you ski a neutral stance regardless of width of stance, it makes little difference. If you have a physical body position limitation issue then it makes a difference. I suspect proper canting will have more impact (if required) than cuff alignment, though at that point both are most likely required.

I would bet that the big issue for cuff cuts comes from the transition range in the turn. In around this point you have the feet closest together and a depending on the skiing demand causes cuff cutting.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Aside from the aforementioned risk of getting a brake caught in a full tear, why should I care if there's scuffing?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A cut through one layer let's the space between the layers fill with snow.

I'm picturing scuffing as different from a tear. Perhaps not. Scuffing is what happens when I walk around on my pant legs all the time, especially if I'm in snowpants and street shoes.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Roll up is de rigueur for a short guy like me. Even the "shorts" are too long.
Have no fear, youtube to the rescue.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
green26

green26

Putting on skis
Skier
Scuffing to tearing: in my case scuffs turned into tears turn into holes really quickly. I suppose the whole process speeds up once the material is weakened a little. The gortex fails, and also the scuff guards fill with snow and melt. A cascade effect is the term I'm groping for. Never thought of a brake getting caught - that's an eye opener. so next time I plan on monitoring the minor stuff before it gets bad. Getting a brake caught in certain situations... shivers.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Aside from the aforementioned risk of getting a brake caught in a full tear, why should I care if there's scuffing?

I've had this happen. It's nasty when the brake gets caught in the sliver of a hole caused by excessive scuffing. It's been a long time since that happend, though.
I've had it happen with rolled-up pants recently. My last year's ski pants were my most beloved, but they were too long. They had zippers down at the bottom that prohibited shortening them, so I rolled them up all season, even when skiing. Not a good solution because of the brake thing. Now that I think of it, leaving them down unrolled also produced a trapped brake because they bunched up.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Well, the OP using "Gucci" instead of explaining that he owned a pair of Patagonia pants certainly took this thread all over the place!

My family has been wearing Patagonia {among others} since I bought my first fleece pullover in 1978. From Chouinard himself. I would contact their repair department via the site, and have them repair them. They'll do a great job, and it will be worth whatever they charge. Seems likest's generally no more than $50.

My "Plan B" with Patagonia, and my "Plan A" with any other brand is to head straight to Rainy Pass Repair. rainypass.com
They can repair anything in my experience. They do warranty work for a lot of manufacturers, and I've had them do a lot of alterations for us. I'm sure that if you ask them about options for a more durable scuff guard material, they will have suggestions.

They are not cheap. They do top quality work. I have been impressed with at least a dozen jobs that they have done for us. Some pretty complex. I'd inquire with them first on a non-Patagonia garment.....but head right to Patagonia with their pants.

Sponsor

Staff online