• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Radius Question

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In my quest to learn all I can about skis, I have a question (which I am sure will lead to more).

Can a small radius ski be bad for a beginner?

I am looking to learn to carve (in the newar future ) and I see skis with radius going all the way down to under 12m, so is there a limit I should be looking at?

Also, told you there would be another question or 3 How on earth can a couple of Floridians traving to park City try out different skis?

Skis we want to try, DPS, Renoun, and Bomber. I have a place for my wife to try out the Bombers, but the other two might prove to be an issue. Ideas?

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
generally a carving oriented ski will have a radius between 12 and 17. But more importantly the ski should match you and your skill level as any given radius wont matter if you can't flex or power the ski properly. If you're looking to learn how to carve i would suggest a ski with a mid 70's waist and a good amount of side cut with a large shovel. This will allow you to engage the turn and get the ski on it's edge easier. Beyond that find a good instructor and take a couple lessons to get pointed in the right direction.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
For learning how to carve, smaller is better, provided you won't be skiing too fast. Typical range I've seen is from 11 m to 18 m for recreational (not racing) "carving" skis. I would not buy a ski less than 13 m, unless I also had other skis to compliment them. I also would not want more than 15 m for a learn to carve ski.

Like was said above, flex is just as important if not more important, you want a ski that is easy enough for you to flex without needing you to ski very fast. You will also learn how to properly use your skis edges sooner if you get one that is skinnier and has full camber (2nd best choice is slight tip rocker or early rise and narrow).

Hope that helps.

Some stores can set you up with demonstrator skis, phone around. Maybe ask here for some shops to phone where your going.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can have all the shape you want in a ski, unless it bends, she will not be able to turn it.

It's not "she" that I'm worried about bending the ski, but rather ME. She tends to gravitate towards stiffer skis as she hates chatter. I am definitely looking for a softer ski to suit my 190#'s and slow speeds :)

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Im not so sure the attention to skis isn't a bit misplaced. Why the interest in $$$ boutique brands when there are so many excellent skis that will get you up the learning curve? Straight talk here, but your current skill set isn't likely going to access or feel what a renoun or bomber, or Wagner, or Stoeckli, etc... does, especially for your narrative.

FWIW, Most rental skis are narrow and have a shorter turn radius and are easy to carve on the appropriate learning terrain. What you need is a simple, versatile tool that won't kick you in the teeth until you're ready, and one that you won't outgrow in a season or two.Assuming you've got boots sorted (job #1) pick up a ski like a Rossi E-84 or similar for yourself and find a great instructor to help you use it. ogsmile

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Im not so sure the attention to skis isn't a bit misplaced. Why the interest in $$$ boutique brands when there are so many excellent skis that will get you up the learning curve? Straight talk here, but your current skill set isn't likely going to access or feel what a renoun or bomber, or Wagner, or Stoeckli, etc... does, especially for your narrative.

FWIW, Most rental skis are narrow and have a shorter turn radius and are easy to carve on the appropriate learning terrain. What you need is a simple, versatile tool that won't kick you in the teeth until you're ready, and one that you won't outgrow in a season or two.Assuming you've got boots sorted (job #1) pick up a ski like a Rossi E-84 or similar for yourself and find a great instructor to help you use it. ogsmile
I've only skied one day without taking a 1 on 1 lesson. I am a big believer in lessons. I am going to be skiing on Atomic Nomad Smokes, nothing fancy for me. I am more interested in getting her a nice set of skis as she can get everything out of them and really enjoy the quality.

Edited to add: I will have boots before I ski in mid December. I would love to sneak up to Killington in May if there is snow and get a couple of late days in.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In my quest to learn all I can about skis, I have a question (which I am sure will lead to more).

Can a small radius ski be bad for a beginner?

I am looking to learn to carve (in the newar future ) and I see skis with radius going all the way down to under 12m, so is there a limit I should be looking at?

Also, told you there would be another question or 3 How on earth can a couple of Floridians traving to park City try out different skis?

Skis we want to try, DPS, Renoun, and Bomber. I have a place for my wife to try out the Bombers, but the other two might prove to be an issue. Ideas?

ah, so really two distinct questions: Ski's for you - 190lb and beginner and then renting for her in PC - yes?

I like @markojp comment. if just beginning rentals should be fine esp if you've got the often first suggested "properly fitted boots". Terms of radius, personally I wouldn't worry greatly as with radius as @Philpug noted is flex or stiffness among other things. It may be easier to focus on learning and later when you have technique (I'm still looking ogsmile) and feel for what you like to ski, demo ski's and choose one to your liking of the style and runs you ski.

The radius is a determined (if I understand correctly) as a ski's natural cut, this can technically change based on firmness of snow, riders weight, angles, etc. A sixteen m ski can carve tighter so personally again, I'd wait a while till one gets to where they themselves can get a feel for differences, and demo.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Tell us more specifically about your wife's skiing, size, etc...

(Maybe Kastle LX82... dunno)

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I would love to sneak up to Killington in May if there is snow and get a couple of late days in.
We would love to have you and anyone reading this forum come for a late season visit. Reasonable expectations is the key to May skiing. They will groom most days if it gets cold enough overnight. Only the Superstar chair will be running with minimal mountain services. (ie no ski lessons or rentals) When it stays warm they skip grooming and the moguls grow to the size of mini coopers. True diehard soft core fans from the Northeast converge on our leftovers from winter. Monday May 1st the free slalom race awards all finishers with a free lift ticket good until mid December. Once we get into May, the Superstar Express Quad will operate Friday-Sunday plus Memorial Day (weather permitting). Lifts will spin 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Fridays and 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. weekends. We need a cool May to have any reasonable chance to make to the 29th. The Access Road becomes our snow beach with plenty of free parking and the tailgate parties that make it look like a NFL football game. I plan to be set-up early every May day often staying until the sun sets behind the mountains. When the last chair of the season loads I am ready to move on to the hike for your turns season.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tell us more specifically about your wife's skiing, size, etc...

(Maybe Kastle LX82... dunno)

Here goes:

5'10", 145 #lbs, 52 years old in good condition. She has her own boots!

She skis in the upper 30's to low 40's mph with perfect technique, always under control, feet very close together with gret weight control and curves that are nice and rounded. She grew up in Maine and skiing the icy conditions in the NE so she can ski on any surface. She has skied most (probably over 20) of the big resorts out west. She likes groomers, and likes to ski early and be done before 2pm when things get chopped up. She can ski powder, but prefers not to, she can ski bumps, but also prefers not to. She can ski Black runs and has skied all kinds of steep stuff years ago, but prefers to not go crazy with super steep black runs. She had not skied for about 10 years prior to us going to DV in 2015 when I said I would try it out.

I know she was skiing Head skis in Italy, but can't remember which model. Both times we have gone skiing, she has had to trade in her original pair of skis as they had too much "chatter". I would guess that rental people look at a 50ish year old woman and underestimate her skills and give her something too soft.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ah, so really two distinct questions: Ski's for you - 190lb and beginner and then renting for her in PC - yes?

I like @markojp comment. if just beginning rentals should be fine esp if you've got the often first suggested "properly fitted boots". Terms of radius, personally I wouldn't worry greatly as with radius as @Philpug noted is flex or stiffness among other things. It may be easier to focus on learning and later when you have technique (I'm still looking ogsmile) and feel for what you like to ski, demo ski's and choose one to your liking of the style and runs you ski.

The radius is a determined (if I understand correctly) as a ski's natural cut, this can technically change based on firmness of snow, riders weight, angles, etc. A sixteen m ski can carve tighter so personally again, I'd wait a while till one gets to where they themselves can get a feel for differences, and demo.

Yep, two questions for sure.

I know I want a soft ski so I can get it to bend in order to get the feel of a ski bending and carving. I really want to become technically skilled so I can traverse any Blue run comfortably and in control. Being in control of my speed is my #1 objective.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
For you, a Rossi Exp 84 is about as good as it gets. You need a 'medium' flex ski at your weight, some sidecut, and camber. This ski checks those boxes.

For your wife, a Kastle FX 85.

Sponsor

Staff online