• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The kid bagged her first win as a U14 at Jay Peak today. Wrecked in run two, but walked away from it with just a bloody mouth.
DSC_2025.jpg

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is too funny not to post - oldest just came out of the bindings in the second run of GS and I was certain he didn't clean the boots although He claimed that his coach cleaned them - Alpine Ontario just twitted a random photo of "racers lining up for the second run" and guess who's in the middle, getting his boots cleaned by his coach???

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP20R8AD7A0/

16229379_236329380158465_5117255195889238016_n.jpg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sad but sober decision. Today my U16 daughter came to the conclusion that she will quit ski racing. She doesn't think it's fun anymore and isn't prepared to put in the time and energy.
I think it's for the best and thst she will keep on free skiing. We've had many wonderful times and made lots of friends. It was worth it. Totally!

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And I won't be able to comfort myself by going to the WC race Tursday as I nerd to be out of town for work:(

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear she is giving up Swede but a mature decision by her if it is no longer her passion. Much better to decide now than to reluctantly keep racing I see that too often where they continue simply from parental pressure but not really enjoying or applying the necessary focus and effort. Will have given her a great foundation for the rest of her skiing life regardless

Time for you to go Masters racing instead!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Has been a big part of life the last five years so it's going to feel empty for a while.

I alternately dread and look forward to the day when my girls make the same decision. 7 years of ski racing basically taking over our lives from October through March reaches a crescendo of exhaustion come March every year. The emotional highs and lows take their toll. I wouldn't trade the experience so far though for anything else I've experienced in my 5 decades on this wonderful ball. What great people, places, events, highs. lows, etc we've seen so far. Mostly it's about the people we've met along the way!

A few pics from the last month or so

Trying to get off a downhill in this...Aspen Highlands Speed Week

Tuning skis in the pre-dawn parking lot in Steamboat

My youngest racing the Super G at Prater Cup (Crested Butte)

Youngest again off the jump in Super G at Council Cup (Ski Cooper)
IMG_20170305_195423 (1).jpg

My oldest atop the podium for two GS wins to close out Council Cup at Ski Cooper

Here she is again taking the overall at Council Cup...finished on the podium for 5 of 6 events! Hopefully she can carry that momentum on to Championships and make the flip for the first time against the larger, better field!

Last edited:

spackler

Booting up
Skier
The kid bagged her first win as a U14 at Jay Peak today. Wrecked in run two, but walked away from it with just a bloody mouth.

Just noticed this. Our u10s and u12s were at Jay that weekend for a camp, that course looked really fun. A lot more offset than we get here on our little hills with narrow runs. The day before that race, I was skiing in powder above my knees on that run. Amazing that they got in shape for the race. Hope the rest of her season has been going well. @epic

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I alternately dread and look forward to the day when my girls make the same decision. 7 years of ski racing basically taking over our lives from October through March reaches a crescendo of exhaustion come March every year. The emotional highs and lows take their toll. I wouldn't trade the experience so far though for anything else I've experienced in my 5 decades on this wonderful ball. What great people, places, events, highs. lows, etc we've seen so far. Mostly it's about the people we've met along the way!

I now can use each yearly budget on a week of lavish luxury in Vail and then Gstaad, go heliskiing in Canada or skiing som Jappowder and still have some change.
Still won't beat a U14 SuperG weekend in Funäs, Sweden (-20C) ... She's doing the local SL and GS training this season out. No more races.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Am I allowed to post that my almost 30 year old daughter can still rip? She won the season's woman's trophy in her beer league. In spite of being really sick for four of the meets, and missing two of the eight races.

(She got that horrid flu that leaves you coughing for weeks and cracked a rib from the coughing. I wish I could say she was better now.)

As to dropping out of racing, she stopped after freshman year of college because she wanted to concentrate on college and felt she couldn't do both and succeed in both. But, it turned out she never really left the sport because her old team asked her to coach when they heard she'd moved back after college. So she did that for five seasons (with an interruption for grad school). She's done with that now, but doing this beer league thing, so in a way she didn't leave.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
GS at Burke for State Championships this past weekend. Not moving on to Easterns, so just looking forward to Sugar Slalom and a few other races before mountain bike race season starts. Trying to figure out U16 equipment rules and re-boot (literally) for next season.
DSC_2996.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online