• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Ok, I’m a bit late to the party, but I finally found the old EpicSki thread. I ruptured my right quad tendon on Nov 4th 2016 and found the thread shorty after. It’s was a great source of info and really helped me get through some tough patches. Glad to see many familiar names on here. I’ll be checking in weekly to see how you all are doing

I’m about 11 months post op and while I can’t say I’m 100% better, it’s getting close. Not sure I’ll ever be 100%, but at least I’m able to do most things now.

Right with you. Halloween will be my 1 year TQT anniversary. 100%? No, not quite there. But getting there.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
So great to hear from folks “in the club”....I too found lots of encouragement, insight and ideas when I landed on this list.

One thing I did not see was something I tried once I could drive again. I would bend the injured knee as far as I could and plant on the floor of the car. Then I would use the power seat, going forward as far as I could and holding then power it back. It really helped me increase my ROM. And the bonus was that no one could see the tears in my eyes from the pain....

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Me still improving, not as fast as I'd like but seems on track to be back to normal by the end of the year. The physiotherapist has discharged me now with an open appointment to go back if I need to but other than that just crack on with the gym work to finish the rebuild of my knee and ankle muscles. Next step is to persuade the docs to take the metalwork out of my ankle otherwise it will be interesting trying to get ski boots on!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Hope everyone is doing well. A month has gone by since my last post. The weather has been great for outdoor biking and I have taken advantage of that. Now the cold weather is coming in so my outside rides have been reduced as I get ready for indoor spinning.

My knee continues to improve as I head into my 9th month post op. The range of motion gets better each week and I notice decreasing pain although things are still tight. I keep wondering when things will be normal but my guess is never. My gait is more normal once I get moving. I am walking up and down stairs more normally but with an abundance of caution. Not looking forward to the upcoming ice and snow but I know I have to keep moving.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hope everyone is doing well. A month has gone by since my last post. The weather has been great for outdoor biking and I have taken advantage of that. Now the cold weather is coming in so my outside rides have been reduced as I get ready for indoor spinning.

My knee continues to improve as I head into my 9th month post op. The range of motion gets better each week and I notice decreasing pain although things are still tight. I keep wondering when things will be normal but my guess is never. My gait is more normal once I get moving. I am walking up and down stairs more normally but with an abundance of caution. Not looking forward to the upcoming ice and snow but I know I have to keep moving.

You're probably finding that you goo longer and longer without thinking about the leg versus the first few months where it pretty much dictates how you do everything. After about a year to year and a half it's generally something you don't think about much though you'll never look at circumstances similar to how you hurt your leg the same. For me it's possibly slippery steps and slopes. Pretty much anything where one foot can potentially slip while the other stays planted.

Last edited:

wim

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi - I just found this thread today but been in the "club" for 18 weeks. Slipped on some seaweed at the beach and it felt like my knee cap was doing laps around my leg. Except it wouldn't go back where it belonged ;) Surgery went well but the first 6 weeks or so were pretty rough - a lot of swelling and excruciating pain if my leg was bent or jiggled. I've had a very hard time recovering flexion and I'm still only at around 110 now. I've not been subjected to MUA or other extraordinary measures because despite being slow (about 5 degrees a week) my progress has been consistent and strength has good. I'd consider a dynamic stretching brace but they don't seem to be very accessible here in Canada (BC).
Its been reassuring to read through the original epicski thread and learn that my experiences were reasonable typical. The rubber-band feeling was especially worrisome; glad that has gone away. At this point, I can walk normally on level ground or even up hill. I can go up stairs alternating legs without a railing but it is not quite 100% yet. Downhill slants and stairs are still a problem but its coming slowly.
Off to stretch now ....

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Welcome aboard! You sound as though you are doing very well. Don’t get discouraged as you rehab. You will make progress in spurts and to be at 110 in 18 weeks is great! Walking down stairs is the most difficult to master. I am 9 1/2 months into this and hovering at about 80 to 85% of what I was before the injury.

Now that snow has fallen and we have ice I am a nervous wreck as I slipped on some ice while walking my dog during a snow storm... you will find yourself always alert for potential falls.

Do what your PT tells you to do, exercise regularly and look forward to small gains because they will add up!

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Out of curiosity - and based on some research I am looking at with statin (cholesterol lowering) drugs - how many of you are taking a statin drug for reducing cholesterol levels?

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Welcome aboard! You sound as though you are doing very well. Don’t get discouraged as you rehab. You will make progress in spurts and to be at 110 in 18 weeks is great! Walking down stairs is the most difficult to master. I am 9 1/2 months into this and hovering at about 80 to 85% of what I was before the injury.

Now that snow has fallen and we have ice I am a nervous wreck as I slipped on some ice while walking my dog during a snow storm... you will find yourself always alert for potential falls.

Do what your PT tells you to do, exercise regularly and look forward to small gains because they will add up!
I know I've said this before but it's interesting how there are few tales of near death experiences or heroism that lead to a quad tear. It seems like it's usually something like "I was walking my dog and......".

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Out of curiosity - and based on some research I am looking at with statin (cholesterol lowering) drugs - how many of you are taking a statin drug for reducing cholesterol levels?
No statins for me....I have read that statins can cause muscle pain/weakness and I have friends who have stopped taking them for that reason..

My OS opines that most cases he sees are male, over age 50 and usually physically active and in good shape. My knee had been aching preceding the injury, possibly inflamed tendons which could have been weak and prone to the ruptured quad....

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Not much conversation going on here...assuming everyone is pain free, has a rom of 135 degrees, is enjoying the icy winter season and not fearful about their future or falling again....

I have been gradually getting out in the snow, but wearing my cleats, yaxtrax or other device when I venture out....forcing myself to feel normal when I get on a slippery surface. My ROM keeps improving and I notice I have been going down stairs without my usual death grip on the railings and I have been going in a continuous motion. Three weeks ago that was not the case. My first anniversary will be next month....hard to believe....

I still get tired if I stand for too long but overall feeling more normal.....

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Randy was taking a statin drug before he tore both quad tendons. I did some research at the time and that definitely seemed like a possible cause.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. I thought I remembered him saying that. The docs just started Bob on one. Hence my question.

I did a lot of research, but cause and effect is hard to prove. Perhaps he should be taking calcium or ??? to combat the effects. I suggest he discuss his concerns with the prescribing doctor.

Of course, there are a lot more people who don't suffer any ill effects. But it is definitely a valid question.

wim

Skier
Not much conversation going on here...assuming everyone is pain free, has a rom of 135 degrees, is enjoying the icy winter season and not fearful about their future or falling again....

I have been gradually getting out in the snow, but wearing my cleats, yaxtrax or other device when I venture out....forcing myself to feel normal when I get on a slippery surface. My ROM keeps improving and I notice I have been going down stairs without my usual death grip on the railings and I have been going in a continuous motion. Three weeks ago that was not the case. My first anniversary will be next month....hard to believe....

I still get tired if I stand for too long but overall feeling more normal.....

135 degrees is still pretty elusive for me. Still haven't got to 120, even when "helped". Active range is improving though and my leg swings freely up to about 95. Last week I had to stand during a meeting for upwards of an hour and a half and came away just fine. So that's progress ;) I'm even picking up speed coming down inclines.

Down stairs is still scary and I've starting doing some plyometrics at PT. Surely I'm on my way to the NBA with my "one inch vertical jump."

Fortunately, we've only had a few snowy / icy days here on the west coast. I did get a glimpse of what it must be like to get (even more) on in years. The first chilly morning, when I tried to leave for work, both the wife and a neighbor came rushing out because they didn't want me walking on the ice to my car unaided. I marched across the snowy lawn and ignored them ....

Feels like I should be farther along coming up to six months.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Wim.....never get discouraged with this! All of us eventually heal but it can take longer with some than others. Lots of factors figure into this like age, weight, flexibility, the surgery etc. I will be a 12 months in February and I have good days, better days and not so good days. I take them in stride because it is a marathon not a sprint.

Six months is not a long time. This injury will make you cautious for ever...not a bad thing. Stay positive and keep moving forward!

wim

Skier
Wim.....never get discouraged with this! All of us eventually heal but it can take longer with some than others. Lots of factors figure into this like age, weight, flexibility, the surgery etc. I will be a 12 months in February and I have good days, better days and not so good days. I take them in stride because it is a marathon not a sprint.

Six months is not a long time. This injury will make you cautious for ever...not a bad thing. Stay positive and keep moving forward!

Progress is coming more slowly but I still notice small improvements. I've gone up stairs a few times lately without thinking about it. I've squatted to nearly parallel with weight on the bar albeit not much. Saw the surgeon last week and after some bending and examination in the office, *he* is confident that I will recover good ROM if I just keep working on stretching. For the first time, there was no veiled hint that maybe I wasn't doing enough; just an acknowledgment that my situation has been difficult and the continued advancement is a good sign.

I'm noticing that I'm more and more capable walking on uneven ground and on challenging terrain. However, it requires me to consciously move my foot into the right position. Otherwise I revert to poor form. I'm not sure if its habit, fear or something underlying.

Mostly I'm feeling positive due to the progress. Still a little worried because very little feels normal yet even though it seems to work okay. How long does it take to stop thinking about it all the time?

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Progress is coming more slowly but I still notice small improvements. I've gone up stairs a few times lately without thinking about it. I've squatted to nearly parallel with weight on the bar albeit not much. Saw the surgeon last week and after some bending and examination in the office, *he* is confident that I will recover good ROM if I just keep working on stretching. For the first time, there was no veiled hint that maybe I wasn't doing enough; just an acknowledgment that my situation has been difficult and the continued advancement is a good sign.

I'm noticing that I'm more and more capable walking on uneven ground and on challenging terrain. However, it requires me to consciously move my foot into the right position. Otherwise I revert to poor form. I'm not sure if its habit, fear or something underlying.

Mostly I'm feeling positive due to the progress. Still a little worried because very little feels normal yet even though it seems to work okay. How long does it take to stop thinking about it all the time?
You're probably finding that you go longer and longer without thinking about "the leg" but never thinking about it may take a year or year and a half. At almost 3 years out I never think about it even going going down slopes or stairs EXCEPT it they are potentially slippery. Then I remind myself to be careful.

wim

Skier
You're probably finding that you go longer and longer without thinking about "the leg" but never thinking about it may take a year or year and a half. At almost 3 years out I never think about it even going going down slopes or stairs EXCEPT it they are potentially slippery. Then I remind myself to be careful.

Sure been quiet here. Progress update on my side ...

I've only gained about 5 degrees passive flexion in the last month, bringing me to around 115 or a little higher. Active side has almost caught up as I can get 105-110 fairly easily on a good day. I don't feel a hard stop when stretching, its just that improvements are coming very slowly.

Significant proprioceptive advancements ; I have a much better sense of the angle and position of my foot.

I can now walk on most inclines and declines at "normal" speed and without being particularly mindful of my challenges, I even managed a brief hike through modest terrain and though slow, I made it just fine. Okay, the short water crossing over slippery rocks was unnerving ;) I've (just) started going down stairs by alternating legs, albeit holding on the railing except for the last few brave steps at the bottom.

Anyone else have positive experience recovering the last 10 or so degrees of flexion in the 7th month or beyond?

drofwaves

Skier

I was....started statins 2013...quit a few days ago..done.

Me: 57 year old active, fit male.

My first quad tendon ruptured from a benign event Jan 2016. Didn’t make the connection between weak connective tissue and statin use. Now just two weeks ago I popped the other leg. Another benign event.

I’m convinced it’s the statin.

Glad to find the epic ski replacement..

Scott

Sponsor

Staff online