• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Joining the group 6 weeks PO. I'm a 54 year old male. Completely tore my left quad tendon April 26 stepping from a stair to a sloped sidewalk. Had surgery to reattach it April 29 at Vancouver general hospital in Canada. OS was Henry Broekhuyse. I have been reading your experiences about this injury and recovery since the surgery. Thank you all for the insight and sharing this journey. I had a follow up wilth the OS June 6 and he unlocked the brace which I had been in since surgery. In that time the only exercise allowed by the OS was brace on leg lifts and quad flexes that i did daily getting up the 120 a day. I also had my chiropractor give me class IV laser treatments on the knee. After the okay from the OS last week, I went to visit the PT for the first time June 7 and now have 97ROM and today can do full forward and reverse rotations on the stat bike. To my surprise I was able to walk up stairs one step at a time. I have ditched the brace (at my discretion as per the OS instruction) in favour of crutches outside and a cane at home as recommended by my PT to build strength. Leg gets very stiff and swollen at the end of the day and needs ice and rest. Leg is reasonably stable. Walking is very slow however it is so great to move. I'm seeing the PT Three times a week. I can see how we all can over do it initially. I'm encouraged by everyone's progress and will keep you updated on mine. There is light at the end of the tunnel and we will all get there! Cheers!
"Welcome" to the club. It sounds like you're making great progress. You can also find a lot of archived material here.

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20...16/quadriceps-tendon-rupture-repair-and-rehab

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Joining the group 6 weeks PO. I'm a 54 year old male. Completely tore my left quad tendon April 26 stepping from a stair to a sloped sidewalk. Had surgery to reattach it April 29 at Vancouver general hospital in Canada. OS was Henry Broekhuyse. I have been reading your experiences about this injury and recovery since the surgery. Thank you all for the insight and sharing this journey. I had a follow up wilth the OS June 6 and he unlocked the brace which I had been in since surgery. In that time the only exercise allowed by the OS was brace on leg lifts and quad flexes that i did daily getting up the 120 a day. I also had my chiropractor give me class IV laser treatments on the knee. After the okay from the OS last week, I went to visit the PT for the first time June 7 and now have 97ROM and today can do full forward and reverse rotations on the stat bike. To my surprise I was able to walk up stairs one step at a time. I have ditched the brace (at my discretion as per the OS instruction) in favour of crutches outside and a cane at home as recommended by my PT to build strength. Leg gets very stiff and swollen at the end of the day and needs ice and rest. Leg is reasonably stable. Walking is very slow however it is so great to move. I'm seeing the PT Three times a week. I can see how we all can over do it initially. I'm encouraged by everyone's progress and will keep you updated on mine. There is light at the end of the tunnel and we will all get there! Cheers!

As "clubs" go, this is one you would just as soon not join but . . .welcome.

Sounds like you're making great progress. Keep us updated. We have all been there.

terry hammer

Booting up
Skier
Pretty impressive! I have been going upstairs well but down is still one at a time! I hold on and I get nervous when I don't see a handrail! The fact you are running is very nice and inspirational to those of us who are behind you! Keep it up!

At PT they gave started me on the elliptical and she have taken you it! I can do the bike pedaling backwards but still not smooth! Also I am doing squats using a big ball behind my back, leaning on the wall. Fear of falling is never far away!

My ROM is closing in on 100 and I went back to work today! I was exhausted but stayed with it for my 6 hour shift. I work as a courier for an auto dealership...I put over 12000 steps on my fit bit as well. Not pretty as I walk but getting better. I am trying to walk normally but not have to really concentrate. The PT say they feel I will cotinue to gain motion.

Slow but steady progress...painful as they stretch the knee joint...the pain has moved from the sides of the knee to under the kneecap... the injured knee is still very warm compared to the other knee....

Great job everyone! The stairs are my main concern right now as well. I bought some ankle weights to use at home and have also started using the leg equipment at my gym to try and strengthen the quad. Good idea about walking uphill, Benni. I will try that as well.

I'm 16 weeks post op and at 132 ROM. Very stiff after sitting or standing too long. I think that is from the knee replacement I had just prior to the rupture of the quad.

12,000 steps on the fit bit is pretty impressive. My goal has been 5,000 per day but think I should be increasing that now!

The side of my knee is also warm. I've been meaning to ask the doc about that but my appointments are few and far between now.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Great job everyone! The stairs are my main concern right now as well. I bought some ankle weights to use at home and have also started using the leg equipment at my gym to try and strengthen the quad. Good idea about walking uphill, Benni. I will try that as well.

I'm 16 weeks post op and at 132 ROM. Very stiff after sitting or standing too long. I think that is from the knee replacement I had just prior to the rupture of the quad.

12,000 steps on the fit bit is pretty impressive. My goal has been 5,000 per day but think I should be increasing that now!

The side of my knee is also warm. I've been meaning to ask the doc about that but my appointments are few and far between now.
132 degrees is almost full range of motion for a knee replacement isn't it?

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
I am in my 17th week PO. My knee is still warm to the touch, sometimes warmer than others. Up to 100 degrees sitting up but when I lay on my stomach, not quite 90 degrees. The longer I sit the longer it takes to recover when I get up! The PTs say the bend is still soft so I am still gaining ROM. Going up the stairs well, coming down stairs is still one at a time. I am working on getting in and out of the car more normally but still have a ways to go! Still lifting myself up in and out!

Going back to work has helped stabilize my gait. Although I am exhausted after the 6 hour shift! Getting in and out of the car and walking makes me feel like I am improving and getting stamina, strength and coordination.

Welcome LuceLite63! At some point we'll teach you the secret handshake.....

Judy adams

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
53 year old female. Slipped in the driveway 3/15/2017. I had ran 5 miles the morning of the accident. Got a Peloton for Christmas and was riding and hour every other day. The injury was devastating. Surgery 3/22. I'm at 12 weeks and walking a mile and 10 min on the reclining bike. Range is hair over 100 degrees. No brace and no crutches the early weeks were rough

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
53 year old female. Slipped in the driveway 3/15/2017. I had ran 5 miles the morning of the accident. Got a Peloton for Christmas and was riding and hour every other day. The injury was devastating. Surgery 3/22. I'm at 12 weeks and walking a mile and 10 min on the reclining bike. Range is hair over 100 degrees. No brace and no crutches the early weeks were rough
Judy welcome to the club! Great progress to be at 100 degrees at 12 weeks! The injury is debilitating in many ways...takes a huge physical toll but also mentally it begs to ask, "why me, why now"...and it makes you think twice about taking any risks....

Great group of folks on the list that will inform and inspire you.

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Week 22 . I finally took a 4 hour road trip . My leg didn't ache the whole time. BUT when I pulled over to use the bathroom it was stiff. So if you plan on Taking a little trip don't wait to the last minute to goto the restroom. You definitely won't be able to run. I looked like I had hip surgery trying to get to the restroom Lol. Other than that is was smooth sailing. I ran up and down the steps it wasn't pretty but I had to try. I'm also going down the steps the opposite way to where my left hand is on the rail hopefully this helps something. I'll try anything at this point to get where I need to be. I'm back lifting at the weight I was lifting before my injury so that's a plus. The leg is still .5 inch smaller and I still have a flat surface where the tear was at. That seems to be the problem spot when it comes to building muscle there

Judy adams

Skier
Thanks zukes243! Made about 103 degrees today. I feel like my ROM is a bit behind. But walked 2 miles and did 10 min on the bike. I leave Thursday to spend the summer in Boulder. I'm a bit worried about being confined on the plane. The change of scenery will be nice and I have PT lined up with hopefully some new strategies. Apparently it's not uncommon injury there with all the skiers and hikers.. Beni ..my leg gets soooo stiff. I was wondering when that goes away. I'm at 13 weeks. Sorry to hear you still have a lot of stiffness at 22 weeks

MN_quadtear

Skier
"Welcome" to the club. It sounds like you're making great progress. You can also find a lot of archived material here.

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20...16/quadriceps-tendon-rupture-repair-and-rehab
Hi all. I am at 18 weeksPO. My recovery has gone well. I seem to make noticeable progress every 10 days. Currently, able to walk 6 miles with some steeper ascent/descent grades, bike rolling 30 m and back to the pools swimming freestyle, backstroke only.

I am curious how months 4-10 PO seem to have gone.?
- Are there plateaus to be fought through?
- how do value specific PT drills v general fitness work? (They seem to have been VERY valuable in the early going,I wonder if their usefulness remains high during the coming phase?)

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Thanks zukes243! Made about 103 degrees today. I feel like my ROM is a bit behind. But walked 2 miles and did 10 min on the bike. I leave Thursday to spend the summer in Boulder. I'm a bit worried about being confined on the plane. The change of scenery will be nice and I have PT lined up with hopefully some new strategies. Apparently it's not uncommon injury there with all the skiers and hikers.. Beni ..my leg gets soooo stiff. I was wondering when that goes away. I'm at 13 weeks. Sorry to hear you still have a lot of stiffness at 22 weeks
I went to the Dominican republic 15 weeks out and my leg was just fine on the plane. The only thing I noticed was that my leg did swell from airport walking. So elevated when you can. One guy said in a post once not to focus on the ROM and just stay active and it will come . He was right . Your doing great so far with waking 2 miles and biking

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Beni I read your post about travel to the DR. Wondering if you tire easily? I am trying to get my stamina back and going back to work has helped. Hoping it keeps improving...

They added kneeling, lunges and a series of standing leg movements with weight- helps improve balance. The kneeling and lunges I do at home and they are helpful gaining ROM. I feel like a klutz trying to do the leg movements as I hold onto a ski pole. They tell me it is the skill of balance that this will improve.

LuceLight63

Skier
Reporting in 8weeks PO. Thank-you all for the welcome to the club messages. Looking forward to learning the handshake zukes!
Beni you are motivating me to rebook for September a vacation I cancelled after the injury. I got to 120ROM with the PT this past week. With ROM not being a problem at least so far, I'm focusing on Quad strength. Walking upstairs with continuous motion but slowly . pT is training me to work on the downstairs buts it's going to talk time physically and mentally. PT also gave me a 15min electro muscle stimulus flexing the quads. Seems to have helped firm up some of the remaining muscle mass. Walked 1.7k there and back along the sea wall today with only 4 stops and no cane! Resting and icing this evening...... I'm also curious about the stiffness. Even with the increasing ROM stiffness does not improve at the same rate. Doing lots a legs hangs to stretch it out. Still significant swelling and in the knee ankle and foot as the day goes on.it goes away with rest overnight. Zukes I'm working on balancing too,but not ready for lunges and cannot yet think about kneeling. It's great to hear everyone's progress.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Reporting in 8weeks PO. Thank-you all for the welcome to the club messages. Looking forward to learning the handshake zukes!
Beni you are motivating me to rebook for September a vacation I cancelled after the injury. I got to 120ROM with the PT this past week. With ROM not being a problem at least so far, I'm focusing on Quad strength. Walking upstairs with continuous motion but slowly . pT is training me to work on the downstairs buts it's going to talk time physically and mentally. PT also gave me a 15min electro muscle stimulus flexing the quads. Seems to have helped firm up some of the remaining muscle mass. Walked 1.7k there and back along the sea wall today with only 4 stops and no cane! Resting and icing this evening...... I'm also curious about the stiffness. Even with the increasing ROM stiffness does not improve at the same rate. Doing lots a legs hangs to stretch it out. Still significant swelling and in the knee ankle and foot as the day goes on.it goes away with rest overnight. Zukes I'm working on balancing too,but not ready for lunges and cannot yet think about kneeling. It's great to hear everyone's progress.
I am envious of your ROM this early! I am at 100 and every new degree is painful!
As to the stiffness, yes after I sit down for more than a few minutes my legs are stiff until I can walk a bit. Walking is great to help build strength, coordination and stamina. Since going back to work 2 weeks ago, I can feel myself improving.
Don't get discouraged, it will all fall into place!

LuceLight63

Skier
Thanks Zukes. I'm definitely adding walking to my daily program along with stair training.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
I'm 7 months post-op and can tell you that walking - a LOT of walking - is really beneficial.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
PT tells me I have 10 sessions left on my Medicare before I hit the "cap". I asked about getting an override as I am only at 100 ROM and still have a way to go to get back. They thought it would be doubtful to get anywhere. I go back in 2 weeks to see the OS for another follow up.

Does anyone have any experience with that? I read the rules and they said waivers are granted when it is medically necessary.

terry hammer

Booting up
Skier
Today was only the second day that I hit over 10,000 steps since my first surgery in January. I am very swollen and sore tonight. Keeping me awake. Not sure if I should push through in the coming days and keep trying to hit that 10,000 step mark or back off a bit. I've read here that some of you recommend walking a lot. Trying to get that quad fired up!! Happy 4th to you all!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Today was only the second day that I hit over 10,000 steps since my first surgery in January. I am very swollen and sore tonight. Keeping me awake. Not sure if I should push through in the coming days and keep trying to hit that 10,000 step mark or back off a bit. I've read here that some of you recommend walking a lot. Trying to get that quad fired up!! Happy 4th to you all!
I would back off and talk with my OS. A little pain is one thing but swelling combined with pain keeping you awake is too much! Everyone is different in how they heal. Walking is helping me gain strength and stamina. I am careful not to overdo it when I walk. I went back you work on 6/12 working 3 days per week 6 or 7 hours per day. My job involves walking and riding in the car. I did 10,000 steps over the entire day, not all at once!

Recovery from this injury is a marathon not a sprint.

Take care of yourself so that you can heal Terry!

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
I would back off and talk with my OS. A little pain is one thing but swelling combined with pain keeping you awake is too much! Everyone is different in how they heal. Walking is helping me gain strength and stamina. I am careful not to overdo it when I walk. I went back you work on 6/12 working 3 days per week 6 or 7 hours per day. My job involves walking and riding in the car. I did 10,000 steps over the entire day, not all at once!

Recovery from this injury is a marathon not a sprint.

Take care of yourself so that you can heal Terry!
I'm also not sure that much swelling the 5 to 6 month mark is completely normal. A little puffy yes but what you describe sounds like you may have overused it. Try Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation and give your OS a call like Zukes said.

Sponsor

Staff online