• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
12 weeks post op and I'm at 115 ROM. No brace, no crutch and no cane! Woo hoo! PT is going great. Ready for summer and booked a vacation. Was supposed to go to Europe but waiting until I'm fully recovered. Using my Fitbit and shooting for 4,000 steps a day. Hope you are all doing well!
Congratulations you must be feeling very good! Lots of hard work went into your success so you should enjoy it!

I am stuck ....still struggling, but up to 90 degrees...I go back Monday for my 12 week with the OS. As bummed out as I feel....I have come a long way....driving, showering daily,walking and sleeping without the brace....at home....doing errands and today I walked the dog for the first time....also did a full reverse rotation on the bike today at PT. Oh well I am hanging tough...

terry hammer

Booting up
Skier
Congratulations you must be feeling very good! Lots of hard work went into your success so you should enjoy it!

I am stuck ....still struggling, but up to 90 degrees...I go back Monday for my 12 week with the OS. As bummed out as I feel....I have come a long way....driving, showering daily,walking and sleeping without the brace....at home....doing errands and today I walked the dog for the first time....also did a full reverse rotation on the bike today at PT. Oh well I am hanging tough...

You are doing fine! Keep up the good work. You will get there. It took me a while to be comfortable sleeping without the brace. I was shocked by that. I've been really swollen this week and in more pain than usual. I'm guessing it's the amped up PT. Trying to take it easy this weekend. Way to hang in there!!

davkt

Booting up
Skier
Well hopefully I've ditched the brace! Last wore it Wednesday and unless my knee really starts playing up won't be putting it back on. Still rather unstable but getting better so still using the crutches. A bit of a new issue started last night, I'll speak to my doctor about it on Monday but was wondering if anyone here has had the same. Out and about using the crutches mostly for stability rather than weight bearing I have been getting a sharp stabbing pain (like a hyperdermic needle going in) running down from my quads muscle to my knee. It happens every few hundred steps and goes away after a few seconds.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Common ground for all of us....pain!....my PT tells me the swelling is part of this injury and it takes a full year for it to go away. Icing the knee is one of the best therapies for it.

DAVKT I have not had the stabbing pain. However my OS made a point to identify the most important piece of real estate is the 1" where the quad gets sewn to the knee....he told me that pain there during the first 8 weeks is something he wanted to know about....pain above or below that area or the sides of the knee is expected....

Bottom line is I would call the OS Office and let them know.....

Now that I am more mobile I have been overdoing it and now have aches and pain all over over....I guess the fact that I could not do much of anything for close to three months...I am paying for it now.....

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Follow up....

Today was my 12 week follow up with the OS. He is pleased with my progress even though I am a little discouraged. He told me that 6 months is the bench mark he uses. At 6 months I will be mostly normal and another 6 months beyond that to be in pre injury shape. He did recommend getting into a swimming pool and or a hot tub to help speed up PT progress. He told me to ditch the brace and that stability on my feet will get better with walking. I got back in 8 weeks....hope you get back on my bike by then.....

Saffron40

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Follow up....

Today was my 12 week follow up with the OS. He is pleased with my progress even though I am a little discouraged. He told me that 6 months is the bench mark he uses. At 6 months I will be mostly normal and another 6 months beyond that to be in pre injury shape. He did recommend getting into a swimming pool and or a hot tub to help speed up PT progress. He told me to ditch the brace and that stability on my feet will get better with walking. I got back in 8 weeks....hope you get back on my bike by then.....
I tore both of mine in mid-January 2016. By mid-July I was walking the Vegas strip and golfing with zero issues. And 1 year to the day was back playing hockey. Just played my 50th game this past weekend. So your OS is right on with the timeline in my experience. It's just a factor of time, physio and work. Good luck in your recovery.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Follow up....

That time frame was about right for me. Mostly normal at 6 months doing things like climbing ladders and working hard. I wasn't supposed to be on roofs until 9 months but I fudged on some with a slight pitch. Slopes and stairs were still not normal.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
I tore both of mine in mid-January 2016. By mid-July I was walking the Vegas strip and golfing with zero issues. And 1 year to the day was back playing hockey. Just played my 50th game this past weekend. So your OS is right on with the timeline in my experience. It's just a factor of time, physio and work. Good luck in your recovery.
Isn't modern medicine great? The first reattachment was performed in 1949 so I guess you were severely limited prior to that. Now we do a little (a whole lot) of rehab and get back in the rink or whatever we used to do.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Successful week at PT...managed to do a complete rotation on the bike, in reverse. It took over a week and then I was able to do one going forward. Very painful at first but getting easier and less painful. They have me mastering the reverse first. AlSo, hit 90 degrees ROM passively....I can sit normally and much easier in the car. At home I am walking close to a mile, no brace! Working at bring more steady on my feet when I stand up. Feel like a drunken sailor....

I feel very out of shape after nearly three months with the injury. I tire easily but gaining strength.

Thank you Saffron40 and Last in Lin for the positive feedback! DAVKT how did you make out with the sharp pain?

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Successful week at PT...managed to do a complete rotation on the bike, in reverse. It took over a week and then I was able to do one going forward. Very painful at first but getting easier and less painful. They have me mastering the reverse first. AlSo, hit 90 degrees ROM passively....I can sit normally and much easier in the car. At home I am walking close to a mile, no brace! Working at bring more steady on my feet when I stand up. Feel like a drunken sailor....

I feel very out of shape after nearly three months with the injury. I tire easily but gaining strength.

Thank you Saffron40 and Last in Lin for the positive feedback! DAVKT how did you make out with the sharp pain?
My pleasure Zukes. I feel that once I got to full revolutions progress started coming faster.

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone. I'm 18 weeks post op. I was 6 weeks in a full leg cast non weight bearing. My leg is getting stronger by the week. I remember when I couldn't even put weight on it. I got the okay from the doctor to lift weights at 11 weeks and light running at week 15(I think lol) running is still difficult for me . I'm not in as good as shape as I was so I have to take breaks. I still have the limp when I start off but it goes away after i warm up. I lift on legs 3 times a week and went down from 3 to 2 PT session in a week soon to be 1. I can go up the stairs with no problem going down is about 75%. My main focus now is to gain as much muscle mass as I can before I go crazy on the cardio. I was in excellent shape before the injury I loved to run but I also loved to lift. So having muscle on me before the injury helped out a lot . My calves and my inner thigh seem like they had the most atrophy so I make sure to them with one leg and not both so my good leg won't do all the work. My leg is still about an inch smaller. I recently took a vacation to the Dominican republic . So those of you who are planning a trip don't worry too much you should be fine I took mine at 15 weeks. Also I do not have any leg buckling but it does get stiff if I do too much. I can finally sleep in every direction and can kneel. I'm still eating clean and I only drink water ,green tea and spark. This I believe is the key to my recovery. For some odd reason I want the feeling of running up and down the stairs. So that will be my next goal.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Beni Great work! So nice to hear how positive you are, it is encouraging for us coming behind you! I am working on the sleep thing now....ok on the non injured side but not quite there sleeping on the injured leg side....my goal is to get out on my bike before summer ends....doing full rotations in reverse now...can go forward rotation bug it takes a lot of warmup. Walking more now and concentrating on my gait...also on not being wobbly when I stand up....

Coming down stairs is still slow for me and I only dream about being able to kneel.

Congrats and thank you for the inspiration!

davkt

Booting up
Skier
I'm now 17 weeks post accident and can manage round the house without aids (but plenty of things to grab if (or rather when) my knee gives way) and for very short distances like taking the rubbish out outside. Out and about I still use crutches, mostly as a safety aid as my knee is very unstable still. I finally ditched the brace 2 weeks ago though may need it next week as I need to take a flight and while the airline says I can wear the brace no problem but won't give me a straight answer regarding the crutches.

Getting leg strength back takes a long time, I've been back to using very light weights, slowly building, in the gym for around a month and am seeing improvements, but have been told all along it will be be somewhere between 9 and 12 months (and that is assuming I put in the hard work in the gym) post op till my leg is back to normal for things like running, cycling, skiing and sailing. Cycling is fine in gym but I'm a way from daring to try outside, I live in a rather hilly area and even my 'flat' ride 9 miles down the valley to the outskirts of Derby and 9 miles back involves of 1000ft of climbing! Current target is to be fit to crew on my my clubs entry into the Caribbean 600 offshore yacht race next Feb, no way am I able to function safely as part of race crew at the moment but I have 8 and a bit months to sort that out!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
The Board is too quiet!

DAVKT your motion is great and I am sure your strength will come and that will bring the stability you need. I have the strength and stability but gaining the motion is slow but still coming.

I have been walking much more outside and feeling more comfortable on my feet. Also working on my balance by doing the one leg stands whenever I can and this has helped. I plan on returning to work this week or next. I have a p/t gig as a courier for an auto dealer. Getting in and out of the car will be the big task but I am ready.

When I feel down I look at where I was 6 weeks ago and I have come a long way. Still much more to go but feeling positive to get there!

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
Zukes243 I banged up a lot of doors getting out of the car. Not my fault people parked too close to my car. I remember I was so mad at my mom the day after surgery that I drove myself home from the hospital in full leg cast. I was half way up my seat. I even picked up my prescription on the way home by the time I got home I was in agonizing pain . I turned off my phone, closed my blinds and locked the door and cried my eyes out for 3 days. The only thing I enjoyed out of life was working out .I especially enjoyed running. I couldn't understand why God would take away the only thing that kept me happy. No kids and I'm single. Work ,gym, home was my life for 6 years. It took me along time to get out of that depression . This experience has hardened me. I'm no longer a people pleaser. it's me first. This group was a life savor. Okay now that that flash back is over with . I'm on week 19 and I did a 5 mile run/walk last Sunday . I had no routine prepared I would run until it started to get uncomfortable then I would walk. My leg didn't swell . The next day it was a little sore I ran/walked 13+ a minute mile .This Sunday I went out again I massaged my leg before I went out it took me .25 mile to warm up. I felt really good . I was amazed how the limp had diminished to where I barely noticed. So I set up a routine walk .25 and run .25. after a mile in, it felt like I was almost normal again except the fact that I was not conditioned and my breathing was off . I got down to 11:36 pace . My run speed was under 10,9 and 8 min pace. IT FELT AMAZING. Even when I was walking it felt good. I guess I was missing the endorphins. What ever it was I can't wait until this Sunday I'll up my run /walk intervals to .30. I hope everyone has an awesome week

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Holy crap Beni, you drove yourself home after surgery? That's unfathomable - you must be truly tough. I could barely make it to the bathroom for the first week.

Yup, this injury does screw with your head. Even the most mundane, everyday activities (taking a shower, driving a car, stairs) requires planning and care. But it does get better and it sounds like you're well on your way.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Beni....just trying to get the visual..post surgery jumping behind the wheel and driving home....I only fit in the car sideways with my leg locked in the brace and just barely fit...too funny...but you are determined!

You have done a great job getting to the point you are at today! The fact you can run into s amazing....I love to ride my bike and my goal is to be riding in July or august....I can only pedal backwards now but I am getting better so hopefully I will be able to pedal forward so I can get on the bike this summer!

I thought I was the only one who gets mad when people park to close to my car door in parking lots. I am tired of turning myself into an envelope so i can squeeze in! I too have probably put some dings in those cars....

Buffalo87..... I am straining my eyes looking for obstacles when I walk....how many stairs to climb....is the floor wet...what angle should I look for at restaurant table to sit down and get back up....planning all of the time...makes me extra tired....

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
I have been focusing on going down the steps lately and I noticed that I'm trying to get the full flex when going down. Everytime I go down the steps with someone I make them slow down to see what I'm doing wrong. I was missing the small kick before the flex.(if that makes any sense). I was too sore to run yesterday ,so I decided to do hills .I warmed up first doing 1 mile on flat land then climbed up and down the hill for 3.5 miles. Today without paying attention I went down the steps without holding on . I didn't realize til I got to the bottom that I didn't use the rail and going down the steps is much easier today. So I'm wondering if that loosened up my leg a little.I was amazed.BUT I won't make not holding on a habit anytime soon. So if your having a hard time with the steps pick a hill and walk up and down. I'll be 21 weeks out in a couple of days

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
I have been focusing on going down the steps lately and I noticed that I'm trying to get the full flex when going down. Everytime I go down the steps with someone I make them slow down to see what I'm doing wrong. I was missing the small kick before the flex.(if that makes any sense). I was too sore to run yesterday ,so I decided to do hills .I warmed up first doing 1 mile on flat land then climbed up and down the hill for 3.5 miles. Today without paying attention I went down the steps without holding on . I didn't realize til I got to the bottom that I didn't use the rail and going down the steps is much easier today. So I'm wondering if that loosened up my leg a little.I was amazed.BUT I won't make not holding on a habit anytime soon. So if your having a hard time with the steps pick a hill and walk up and down. I'll be 21 weeks out in a couple of days
Pretty impressive! I have been going upstairs well but down is still one at a time! I hold on and I get nervous when I don't see a handrail! The fact you are running is very nice and inspirational to those of us who are behind you! Keep it up!

At PT they gave started me on the elliptical and she have taken you it! I can do the bike pedaling backwards but still not smooth! Also I am doing squats using a big ball behind my back, leaning on the wall. Fear of falling is never far away!

My ROM is closing in on 100 and I went back to work today! I was exhausted but stayed with it for my 6 hour shift. I work as a courier for an auto dealership...I put over 12000 steps on my fit bit as well. Not pretty as I walk but getting better. I am trying to walk normally but not have to really concentrate. The PT say they feel I will cotinue to gain motion.

Slow but steady progress...painful as they stretch the knee joint...the pain has moved from the sides of the knee to under the kneecap... the injured knee is still very warm compared to the other knee....

LuceLight63

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Joining the group 6 weeks PO. I'm a 54 year old male. Completely tore my left quad tendon April 26 stepping from a stair to a sloped sidewalk. Had surgery to reattach it April 29 at Vancouver general hospital in Canada. OS was Henry Broekhuyse. I have been reading your experiences about this injury and recovery since the surgery. Thank you all for the insight and sharing this journey. I had a follow up wilth the OS June 6 and he unlocked the brace which I had been in since surgery. In that time the only exercise allowed by the OS was brace on leg lifts and quad flexes that i did daily getting up the 120 a day. I also had my chiropractor give me class IV laser treatments on the knee. After the okay from the OS last week, I went to visit the PT for the first time June 7 and now have 97ROM and today can do full forward and reverse rotations on the stat bike. To my surprise I was able to walk up stairs one step at a time. I have ditched the brace (at my discretion as per the OS instruction) in favour of crutches outside and a cane at home as recommended by my PT to build strength. Leg gets very stiff and swollen at the end of the day and needs ice and rest. Leg is reasonably stable. Walking is very slow however it is so great to move. I'm seeing the PT Three times a week. I can see how we all can over do it initially. I'm encouraged by everyone's progress and will keep you updated on mine. There is light at the end of the tunnel and we will all get there! Cheers!