• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
I was struggling to walk normally until one day at the park I was walking up a slight slope and realized i wasn't limping. I figured out that when we walk we do so in a slight crouch so I focused on walking with my knees slightly bent and the limp disappeared.
Thank you for the insight

terry hammer

Booting up
Skier
When does walking with the brace on get easier? I feel like Frankenstein or someone who has ridden a horse for too long. It is tiring. It seems that I had more speed and stamina using the crutches.

Also does anyone's feet feel "squishy" after being on them for a while and does that go away?[/QUOTE

Walking with the brace gets a little easier when you can unlock it. I had to concentrate on making sure I was doing the heel - toe walk and not being flat footed.

I got the squishy foot feeling when I would stand for too long.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
When does walking with the brace on get easier? I feel like Frankenstein or someone who has ridden a horse for too long. It is tiring. It seems that I had more speed and stamina using the crutches.

Also does anyone's feet feel "squishy" after being on them for a while and does that go away?
Like everything with this injury it takes time and patience, I'm 12 weeks post op, I've been hopping around on crutches and brace since week 3 (none weight bearing till week 8) and only now am I able to walk with either just the brace or just the crutches. As of yesterday my physiotherapist has told me I'm only allowed either 1 crutch and the brace or no brace and the pair of crutches for getting around. So walking normally is still a few weeks away.
Squishy feet, yep and squishy leg from all the muscle wasting, the hard work is to build that all up again.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Today was a milestone in my recovery....I bought one of those Limbo Waterproof bags from Amazon so that I could try standing up to take a shower. It arrived Friday and today, after cutting off the bottom of the bag so my barefoot would touch the tile, I took a stand up "big boy" shower. The first one since "the accident". I practiced several times getting in and out of the shower with the leg bag as a dry run. Working up the courage to do this was like preparing to disarm a bomb! Anyway another milestone on the board.

I will be quiet now.

TS
JohnG46

JohnG46

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
4 weeks 2 days Post Op

davekt - Thanks for the archive link. So much information contained in those posts. Prior to closing the forum last Friday, I finished reading all 11,206 entries / 374 page worth. It took some time, but that is what I had a lot of. I pulled things, sentences here and there,which I thought would be helpful to me as I progress forward.

Last Friday, I got up to 60 ROM at PT. I progressed from 50 on Monday, 55 on Wednesday and then back to 50 on Friday. The PT wasn't going to let me leave until I hit 55 at least. He didn't want any regression. With help from a heating pad and more stretching, we got to 60. He is pushing for 90 by my 6 week mark.

On days of PT, he doesn't want me to do anything (exercises at home) but rest the leg. On days without the PT visit, he upped my exercises to 7 times a day. It's taking me about 2 1/2 hours to complete everything trying to space it throughout the day. Still limited to patella movement, thigh contractions and thing drops off of my counter. I am trying to add a bit more pressure downward on the knee hangs when I get to the 10 count, holding it for a minute or more. Not sure if I've noticed any increase in ROM thus far this weekend. I'll ask him about heel slides at home tomorrow. He was going to allow 30 degrees bend when seated but the brace (DonJoy) wasn't locking properly so he dialed it back to 0 for this weekend. Hopefully he gets to fix it tomorrow. Also, was instructed to use one crutch now. No, problem with it aside from the occasional knee internal clicking when warming up for 5 minutes. Think I read this is somewhat normal.

Anyone remember their week 5? Any progress made - 75 ROM? I know that reaching 90 is a challenge to some and everyone is different due to a number of factors.

Zukes - What exercises are you doing at home (non PT days)? Still at 60?

I went 31 days without alcohol. Had two beers on Saturday and stopped after that. Certainly don't want it to impair my crutch walking. Seems like it's going to be months before I'll be comfortable having more than 1 or 2. Protect the leg!!

A great recovery / strengthening week to all!!

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
4 weeks 2 days Post Op

davekt - Thanks for the archive link. So much information contained in those posts. Prior to closing the forum last Friday, I finished reading all 11,206 entries / 374 page worth. It took some time, but that is what I had a lot of. I pulled things, sentences here and there,which I thought would be helpful to me as I progress forward.

Last Friday, I got up to 60 ROM at PT. I progressed from 50 on Monday, 55 on Wednesday and then back to 50 on Friday. The PT wasn't going to let me leave until I hit 55 at least. He didn't want any regression. With help from a heating pad and more stretching, we got to 60. He is pushing for 90 by my 6 week mark.

On days of PT, he doesn't want me to do anything (exercises at home) but rest the leg. On days without the PT visit, he upped my exercises to 7 times a day. It's taking me about 2 1/2 hours to complete everything trying to space it throughout the day. Still limited to patella movement, thigh contractions and thing drops off of my counter. I am trying to add a bit more pressure downward on the knee hangs when I get to the 10 count, holding it for a minute or more. Not sure if I've noticed any increase in ROM thus far this weekend. I'll ask him about heel slides at home tomorrow. He was going to allow 30 degrees bend when seated but the brace (DonJoy) wasn't locking properly so he dialed it back to 0 for this weekend. Hopefully he gets to fix it tomorrow. Also, was instructed to use one crutch now. No, problem with it aside from the occasional knee internal clicking when warming up for 5 minutes. Think I read this is somewhat normal.

Anyone remember their week 5? Any progress made - 75 ROM? I know that reaching 90 is a challenge to some and everyone is different due to a number of factors.

I went 31 days without alcohol. Had two beers on Saturday and stopped after that. Certainly don't want it to impair my crutch walking. Seems like it's going to be months before I'll be comfortable having more than 1 or 2. Protect the leg!!

JohnG46 it sounds like you are in good hands. Don't get discouraged because every day gets better....week 5 for me was my first week of active PT and I thought it was a bid deal when they were able to get a tiny roller under my knee!

I replicate at home what I do at PT: leg raises, calf raises, using leg and hip addictions, heel slides, standing on injured leg w/o the brace 30 seconds at a time, and allowing my leg to hang and have gravity pull it. Also up and down stairs and a little walking outside.

I decline all drinks now because I am still afraid of re-injuring myself....for now...

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
4 weeks 2 days Post Op

At four weeks all I had was straight leg lifts. No RoM exercises or anything else. I felt like I should have been in therapy but and hinted that I was ready.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
One thing I have read repeatedly in the blog is that each OS and PT goes about things in a unique way for each patient. My OS is pretty conservative, probably because of my age! In the end I followed his directions.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Had my 6 month check up with my OS today. She was happy with the ROM and strength gain and has pretty much released me from treatment and formal PT outside the home.

Still have to stick to the home routine, but at least I know its working.

What a relief.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
Congratulations Buffalo87! I am jealous...can't wait to get to that point. Today they added one more PT session per week ( from 2x to 3x per week) to work on getting the ROM advanced. Up to 63 degrees today and they think they can accelerate it with the addition of another day. The area of pain has moved from the sides of the knee to under the knee. New exercise too...they have me lay on my stomach and they work to bend the knee....

Anyway forward movements!

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier
Congratulations Buffalo87! I am jealous...can't wait to get to that point. Today they added one more PT session per week ( from 2x to 3x per week) to work on getting the ROM advanced. Up to 63 degrees today and they think they can accelerate it with the addition of another day. The area of pain has moved from the sides of the knee to under the knee. New exercise too...they have me lay on my stomach and they work to bend the knee....

Anyway forward movements!

Zukes, one thing you'll notice is that the pain/discomfort will travel all over the knee capsule. One day it's the top, the next day it's the patellar region, then it's the sides. Totally normal. It's major freaking surgery and you have to remind yourself that you are basically reprogramming how your head and body interacts with your knee joint. It's a complete reality check.

Stick with the PT and you will return to normal. Gotta take it day by day and week by week and take satisfaction in everyday stuff - tying your shoes, taking a shower, getting up and down stairs. It all gets easier.

At 8 weeks I was not-so-delicately informed that my ROM wasn't where it should be and there was a very veiled threat of MUA. Wasn't my fault. My PT guy wasn't familiar with the injury and wasn't aggressive enough.

Well, that changed in a hurry. PT got -shall we say - intensified , and the gains started coming.

You'll get there.

Beni smith

Booting up
Skier
HELP . 14 weeks and today was the first time I ran . I ran with a limp . Did anyone else limp while they were running. It was downhill then uphill then it leveled off 1/2 mile outside. Then I went inside to run on the treadmill which seemed a little better. The PT said I still baby my leg(which I do) and that's why I'm limping she told me not to think about it. STARTING TOMORROW IM NO LONGER GOING TO BABY MY LEG.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
HELP . 14 weeks and today was the first time I ran . I ran with a limp . Did anyone else limp while they were running. It was downhill then uphill then it leveled off 1/2 mile outside. Then I went inside to run on the treadmill which seemed a little better. The PT said I still baby my leg(which I do) and that's why I'm limping she told me not to think about it. STARTING TOMORROW IM NO LONGER GOING TO BABY MY LEG.

Have you been biking, though? That's a more gentle way of regaining strength and confidence, perhaps? Cheers!

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier

I ran until I started limping a lot which wasn't far. My leg felt like a partially deflated basketball when you dropped it. Very little bounce. Light plyometrics and agilities helped.

Buffalo87

Booting up
Skier

Beni there's a difference between "babying" your leg and doing too much, too soon. I wouldn't be doing any running for a while . Doesn't mean you take it easy though - between biking, lunges, squats, wall sits et.al., you can challenge your leg plenty. I just don't think running this early is a great idea.

With this injury you need to - literally - walk before you run. I'm 6 months out and running still isn't in my repertoire. I'm focusing on getting that last couple ROM degrees and getting my strength back.

davkt

Booting up
Skier
13 weeks today and another load of physio, turns out the reason my knee is still very unstable is my vastus medialis muscle is delayed in firing when my leg straitens, basically just down to the fact it is still very wasted as the squats and leg flexes and raises haven't used it. Now have a load of exercises to fix that and am cleared for the gym for leg presses and curls and the likes and to get on my bike on the turbo trainer, instructions for both are to listen to my leg in how much I do, push it so I know it is being worked but if I'm chewing on the bike handlebars to cope or my leg is turning to jelly on the gym machines back off!
For me the hypermobility I've always had in my joints means ROM isn't too much of a worry, the physio said at the first session I was beyond where most people with this injury would be (the 120 in the brace was restricting me, his expectation before seeing me is I'd have 60 to 90 and would be working for 120. It keeps getting better and I expect it will bend so my heel touches my buttocks in the next few weeks.

Zukes243

Booting up
Skier
13 weeks today and another load of physio, turns out the reason my knee is still very unstable is my vastus medialis muscle is delayed in firing when my leg straitens, basically just down to the fact it is still very wasted as the squats and leg flexes and raises haven't used it. Now have a load of exercises to fix that and am cleared for the gym for leg presses and curls and the likes and to get on my bike on the turbo trainer, instructions for both are to listen to my leg in how much I do, push it so I know it is being worked but if I'm chewing on the bike handlebars to cope or my leg is turning to jelly on the gym machines back off!
For me the hypermobility I've always had in my joints means ROM isn't too much of a worry, the physio said at the first session I was beyond where most people with this injury would be (the 120 in the brace was restricting me, his expectation before seeing me is I'd have 60 to 90 and would be working for 120. It keeps getting better and I expect it will bend so my heel touches my buttocks in the next few weeks.
10 weeks PO myself and struggling a little to get the ROM. At 90 degrees today and they put me on the bike! I have a Spin bike at home too so it was great to get on it today. Still can't do a full rotation but I am sure that will come, backwards first! Also got the OK to not use the brace at home. PT getting painful as they work to increase the ROM. Using the weights on some modified squats that seem to be helping.

When I got home I took off the brace. Now I'm scared to death! Hope that fear goes away!

davkt

Booting up
Skier
It is scary being without the brace isn't it? Yep it goes pretty quickly and is replaced with caution. I'm feeling very pleased with myself as I managed from getting up to 6pm without it today, easily the longest I have managed, according to my Garmin Vivoactive HR 5 and a bit thousand steps without the brace (but with 2 crutches, at the moment I seem to need 2 from 3 of 2 crutches and a leg brace) and 3K with it today.

Sponsor

Staff online