• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Purgatory does not suck

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
People crap on Purg but it is a great ski resort. Plenty of awesome terrain if you know where to look and those rollers can make for some fun jumps at speed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Never been. I need to get there.

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Purg is celebrating it's 50th year and the new owner jumped on replacing the back side chair 8 to a high speed quad. Now rather than an almost twenty minute ride, it'll be 5 or 10. Better exposure and snow, along with the Maze for fun trees and runs with OK vertical without crisscrossing traffic. The front is a cluster cuss of criss crossing trails and cat tracks which funnels to the base. There is zero lift lines and open skiing during the week. Overall, there's a better vibe, now that the owner is a passionate skier and not in it for the real estate.

Due to the fact you have to traverse all around the mountain, prompting the nickname Traversatory and a friend had a bumper sticker made which reads: "Purgatory...We have AWESOME Horizontal"

It's a great place to learn about optimal glide and waxing! The eye candy alone is worth getting out of bed and not bad for a 'neighborhood' ski area.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Can't wait to ski it. Plan to be there as part of my 30th year-on-the-planet, dirtbag ski safari through SW Colorado: Monarch -> Wolf -> Purg -> Silverton? -> Powderhorn

If there is a good place to read up on terrain / do's / don'ts / timing, I'd love to know about it.

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't wait to ski it. Plan to be there as part of my 30th year-on-the-planet, dirtbag ski safari through SW Colorado: Monarch -> Wolf -> Purg -> Silverton? -> Powderhorn

If there is a good place to read up on terrain / do's / don'ts / timing, I'd love to know about it.

BC terrain or Ski Area terrain? If you are touring the SW & San Juans, add Telluride to your list. The most snow tends to happen February thru March and April, but you never know. One year it snowed over a hundred inches in a week. Other times it can be a drought. It can be warmer than central and northern Colorado so the snow can transform and we have 30 degree temperature swings every day with lots of sunshine. This year, El Nino is supposed to track south and maybe even Taos or Flagstaff are worth considering if you are chasing snow.

Any questions, just ask.

To be clear on this thread, it was tongue in cheek about early season skiing. The conditions are decent but still thin. Purgatory is vertically challenged compared to other areas. Wolf Creek is too, though it gets tons of snow. Both can get old if you are expecting great terrain and vertical. Telluride, Silverton & the San Juans offer great options with spectacular scenery.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The trick to skiing Purg is to not traverse. Pick a lift and stick with it, Chair 8 is my recommendation. If you try to ski between the lifts it eats up a ton of time.

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy 50th birthday Purgatory weekend! Good friends, sunny day, backside opened, low crowds, great views and SKA's new 50 year commemorative Pilsner. This place will spoil you, especially during the week.

Rumor has it that more than 2 1/2 times past amount of water was used for snowmaking. I definitely have mixed feelings on this. It has been several years since daily skiing has been available early season. Hats off to the new owner and hope his actions succeed. The new Legends high speed chair 8 grand opening is Dec 19th. Hopefully, there'll be more natural snow by then.

Best quotes from the weekend:
From a friend: "Corduroy is my favorite fabric."
On Ski Barn's marquee: "El Nino 2016. It's too big to fail!."

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier

That sounds like my kind of trip. You will have a blast and get to see the prettiest part of the state to boot.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
That sounds like my kind of trip. You will have a blast and get to see the prettiest part of the state to boot.

Yep. I'm pretty stoked for it. Testing the van winter camping setup this weekend, although I'll also have a pad to crash at in Durango. Need to migrate my planning thread from Epic over to here. Haven't been down to SW Co yet either.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We got good snow, probably 12-18" per day the Spring Break that my friend and I skied there. +1 to skiing vert more than traversing a lot..

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
We got good snow, probably 12-18" per day the Spring Break that my friend and I skied there. +1 to skiing vert more than traversing a lot..

One year it snowed over 100 inches around the end of February/early March. We went cat skiing across the valley and at the top of the first run I stuck my pole in full length up to my shoulder and did not hit bottom = true bottomless powder! We had to find the steepest stuff around in the old growth trees so we could generate enough speed to make turns, avoid avalanche areas and for visibility it was nuking so hard. Talk about a memorable day!

TS
SlideWright

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding the Grand Opening of the new Legends (Lift 8) high speed quad, Saturday, below is a portion of the new trail map. The 'midway' loading is gone and a new Legends feeder trail extension meanders west of the lift and across the last pitch of Ray's which was among the only top to bottom trails on the back without much crossing traffic and has the most vertical. Definitely a bummer but a net positive trade off. Before if you skied the last pitch of anything below the Legends feeder trail, including the Maze and ended up at the bottom, you had to alternate chairs to allow for the midway loading. On a powder day, this really sucked. There are also a couple new trail cuts between Boudreaux's and Ray's:

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 8.45.47 AM.png

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
This is the story we did on Purgatory from a couple of years ago. These will add a little flavor to this thread:

Last edited:

Sponsor