• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski Strava Club

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I don't know, maybe we just have a lot of options here that don't exist elsewhere. Maybe the rides here are better at letting people know what to expect. glad you joined.

BTW - old saying around the bike shop "it isn't a group ride until somebody is bitching about the pace" - this dynamic existed long before strava.

This is why I don't do group rides! (well, one of the many reasons actually)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is why I don't do group rides! (well, one of the many reasons actually)

I'm no fan of Strava, but I find that a good group ride is one of the very best aspects of cycling!

And there are so many categories of "group" rides. Tear each other's legs off, buddy, wife and dog, etc., etc.. I enjoy them all, as well as solo rides.

Example: We're on a little vacation to Bend right now (amazing combination of easy, yet fun, trails, in general). Yesterday, I rolled up 45 miles of riding that combined some brisk solo stuff, some time with my wife, then a bonus hour with two friends that we ran into on the trails (had lost touch with them 8 years ago). To cap it off, we arrived back at the house ONE minute before the skies opened up with a vengeance. Tough day to beat!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'm no fan of Strava, but I find that a good group ride is one of the very best aspects of cycling!

And there are so many categories of "group" rides. Tear each other's legs off, buddy, wife and dog, etc., etc.. I enjoy them all, as well as solo rides.

Example: We're on a little vacation to Bend right now (amazing combination of easy, yet fun, trails, in general). Yesterday, I rolled up 45 miles of riding that combined some brisk solo stuff, some time with my wife, then a bonus hour with two friends that we ran into on the trails (had lost touch with them 8 years ago). To cap it off, we arrived back at the house ONE minute before the skies opened up with a vengeance. Tough day to beat!

It's the 'people' part of being a people person that I have trouble with... ;) :popcorn:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's the 'people' part of being a people person that I have trouble with... ;) :popcorn:
If you could go on a group ride with a pack of Ziggy's........that's your kind of group, eh?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Joined. I use Strava to track my rides. Since I'm use to being at the tail end, don't really think about my ranking/standing.

The joy is all about feeling the wind on my face.

hahah you climb like a crazy person.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hahah you climb like a crazy person.

I'm so envious of those of you who live near ski areas. But I am at an advantage during off season. I live on a hill which I hated... Until I realized I can have very efficient workout right outside my door without driving anywhere!

Strava over-estimates some of my rides by as much as 30% vertical. Am I less crazy now?:wave:

The impetus must have been from the Highland Bowl hike at the gathering and being dead last...:crash:

And my other half climbs twice as much as I on his bike.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
ha whats funny is Ill ride with people both running strava and I ll have like 10-25 percent less climbing then them for doing the same ride.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
ha whats funny is Ill ride with people both running strava and I ll have like 10-25 percent less climbing then them for doing the same ride.

It matters what device and how the device measures elevation. Garmins typically use barometric pressure vs. actual GPS in the device to calculate. So, if you have a mix of devices you will get a mix of results. Kind of like using a speed sensor w/o adjusting for actual wheel.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
None of my rides seem easy! I hate grinding away up a hill out in the bush somewhere and I'm so slow that I can't outride the flies that are biting my ass off!! Like, seriously? Man I'm old and fat..
You know what? You are out there. Celebrate the fact that you are out there! Who gives a rats' ass if you are slow. You are ALIVE and out there working to stay healthy and fit. That's ALL that matters.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've joined but I have to say, my ride activities are going to be pretty limited and boring! :) The infant son is killing my leisure time!! :D

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You know what? You are out there. Celebrate the fact that you are out there! Who gives a rats' ass if you are slow. You are ALIVE and out there working to stay healthy and fit. That's ALL that matters.

Thanks Amy! :) That's my plan. Cheers!:beercheer:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
image.png
I haven't ridden in a year.
Thanks for starting this group, it jump started me
Don't laugh at my ride. It's s start

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_3498.JPG

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I don't really ride in groups. Timing is really hard and so is skill level and pace. I have limited time so i go do my thing and get out. I hate waiting at the top of climbs as much as I hate being the cause of someone waiting..
That's too bad.
Riding with others can be so rewarding.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's too bad.
Riding with others can be so rewarding.
I like riding with someone, but not necessarily a group ride.
The last time I rode alone, it didn't end well.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Yesterday I gathered together three riding buddies, and we had a nice little 25 mile ride, then sat out on the patio and had a couple of cold ones.
It was just a great way to end a day!
Small groups of compatible riders are ideal.

Sponsor

Staff online