• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski Strava Club

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yeah -- living in Boulder, ever getting anywhere near the top of any leaderboard is never going to happen, so I used Strava just for me from the beginning. :) It's nice for seeing improvement (or not ;) ) year over year, or just having a general idea of how much you got out this summer, etc etc etc. I also really like to see what my friends are getting out and doing, because my friends do some pretty good rides.

That's a fact for sure in Boulder County! Heading up to Gold Hill via Sunset and up the Switzerland Trail, you're as likely to get over taken by any number of pro women's or men's team riders training! Not to mention the caliber of the 'just locals' pool of cyclists :D
Favorite cycling mecca location!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find most people who do not like strava are actually afraid in seeing how slow they are.

Funny. I find that most people who obsess on Strava are much slower than they think they are, needing to turn fun rides into races, but never entering an actual race.

Maybe an east coast/west coast dichotomy?

I could actually see it being fun with this group, but I will probably remain a "ghost".

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm trying to search for Pugski on my Strava app but can't find it. I'll join. I like running Strava to track my speed to see how I'm improving throughout the season.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay so this is (probably) going to sound stupid, but I've never looked into Strava.
I'd like to know more about it and get on board. Perhaps this will motivate me to get on the bike more.

I'm guessing that I get the app and turn it on on my phone when I ride??
Will I need a fitbit or apple watch or something like that?

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Funny. I find that most people who obsess on Strava are much slower than they think they are, needing to turn fun rides into races, but never entering an actual race.

I could actually see it being fun with this group, but I will probably remain a "ghost".

Not singling you out but I always hear this "strava turns fun rides into races" - but nobody ever has explained to me how somebody else can make you pedal your bike harder than you want to? Do you ride a tandem and the stoker is a strava freak? if so, I get it. If not, let them go. It's really easy.

I kinda know how a group ride is going to shake out by the folks milling around prior to the start. I make my choice as to how I hard I want to ride by how I feel. I saw a bunch of masters road racers that are headed to nationals this AM, figured out pretty quickly that the front would a bit uncomfortable and not be "fun" - so rode in the second pack. Sat up a little just before the climb to grab something to drink and eat - but we all regroup at top. No big deal - I pedal my bike they pedal theirs.

In the end join or not is up to you. I thought if we joined we could see each others ride - but I guess we have to be following each other too. oh well.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Okay so this is (probably) going to sound stupid, but I've never looked into Strava.
I'd like to know more about it and get on board. Perhaps this will motivate me to get on the bike more.

I'm guessing that I get the app and turn it on on my phone when I ride??
Will I need a fitbit or apple watch or something like that?

Strava app or www.strava.com and link to a device that you would upload a ride from ie. garmin, srm pc8, the website has a list of compatible devices. But yes - easy peasy on a phone w/ app.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Josh, can you upload our square logo for the club on Strava?
I'd be happy to provide you with the hi-res of it if you need it.
Pugski logo sq3.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't really ride in groups. Timing is really hard and so is skill level and pace. I have limited time so i go do my thing and get out. I hate waiting at the top of climbs as much as I hate being the cause of someone waiting..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Not singling you out but I always hear this "strava turns fun rides into races" - but nobody ever has explained to me how somebody else can make you pedal your bike harder than you want to? Do you ride a tandem and the stoker is a strava freak? if so, I get it. If not, let them go. It's really easy.

I kinda know how a group ride is going to shake out by the folks milling around prior to the start. I make my choice as to how I hard I want to ride by how I feel. I saw a bunch of masters road racers that are headed to nationals this AM, figured out pretty quickly that the front would a bit uncomfortable and not be "fun" - so rode in the second pack. Sat up a little just before the climb to grab something to drink and eat - but we all regroup at top. No big deal - I pedal my bike they pedal theirs.

In the end join or not is up to you. I thought if we joined we could see each others ride - but I guess we have to be following each other too. oh well.

Instinctive competition. If someone passes you, you want to pass them.

Just as serious, a reason for keeping up is that riding with a group is easier with drafting. Plus if you are on a long ride, you may not want to be left behind for the security of riding in numbers.

So others can amp up their 'fun' ride with Strava thus dragging along at a race pace those that don't want to race but don't want to be left off the pack, either.

I don't ride with groups anymore. When I raced mt. bikes in ME, I'd go on the team rides and as I was racing, the competition was nice and fun. Now that I don't race, going out with guys that push just for the sake of leading isn't fun. I ride with guys that are fine with waiting or I ride alone. Fortunately I've only hooked up with laid back riders, so 'race paces' haven't been an issue.

I signed up. Now to actually get on my bike. ;)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
see no one knows that I spend almost my ride time with my dogs or Diane I will be dead last in the mileage department.

Trekchick Pugski.com logo posted.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Instinctive competition. If someone passes you, you want to pass them.

Just as serious, a reason for keeping up is that riding with a group is easier with drafting. Plus if you are on a long ride, you may not want to be left behind for the security of riding in numbers.

So others can amp up their 'fun' ride with Strava thus dragging along at a race pace those that don't want to race but don't want to be left off the pack, either.

I don't ride with groups anymore. When I raced mt. bikes in ME, I'd go on the team rides and as I was racing, the competition was nice and fun. Now that I don't race, going out with guys that push just for the sake of leading isn't fun. I ride with guys that are fine with waiting or I ride alone. Fortunately I've only hooked up with laid back riders, so 'race paces' haven't been an issue.

I signed up. Now to actually get on my bike. ;)

I don't know, maybe we just have a lot of options here that don't exist elsewhere. Maybe the rides here are better at letting people know what to expect. glad you joined.

BTW - old saying around the bike shop "it isn't a group ride until somebody is bitching about the pace" - this dynamic existed long before strava.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe its about keeping up the Pugski.com stoke in the off season. :D

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

well obsessing and using are different things. I also NEVER go for segments on groups rides, heck to be honest besides some downhill segments on my locals trails I almost never actually go balls out for segments anymore. Last time I did was to beat Epic on his own trail :P https://www.strava.com/segments/5373721

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like following friends on Strava for one of the reasons mentioned by the OP: learning about places to ride. Not that I'll necessarily go do the rides but they often get me to explore an area, if only by Internet, I wouldn't explore otherwise.

My times vary a bit and I am often surprised by my better times. They feel easier than the slower ones. That probably has to do with the efficiency/groove factor.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
None of my rides seem easy! I hate grinding away up a hill out in the bush somewhere and I'm so slow that I can't outride the flies that are biting my ass off!! Like, seriously? Man I'm old and fat..

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
well obsessing and using are different things. I also NEVER go for segments on groups rides, heck to be honest besides some downhill segments on my locals trails I almost never actually go balls out for segments anymore. Last time I did was to beat Epic on his own trail :P https://www.strava.com/segments/5373721

I think he's just reacting to what you said previously:

"I find most people who do not like strava are actually afraid in seeing how slow they are."

Which, yeah, sounds obsessive.

Sponsor