• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski Strava Club

Royal

UTAH
Skier
when ever I hear Strava, I think Stravasshole.:D seriously, I think it takes a lot of the joy out of the ride.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ill join.

It takes the joy out of the ride if you constantly try to KOM/PR everything. I pretty much use just to keep track off mileage and 50 dollars wireless GPS is far better deal for 3+ bikes its far easier to have one of those than lots of bike computers.

I find most people who do not like strava are actually afraid in seeing how slow they are.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Ill join.

It takes the joy out of the ride if you constantly try to KOM/PR everything. I pretty much use just to keep track off mileage and 50 dollars wireless GPS is far better deal for 3+ bikes its far easier to have one of those than lots of bike computers.

I find most people who do not like strava are actually afraid in seeing how slow they are.

How about 'don't care' how slow they are?!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
probably true the reality the majority of time I am just using the GPS as odometer that happens to know where I have been. if your out to crush every ride because of strava then yeah it would kind of suck.....

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Ill join.

Totally agree Josh and that was the intent.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Fast enough to get some exercise and have fun is good enough for me. That said I have a GPS and a power meter on my road bike...basically they display pretty numbers probably will sell that bike anyway go back to my old school ti bike when I'm road riding which isn't much these days

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I guess I got called an asshole in the second post. Interesting the polarizing nature of essentially a social media platform on wait for it............a social media platform.

First, I don't work for Strava. Now that's out of the way, yes, there are some wankers that hunt KOM's on obscure, shitty segments around here and then spray about it on every platform they can - we know them and don't usually invite them on rides. But for the the most part every KOM is either been set by a wanker that grabbed some buddies to set it, unknowingly set in a hammerfest group ride or by a pro continental rider as many of them are coached and trained here in the G-ville, Asheville, CLT triangle - no big deal. assume that situation would translate to Boulder/Front Range too.

My main reason for asking if there was interest was that there are a bunch of regions represented and I, personally, like to see other routes, etc. as I travel with my bike some in the Summer. If having your rides posted isn't your jam, no problem - don't join.

PR's I don't usually try for them - except on a couple of hills here and there and certainly doesn't take away from a ride with friends as we all regroup at the top anyway. But why wouldn't anyone that rides a significant amount want to see if they are making fitness gains. as long as it doesn't interfere with the overall activity.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
I joined up too. Guess that answers my question of whether I should ride tomorrow. :D It'll be a road ride though. I need to install new seals on my mtb fork. Been so preoccupied with skiing the past six months that I haven't really touched my bikes. A few trainer rides and a couple slooooow rides as spring ramped up, but I'm badly out of shape right now.

It's fun seeing all the pro riders on Strava around here. A few from the area, but a lot also come through for the Tour of California. Peter Sagan is up in Tahoe training with his brother, and Laurens Ten Dam just crushed a local hill climb for his training. His time was 28 minutes, with 2nd place 32 minutes and the rest after that. :eek:

Last edited:

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Joined too. I won't impress anyone with my rides but that's ok with me. I figure it's all in good fun.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I guess I got called an asshole in the second post. Interesting the polarizing nature of essentially a social media platform on wait for it............a social media platform.

First, I don't work for Strava. Now that's out of the way, yes, there are some wankers that hunt KOM's on obscure, shitty segments around here and then spray about it on every platform they can - we know them and don't usually invite them on rides. But for the the most part every KOM is either been set by a wanker that grabbed some buddies to set it, unknowingly set in a hammerfest group ride or by a pro continental rider as many of them are coached and trained here in the G-ville, Asheville, CLT triangle - no big deal. assume that situation would translate to Boulder/Front Range too.

My main reason for asking if there was interest was that there are a bunch of regions represented and I, personally, like to see other routes, etc. as I travel with my bike some in the Summer. If having your rides posted isn't your jam, no problem - don't join.

PR's I don't usually try for them - except on a couple of hills here and there and certainly doesn't take away from a ride with friends as we all regroup at the top anyway. But why wouldn't anyone that rides a significant amount want to see if they are making fitness gains. as long as it doesn't interfere with the overall activity.

I think you are missing the point. Now granted I only make time for around 3k miles a year, and have been doing about that for 40 years give or take. But even that is just an averaging assumption. I don't keep a log, have zero equipment on any of my bike to record even mileage, hell I don't even know if I ride 2 hours or 3 most of the time. It simply doesn't matter to me. I ride when I want, to have fun, simply to be outdoors, get some exercise, enjoy the equipment and the rural scenery. This is pretty much how skiing is for me too...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
looks like ill have actually start stravaing every ride, but I still never compete in overal mileage since even my road rides are dirt.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @Gaby and @Luvbug (who are doing a Triathlon in Texas now). I am putting my money on them on the road portion and @Josh Matta for the mountain bike portion of this segment. Lets have 9/30/16 being the finals. The winner, most miles (can we seperate road and trail?) gets a Pugski vest, second place gets a hat.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Joined. I use Strava to track my rides. Since I'm use to being at the tail end, don't really think about my ranking/standing.

The joy is all about feeling the wind on my face.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I think you are missing the point. Now granted I only make time for around 3k miles a year, and have been doing about that for 40 years give or take. But even that is just an averaging assumption. I don't keep a log, have zero equipment on any of my bike to record even mileage, hell I don't even know if I ride 2 hours or 3 most of the time. It simply doesn't matter to me. I ride when I want, to have fun, simply to be outdoors, get some exercise, enjoy the equipment and the rural scenery. This is pretty much how skiing is for me too...

^ not really missing the point - Strava and those objectives bolded above are not mutually exclusive. If you like what you like - then fine by me - who am I to tell you how to ride your bike. Strava is an "opt in" deal anyway

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
^ not really missing the point - Strava and those objectives bolded above are not mutually exclusive. If you like what you like - then fine by me - who am I to tell you how to ride your bike. Strava is an "opt in" deal anyway

Yeah -- living in Boulder, ever getting anywhere near the top of any leaderboard is never going to happen, so I used Strava just for me from the beginning. :) It's nice for seeing improvement (or not ;) ) year over year, or just having a general idea of how much you got out this summer, etc etc etc. I also really like to see what my friends are getting out and doing, because my friends do some pretty good rides.

Sponsor

Staff online