• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski screen names

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier
I find it an interesting conversation.
Try as I may, I still can't think of a reason to not use at least your first name.

The possibility that a ski area would deny a season pass purchase because of something written seems to me at least as insane.
I'm fairly 'unfiltered' and wouldn't have it any other way, be it in person or online...

Actually,..... A couple of years ago Whistler got into the habit of sacking ANY employee it caught being critical of snow conditions there on ANY form of social media so they lost not only their jobs, but season passes as well,.... Plus season accomodations into the bargain. Conditions at the time were horrible in reality, but the marketing spin machine told an entirely different story.

It does happen.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have NEVER used a pseudonym on the internet. I figure those who do lack maturity and confidence in their convictions, so I consider their postings with those grains of salt.

Thanks for that vote of confidence, Kneale.
Actually, I suspect you don't really think this of me and most of the others who choose to hold onto their happy anonymity.
I like the name LiquidFeet. I came up with it. Isn't that enough?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
You mean there is money in it?
Congress just allowed ISP's to sell your browsing history. ISP's usually have personal privacy policies so it's "annoymous". Other companies are making it a business to connect the dots. So the future is paying a service for information on someone. Like take a screen name and connect it with a real name, real identity. The potential for abuse is huge. Saying there's "nothing to hide" misses the point really as stuff taken out of context by someone for some agenda could have actual consequences.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Congress just allowed ISP's to sell your browsing history. ISP's usually have personal privacy policies so it's "annoymous". Other companies are making it a business to connect the dots. So the future is paying a service for information on someone. Like take a screen name and connect it with a real name, real identity. The potential for abuse is huge. Saying there's "nothing to hide" misses the point really as stuff taken out of context by someone for some agenda could have actual consequences.

That sounds GREAT. Very reassuring. Wow.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

It's ALL in Utah, anyone who thinks the 'dots are not already connected' is naïve. The Utah Data Center, aka the Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Data Center. It will continue to get worse...
dc.jpg

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, Congress may have "just " voted to allow it but the ads that pop up on my phone , tablet, and laptop suggest that cat's been out of the bag for awhile! Google loves me!

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I have NEVER used a pseudonym on the internet. I figure those who do lack maturity and confidence in their convictions, so I consider their postings with those grains of salt.

The sincerity behind a member is not validated by their screen name, but by the history of their contributions to the forum. Accountability comes through moderation. Knowing members personally can provide some level of transparency, but that can restrict the flow of an open discussion as much as it can promote it.

Given the ever increasing value of our digital footprint, I don't blame anyone for wishing to minimize their online exposure.

Sponsor

Staff online