• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski screen names

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still use the old ski name, the real I do share with a select group (some of you are already inluded), unfortunately I've been online far to long to know the risk of sharing to much openly, so please forgive the hidden open name.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One screen name is pretty familiar to most here; the other screen name is one I use more often on non-skiing forums. The Leedom helmet with KH sticker at right is one I wore for years, including several get togethers and academies.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we ought to use handles all the time. It would make it much easier to remember who you just met at a party!

Last year at hte Gathering people called me "mdf" and "John" (which is not my name, by the way). There are way too many "Mike"s in the world.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One screen name is pretty familiar to most here; the other screen name is one I use more often on non-skiing forums. The Leedom helmet with KH sticker at right is one I wore for years, including several get togethers and academies.
I still call you Comprex. :0

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This keeps going through my head when I see this thread,

"Her name was McGill, and she called herself Lil,
But everyone knew her as Nancy."

Or the Firesign Theater version,

CATHERWOOD: Ms. Haber?
NICK DANGER: Audrey Farber
CATHERWOOD: Audrey Faber?
NICK DANGER: How about Betty Jo Bialosky?
CATHERWOOD: Oh! You mean Nancy!!

It turns out Betty Jo is on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/betty.bioloski
I never realized she went to More Science High!

Last edited:
TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I still use the old ski name, the real I do share with a select group (some of you are already inluded), unfortunately I've been online far to long to know the risk of sharing to much openly, so please forgive the hidden open name.

what would you possibly 'share openly' on a ski forum that would pose a 'risk'? your bsl? :0

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd like to bump this thread as we grow with the changes in the community over the past month.

While I understand why some members enjoy the anonymity of a username and appreciate that, and I've enjoyed a tremendous amount of quality discussion from some of these members, I'm a little concerned about some recent trolling from a few who can hide behind a screen name.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Apparently I missed something, darn it, I always do. Must have been in a technique forum.

The problem for me is, the locals here don't want Whitefish getting any more popular. If they knew one of their own (or worse yet, some former NJ touron) was encouraging more visitors, that wouldn't earn me any friends. They'd be friendly to the visitors, but I'd be a traitor to some of them. In addition to which, and on the flip side, if I was saying something too negative, I might piss off management, and frankly there just is no other ski area here I can change to. Montana Snowbowl got in a snit with one of their long time passholders and refused to sell him a pass. I can't picture that here, but it's not always going to be the same management. And since my main contribution frequently is resort information, good or bad, the honesty would stop. I've taken plenty of heat from my own family about generating more visitors. The three or four friends who know are people I know don't find it a problem. But it would be a problem for MANY. Hence the screen name.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I have NEVER used a pseudonym on the internet. I figure those who do lack maturity and confidence in their convictions, so I consider their postings with those grains of salt.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have NEVER used a pseudonym on the internet. I figure those who do lack maturity and confidence in their convictions, so I consider their postings with those grains of salt.

Kneale, that may be fine when you only work in the Industry, but, for myself, with a separate professional life and a Business brand with my name on it that is normally working at Senior Executive level, it is only sensible to keep professional and personal separate.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I find it an interesting conversation.
Try as I may, I still can't think of a reason to not use at least your first name.

The possibility that a ski area would deny a season pass purchase because of something written seems to me at least as insane.
I'm fairly 'unfiltered' and wouldn't have it any other way, be it in person or online...

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I use my handle because I used it on Epic and people here can identify my posts as coming from the same person. I used it on Epic because it was the first time I'd ever used an internet forum and I didn't understand what it was asking as I made up my user profile. You couldn't change your name afterwards, I wasn't interested in making the effort to figure out how or to contact a moderator about it, and I didn't care that much about the issue. To call me immature is pretty insulting. My name is Phil Heft. Write it down somewhere so you can refer to it when you read my posts.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not concerned about anonymity, I just like memorable screen names! (Kind of ironic since I don't really have one.) A lot of us use screen names, or part of one, in conversation at Gatherings.

I have my contact list on my phone sorted by screen name, too.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've always used surfsnowgirl because I love the snow and I surf so it seems perfect. I've had this screen name in some fashion or another for a very long time. Anyone who knows me knows my name is Kim and chances are if you see surfsnowgirl online somewhere there's a good chance it's me so at least I'm consistent. I think I've got my real name on my linked in profile but I insist on my profile pic being a fun picture with my Jeep or a ski related photo. I even use my surfsnowgirl email for professional purposes also because so if some financial services firm doesn't want to hire me because my email address is unprofessional then I don't want to work for them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kneale, that may be fine when you only work in the Industry, but, for myself, with a separate professional life and a Business brand with my name on it that is normally working at Senior Executive level, it is only sensible to keep professional and personal separate.
I respect that and understand why a few members have the same strategy. As I said in my bump post, I have thoroughly enjoyed the participation of many who, for professional reasons, have chosen to use a screen name and I would hate to miss out on that content if we enforced actual names.

The only reason I bumped this thread is because we've recently had some trolling by members who have interesting usernames.
Sadly, because of this, it will raise a red flag for me when members sign on with a username instead of a version of their actual name.

So, by all means, @ScotsSkier @Muleski @Mendieta @Freaq @LiquidFeet, please keep posting. Its screen name users like you who are raising the bar.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Tricia! And yes, most posters here know my real name and even if they don't it is not hard to join the dots and find it!

Sponsor

Staff online