• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski screen names

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I am encouraging folks to use their actual names here @ Pugski. I think it is part of the feel that Phil and Tricia are trying to create here.
They want to take it to the next level where screen names are not needed as we are surrounded by friends. It also makes things easier to deal with as we most certainly will be skiing with other members. It would also be great if you would include where you are and what areas you ski most often. This helps with others understanding your perspective on skis, conditions, etc.

So click in and lets make this site all that it can be!

@Philpug, @ Tricia, if you want to add to this, jump right off the cornice...

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am encouraging folks to use their actual names here @ Pugski. I think it is part of the feel that Phil and Tricia are trying to create here.
They want to take it to the next level where screen names are not needed as we are surrounded by friends. It also makes things easier to deal with as we most certainly will be skiing with other members. It would also be great if you would include where you are and what areas you ski most often. This helps with others understanding your perspective on skis, conditions, etc.

So click in and lets make this site all that it can be!

@Philpug, @ Tricia, if you want to add to this, jump right off the cornice...
You are correct, we are encouraging members to use their name or a "version" of their name, in the interest of transparency and developing relationships.
We do, however, understand that there are those who have jobs in the world (unrelated to the ski industry) where their privacy is important and we respect those who select a creative username and welcome them into the community, and encourage them to participate.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bill,

We agree 100%. When the site opens in it's Beta form, there will be this message about setting up your profile that they will have to agree to before logging on:

Please read before setting up your user profile:

Pugski is a community that welcomes skiing enthusiasts along with skiing professionals. We understand that you might want to use a creative handle for anonymity, but we strongly suggest using your real name or a variation thereof. Skiing professionals -- including instructors, industry insiders, manufacturers, and retailers -- may put their affiliations in the "custom title" field. Following these guidelines will increase both accountability and credibility. We won't require it, but we do believe it will be best for the community.

Skiing enthusiasts may use the “custom title” field to show user names or handles from other online communities. In the user profile, we encourage you to complete the fields for gender and date of birth. Manufacturers will be accessing the community for focus groups and market research, opportunities for you to share your opinions. Who knows, you might help decide the next hot ski!

Thank You,
Phil, Tricia and the Pugski Team
While we cannot enforce it, we understand if they cannot. Considering that a good amount of members can and do post from work.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should have read this first, but at least I used a real picture as an avatar.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I agree about using real names. Hopefully we can avoid some trolls that way.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand the need/want for "real" names, but for my personal & professional privacy, I do use SkiNurse for many things, not just forums. There are certain people, again, professional & personally, I do not want them to be able to "search" for me by my real name. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I understand the need/want for "real" names, but for my personal & professional privacy, I do use SkiNurse for many things, not just forums. There are certain people, again, professional & personally, I do not want them to be able to "search" for me by my real name. :)
You know we're fine with that. :)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just glad some of the names The Wife calls me won't be posted on the forum.
There could probably be a whole thread just on those names.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

MattL

Booting up
Skier
Agreed! I still have a hard time matching real names to screen names/faces over at the other place. (sorry if I offended anyone lol). ; -)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, using my almost real name here. o_O
I agree, I like it better. Makes it easier to get to know people, I think.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hrm, I've now created a "first last" and also this user ... but I'm going to stick with this one. I am to my knowledge literally the only person in the world with my first + last ... that's just a wee bit too transparent.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

This. I should probably have read the disclaimers a bit more when creating my account. I have no issue with using my first name but need to keep professional privacy for my business

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This. I should probably have read the disclaimers a bit more when creating my account. I have no issue with using my first name but need to keep professional privacy for my business
We'll just call you Scots :D

DeAnn Sloan

ACLs are overrated.
Skier

We all know who you are anyway, @SkiNurse!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll just call you Scots :D

:DCall me what you like, just don't call me late for lunch.....

Too funny actually, so many people think Scot is my name rather than nationality!!!:rolleyes:

Scots is good (as is Scotch) or Ray is also good.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While I've used my real name in the past I'm moving away from it for mostly professional reasons where I can so I've registered under my same Epic name.

DeAnn Sloan

ACLs are overrated.
Skier
As long as all pictures are in good taste (ahem, @Philpug), I'm happy with my real name. The joy of not teaching any longer is that I am less concerned about my online presence. As long as it's SFW, I'm in good shape. But to each his/her own.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm also in the camp of wishing to remain anonymous for personal and professional reasons. I do have some accountability to "tball" as that's my real nickname from college (IM softball pitcher ;) and will happily answer to that skiing so you don't have to remember two names which I agree is a PIA.

I think there is great value in allowing folks to remain anonymous. Like many I know, I value my privacy and choose to not participate on FB for that reason while I'll happily do so on forums anonymously. And... I'd have to be even more boring if I posted online as my real self. :)

Sponsor

Staff online