• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have an old-school Spyder outfit with stretch pants and a top that's mostly sweater-like with pads on the arms. If it's not too cold, I'll wear that one (or with a vest if it's colder)...

I had a lesson day with a gal at DV who was a former USST race coach. After getting me to my first gold medal that didn't feel like a fluke, she asked if I wanted a speed secret, so of course I said sure! The conversation went something like this:

Sue: Give me your jacket (my Volcom tie-dye jacket).
Me: What?
Sue: Trust me, you won't get cold and I'll be at the bottom of the course.
Me: Seriously?
Sue: Yes.
Me: Ohhhh-kay....

Ran the course, 1.5 seconds faster!!! :thumb:

Ya, one race a year or two ago on the NASTAR site there was an * disclaimer that the pace setter wore a jacket.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya, one race a year or two ago on the NASTAR site there was an * disclaimer that the pace setter wore a jacket.

At the pacesetter trials, they have the pacesetter do runs both in a suit and with a coat. The pacesetting handicaps are different for each category (obviously the coat is higher!)

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I'm going to be in Park City between Feb 11th and Feb 18th, skiing the 12th through the 17th, if anybody on the PugSki.com NASTAR team wants to join me and see if we can scare up some points, send me a message. Depending on when I get there, I might ski on the 11th at PCMR and if I get there early enough in the day maybe hit the course there. Sunday the 12th I'm at DV for an all-day lesson with an instructor I've skied with before, I want to focus on racing (PugSki team race clinic maybe?) but if it's a pow day then all bets are off. Back at PCMR Monday the 13th and Tuesday the 14th, then at DV from the 15th through the 17th. Cheryl will be flying up on the evening of the 14th, but she's always willing to send me off for an hour or two so I'll definitely want to hit the course all three days if possible. One thing I love about DV is the free ski storage, perfect for stashing the race planks to make a couple of quick runs down the course then swap them back for whatever the fun ski du jour might be...

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks CBK! Up until my wife and I were the only ones who had results...........and mine so far are pretty mediocre. The excuses are endless! ogsmile

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Thanks! Back at DV tomorrow, will hit NASTAR there and see how I do. Head i.SL RD skis are ready to go! It will be interesting to see how aerodymanic I am in my Scot Schmidt Starter Kit (*) since it's Throwback Thursday...

(*) Yellow/Black NorthFace 1 piece...

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Two NASTAR runs today, dropped 7 points off my handicap (now 38), another silver medal. Ran the Heads, suit was apparently aerodynamic enough!

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Oooh! Oooh! I'll mention to anybody considering NASTAR racing at Park City, if you have an Epic pass of some sort or another you can do unlimited NASTAR runs for FREE!!! (Or, I should say, included with your pass...) If you want the actual medal (assuming you get one, no medals for just participating), it's $5. Since the medals are new and shiny, of course I had to get one... :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Still going to check and see if Timberline 4S has NASTAR this Saturday. Forecast looks like rain and they are also having a Telemark clinic and Telemark race. That doesn't bode well for NASTAR being up and running at the same time..

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, we could use more scores. At this point we are #944 out of 2779 teams so we're roughly in the top 3rd but.................ogsmile
I certainly haven't the skill but can offer another's wisdom: George Bush said, after recollecting on his first grade report card of all "A's" ...: "don't peak too early"

one of my favorite quotes ...

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I'll be back up in PC two weeks from today (arrive the 11th of March, ski 12th - 17th...) Any PugSki race team members want to join me, let's rack up some points!!! :thumb:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We came, we raced, we crashed and burned trying to eek out a silver. Still got up and finished the course faster them my 14 year old @Chance of Snow. Alas, but @Older boot got silver. Need to get him added to our team.. Fun stuff. May get another.run in tomorrow before we hit the road

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Well, still not my best effort, jello legs but I was still 1 out of 7 in my age group...

Still in the top 30% for Family/Friends teams, thanks for your contribution! Week after next, I get another shot at adding to the points. Go Team Pugski.com!!! :yahoo:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January