• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I'm really clueless about the teams. Glad @Johnny V. knows the ropes.
What's the difference between a friends and family team or club team other than the points that get picked?

From the NASTAR site:

NASTAR participants can be members of three different teams: 1) Family/Friends Team 2) Club Team 3) Resort Team

The Family/Friends Team is for small teams with the top six point gainers scoring points for their team.

The Club Team is for larger groups of racers and allows for ski clubs or other groups to compete as a team. The top 15 point gainers from each Club Team are used to calculate the team score.

The Resort Team is for participants that would like to represent their favorite resort. The top 20 point gainers from each Resort Team are used to calculate the team score.

Then at Nationals, Friends and Family teams don't need to qualify, but can choose to race as a team. (Steamboat, March 23-26, 2017):

Teams are scored using the NASTAR handicap system to level the playing field for all team members. Each team member scores points for their team based on the handicap they earn in their age and gender group. The NASTAR Handicap Chart shows the handicap needed in each age & gender category to earn a particular number of team points (click on Enlarge Photo to view the NASTAR Handicap Chart).

FAMILY TEAM: The top THREE point gainers from each Family Team will be used to score points for their team. The number of team points earned by these top point gainers are added together and divided by three to get the final Team Score (e.g. a perfect team score would be 10 points).

FRIENDS TEAM: The top FOUR point gainers from each Friends Team will be used to score points for their team. The number of team points earned by these top point gainers are added together and divided by four to get the final Team Score (e.g. a perfect team score would be 10 points).

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
I'd encourge everyone who has the opportunity to try NASTAR. Running gates is a great way to improve your overall skiing.

Since 2004 I've only missed attending one Nationals (broken ribs). I'll be at Steamboat again this year.and hope to see many of you out there. I'm committed to TeamOkemo so I can't join Pugski but I'll wish you luck.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I signed up. I haven't raced in a while. But there may be opportunities this upcoming season. Pugski.com will be my team, should I venture into the gates again. I'm currently purchasing race skis. But I'm not going to put that spandex suit on this season, so my results may not be so great. If it's warm enough, I'll shed the jacket for my runs.

Hoo-Ahh!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My race skis aren't the same ones I stand on the podium with. But they might be the same ones I use in the terrain park..

Newer style jackets aren't as aero obstructive as old puffers are. If you've got a fairly tight fitting shell no need to take it off. Anything with thick lining could slow you down a little bit..

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A great thing about NASTAR is that pretty much anyone can ski the courses. I've been on NASTAR courses for quite a few years and most of the people I've raced with were not dedicated racers. Very few wore suits or were on race skis. They were just skiers trying something new, trying to get some more gates run, working on personal records, or just having fun. Some were really accomplished racers, they're really something to see and try to emulate. A few bucks will get you a timed run or two. Caution: Engaging in NASTAR may be habit forming! It has been for me.

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Sort of off topic, but last year NASTAR had all of the issues with the scoring/timing system. Assuming that all of those kinks are worked out, when do the races usually start?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Assuming USSA doesn't try to change things again this year (and after last year's fiasco they probably wont), I'd say mid-late December at the earliest depending on snow conditions. Our beer league and Masters races start the first week of January.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone in Southern NH racing in the 'Mighty' McIntyre Tuesday night league?

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
NASTAR! And since I turn 60 this year, I get a better handicap!!!

And, of course, I'll make it a point to join Team PugSki as well!!!!! :thumb::thumb:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
NASTAR! And since I turn 60 this year, I get a better handicap!!!

And, of course, I'll make it a point to join Team PugSki as well!!!!! :thumb::thumb:
... And I just requested my old registration be merged with the new one as I joined Team PugSki.com!!! Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pug: :beercheer::yahoo::daffy:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
My race skis aren't the same ones I stand on the podium with. But they might be the same ones I use in the terrain park..

Newer style jackets aren't as aero obstructive as old puffers are. If you've got a fairly tight fitting shell no need to take it off. Anything with thick lining could slow you down a little bit..

I have an old-school Spyder outfit with stretch pants and a top that's mostly sweater-like with pads on the arms. If it's not too cold, I'll wear that one (or with a vest if it's colder)...

I had a lesson day with a gal at DV who was a former USST race coach. After getting me to my first gold medal that didn't feel like a fluke, she asked if I wanted a speed secret, so of course I said sure! The conversation went something like this:

Sue: Give me your jacket (my Volcom tie-dye jacket).
Me: What?
Sue: Trust me, you won't get cold and I'll be at the bottom of the course.
Me: Seriously?
Sue: Yes.
Me: Ohhhh-kay....

Ran the course, 1.5 seconds faster!!! :thumb:

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As they say when the 40+ category race at our club "Viewer discretion advised"

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
A great thing about NASTAR is that pretty much anyone can ski the courses. I've been on NASTAR courses for quite a few years and most of the people I've raced with were not dedicated racers. Very few wore suits or were on race skis. They were just skiers trying something new, trying to get some more gates run, working on personal records, or just having fun. Some were really accomplished racers, they're really something to see and try to emulate. A few bucks will get you a timed run or two. Caution: Engaging in NASTAR may be habit forming! It has been for me.

Good to know! A bit too early for me, as I am still in the steep part of the learning curve. But I do think racing is a great way to improve. Where do folks running Nastar actually practice gates?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like I'm the only one with results so far and I sat out the first two weeks of our beer league because of a sprained knee.

Good to know! A bit too early for me, as I am still in the steep part of the learning curve. But I do think racing is a great way to improve. Where do folks running Nastar actually practice gates?

Best way is just run NASTAR-at most places you can pay a set amount for unlimited runs per day.

Sponsor

Staff online