• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What a great opportunity. I'd love to go, but I currently fail the skills requirement - linking fluid turns in double black terrain.

With that said, and following up on the Pugski Worldwide suggestion early in the post, I would be keenly interested in a Chile trip in the (north american) summer of 2019 or 20. This is especially true if there were a family friendly option, which I will loosely define as some kind of resort-centered base camp or camps with ski touring/back country/guided day trips available as a package of excursions, for lack of a better term. With school-aged kids of mixed ski ability, and a spouse who adores the mountains but isn't a skier per se, some option similar to this would tick all the boxes and prevent a situation where dad (or mom - your situation may vary) disappears for a couple weeks to an exotic locale while leaving the family behind.

If something like the above is ever in the cards, or could be designed as a hybrid version of an existing or planned trip, I am 100% in. Also, I would be happy to assist with information gathering, planning, and/or logistics as necessary or desired.

I would think that either Nevado de Chillian or Portillo would fit your family needs from the research I have done.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Sorry I didn't intend to be negative. Just I've done a lot of travel around the world and for me a lot of the fun is working it out for myself .
Same here. The "working it out" is a big part of the fun of globetrotting.

That said, "a bit" of hand-holding initially often helps to smooth out the learning process.

I think the big difference is whether one goes for the skiing, or the traveling. If it were for the traveling and experiencing a different culture, "working it out" is a must. But for pour skiing and powder hunting, fully guided trip will be more efficient

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If I hadn't just moved and have to pay for two kids in a full time race program, I'd be so all over this☹️
I feel your pain. What I still owe for medical bills=cost of Japan trip. It just is not a possibility THIS season. :ogcool:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I didn't intend to be negative. Just I've done a lot of travel around the world and for me a lot of the fun is working it out for myself e.g. landing in Beijing in the 90s with nothing more than a rucksack, guidebook, visa and a plane ticket home in 2 weeks.

Back in the 90s before we were parents my wife and I bought Eurorail passes and explored the Alps -- some of the most fun we have had.

I remember jumping on a bus in Igls and just holding out a handful of coins and the bus driver picked out what he needed (we didn't speak German).

We would get off the train in cool villages and find a hotel on the spot.

It was summer time but we did ski on the Stubai Glacier.

Last edited:

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
You're killing me. Sadly, don't think I can swing it this year.

No worries coskigirl, save the date for 2019 and we'll try and if all goes well this upcoming winter, we'll try and get the dates and costs figured out much earlier. Hopefully sometime in April 2018 we'll have our 2019 Japan and Pugski trip ready to go.......

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
You forgot to list Sushi and Sake in the "not included" $s list.

Sounds like a great time though..

Definitely plenty of opportunity for that. We try and eat out most nights and show you different places. There's decent (and very inexpensive!) sushi places in both Furano and Otaru (I'm not a big sushi eater but even I found sushi that I liked). Hot and cold sake too...... I personally love the beer at the Otaru brewing company, it's really good!

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Just a heads up, but there are no gratuities in Japan. $10 /$15 is a pretty shy meal budget for much other than the convenience store. ogsmile

Thanks for the message Mark. Those aren't exaggerated prices in my opinion, that's what we've found to be a reasonable rate. If you add drinks in there, then yes, the price will definitely go higher. But for a decent cafeteria style meal at any of the Otaru or Furano area resorts, then $8 to $12 for lunch goes a long way. Dinners are also very reasonable too if you go to the smaller places in old Furano town or anywhere in Otaru. I've come out absolutely stuffed at the sushi train in old Furano for around $14. If you go for the higher grade plates, then you can spend more, but those prices are pretty consistent with what I've been spending the last 2 years. I love the 7-11 and Lawsons for road trip snacks, we definitely like to stop there for second breakfast or linner.......
Regards.
Matt

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
What a great opportunity. I'd love to go, but I currently fail the skills requirement - linking fluid turns in double black terrain.

With that said, and following up on the Pugski Worldwide suggestion early in the post, I would be keenly interested in a Chile trip in the (north american) summer of 2019 or 20. This is especially true if there were a family friendly option, which I will loosely define as some kind of resort-centered base camp or camps with ski touring/back country/guided day trips available as a package of excursions, for lack of a better term. With school-aged kids of mixed ski ability, and a spouse who adores the mountains but isn't a skier per se, some option similar to this would tick all the boxes and prevent a situation where dad (or mom - your situation may vary) disappears for a couple weeks to an exotic locale while leaving the family behind.

If something like the above is ever in the cards, or could be designed as a hybrid version of an existing or planned trip, I am 100% in. Also, I would be happy to assist with information gathering, planning, and/or logistics as necessary or desired.

G'day Jeff,
Thanks for the message. Yes, I think that's something we can look at for next summer. I'm leaving on the 6th of August for 3 weeks in Nevados de Chillan to run a small program down there. I'd love to expand our operation there in 2019 and think that we could have a pretty diverse operation there. I'd like to go beyond the traditional guiding/sidecountry style trips we normally offer and include skier and snowboarder improvement groups (for all abilities) and we could have a family group program as well tagged on to the main Pugski group. Make sure you follow the current Nevados de Chillan blog at https://forum.pugski.com/threads/chile-2017-nevados-de-chillan.5136/ to get a feel for place and what we could do. I'd like to have our 2018 Chile program figured out in September, so we can definitely keep in touch and work something out.

- Matt

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I can't do this this time around, but I am very glad to see that trips like this will be happening. :)

Cheers RachelV,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the focus of these trips is to take people to the more off the beaten path locations, I'm glad you like the style of what we are doing. I'm definitely not trying to compete with the Gatherings, this will be a different style of trip. I appreciate and respect the fact that many people enjoy the adventure and would rather try and put the trip together themselves. I can definitely relate to that, sometimes diving in head first and figuring it all out for yourself can be more rewarding! But for those that have always been curious about going overseas but might not have the time or the inclination to put together the logistics themselves, then we are going to make it very easy for you and take care of all of that. I'm always on the lookout for the next under the radar location, places that have quality snow, terrain and offer the potential for cultural immersion. My hope is to take Pugski followers to places that most Western resort skiers don't know much about. We'll see how this adventure plays out!
Regards,
Matt

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Ah, the good old #5 double! Much of my first fumbling (and tumbling) attempts at powder came at Kamui, and don't forget the skiing St Bernards!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No worries coskigirl, save the date for 2019 and we'll try and if all goes well this upcoming winter, we'll try and get the dates and costs figured out much earlier. Hopefully sometime in April 2018 we'll have our 2019 Japan and Pugski trip ready to go.......

Alas I'll be using my snorkel to keep me from drowning in law school in 2019. But I'm all over it in 2023!

Last edited:

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Ah, the good old #5 double! Much of my first fumbling (and tumbling) attempts at powder came at Kamui, and don't forget the skiing St Bernards!

Yes Jim, love the terrain to the side of that chair..... we had some epic days there this past season. Those back bowls, though they are short and the traverse out is nearly as long, were awesome last season (as they were in 2016 too). We had a couple of epic days in there. 1 day the forecast called for 13cm's and it was thigh deep (see previous photo). Didn't see the skiing St. Bernards unfortunately, but we did (well my buddy Gordon did) experience the "King of Kamui!" That's a silver platter heaped with rice, curry, eggs and breaded pork cutlets on top. What a feast (only about $16) and that was enough food for 3 people. Gordon nearly polished it off by himself (with a little help from a couple of others). He had quite the shock when they passed that over the counter to him!

DSC04700.JPG
The King of Kamui, the lunch special at Kamui Ski Links. If you are hungry and won't be eating for another week, this is the meal for you! Good luck skiing after that....

- Matt

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Also, the day lodge cafe has the best hot chocolate this side of Lech!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown, you'll have a blast!!!

Otaru is a charming seaport, definitely worth walking around shopping district and fish market. There is a prominently located sushi bar (Tori ton?) in town, conveyer belt style, very fresh and good value. And uni fan? Hokkaido uni is the holy grail.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/travel/in-japan-searching-for-prized-sea-urchins.html

I had a blast skiing Tengu one afternoon/evening with my nephew and niece. We went a fantastic onsen nearby afterwards which also serves amazingly authentic and delicious South Indian curry and naan on site will have to look up the name.

LOVE Furano and Tomamu!!! Missed Kamui, it seems to have such mixed review.

Regarding tipping, not in Japanese establishments. However, western guests of local Western tour guide companies do routinely tip.

@Mattadvproject, I remember many westerners on Furano gondola wearing airbag packs. Do have any recommendation for your clients?

Perhaps I can overlap a few days with you guys on my trip as I'm due to visit family in Sapporo next Jan/Feb.

Last edited:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I didn't intend to be negative. Just I've done a lot of travel around the world and for me a lot of the fun is working it out for myself e.g. landing in Beijing in the 90s with nothing more than a rucksack, guidebook, visa and a plane ticket home in 2 weeks.

Some adventuresome folks thrive on planning own trips. It's totally doable for $175-200 daily all-inclusive without guide in more modest accommodation.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think the big difference is whether one goes for the skiing, or the traveling. If it were for the traveling and experiencing a different culture, "working it out" is a must. But for pour skiing and powder hunting, fully guided trip will be more efficient

I think that's a great point. For general traveling, I don't have much interest in organized trips... but for skiing, I can totally see going for something like this. My main goal is the skiing, and anything that can help make the process easier and more efficient is probably worth it.

I'll admit, this trip is out of my price range, but damn it sounds like a lot of fun.

Sponsor

Staff online