• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The reviews are coming out, ours started in the Spring and we have more coming. What do you think about Powder Mag's selection HERE.

Their list:
Nordica Enforcer 93
Salomon QST106
Moment Meridian
J Skis Masterblaster
Elan Ripstick 106
Head Collective 105
Volkl Confession
Blizzard ZeroG 108
Black Crowes Corvus
Atomic Backlands FR109
Rossignol Super7 HD

Interesting list with only two under 100 underfoot, not necessarily our core demographics but interesting none the less. There are some great questions that the list raises...Why the Enforcer 93 and not the 100? Is it because they were doing best new skis? The QST106 but not the 96 or 116? Backlands FR109 and not the 102?

michael

Skier
My wife doesn't ski, but forwarded me this list yesterday. I married right. When I saw the magazine name and article title my first comment was "well, all of these will be too wide for me". lol

I was unclear whether it was just new skis or "the best" skis (which is the article's title)... the article notes 55 honorable mentions that could be found in the "gear locker" (I looked, but didn't see anything). Also mentioned was that they tested 200 skis - would that be a typical number of entirely new skis in one season?

I am, however, excited about the Enforcer 93. Also, I think the QST line will be 92, 99, 106 and 116 waist widths or am I reading outdated material?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I can't really opine on the merits of each. But are these supposed to be all mountain, do it all skis? It seems so ...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm i look at that list and absolutely nothing stands out as I MUST try that. Corvus isn't a new ski - it's been a Euro standard for years - maybe just reflecting the push into the US market.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife doesn't ski, but forwarded me this list yesterday. I married right. When I saw the magazine name and article title my first comment was "well, all of these will be too wide for me". lol

I was unclear whether it was just new skis or "the best" skis (which is the article's title)... the article notes 55 honorable mentions that could be found in the "gear locker" (I looked, but didn't see anything). Also mentioned was that they tested 200 skis - would that be a typical number of entirely new skis in one season?

I am, however, excited about the Enforcer 93. Also, I think the QST line will be 92, 99, 106 and 116 waist widths or am I reading outdated material?
Our group gets on well over 100 skis in a season, we don't end up reporting on all of them and I would be remiss to say some of them we get on more than once for different reasons, the ski just skied bad and we knew it should be better and it was probably the tune, or we liked it so much we had to ski it again. Since you are relatively new here, let me direction you over to the "The Biased Unbiased Review" .

michael

Skier
@Philpug - been there, read that & liked it. :)

Sorry for the confusion... my question above was with regard to whether or not 200 was a typical number of entirely new, did not exist last year skis? The Powder Magazine article indicated that number and since we were wondering if they meant "new", it seemed a possible way to answer the question.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
oooohh, that Backland 109......:thumb:
I can't speak for the version you skied but the women's version was......holy wow!! :drool:

Reactions: Ron

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ , all joking aside, really this is why people come here to talk skiing and ski gear. There is a really good chance that one of our ski testers in the Women's category have been on a ski you may be interested in. You can also read the thumbnail reviews of those of us who have been on the skis and discern what may interest you. Then you can have a direct conversation with any(or all) of us and get a closer idea.

The interesting thing I see about the Powder Gear Guide is that its sponsored by EVO who has a "buy now" button for each ski that is tested.

Another nice thing about Pugski is that we have three primary shops who participate here and will give you an idea what they have and (again) you can talk directly to them to get the best deal on the best ski for you.
Its not a "buy now" button but in some ways its better.
@SkiEssentials @dawgcatching @Tim Hedin @Gerry Rhoades

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another difference between Powder, Ski, Skiing, XXXX Magazine, and other on-line sites and here is that on Pugski, you can interact with the reviews. Our reviews are not static. With any other site, you have no communication with the people who test their skis. Have you skied with them? Have they skied with you? Sure some might be world class ex-racers or top level instructors or guides how can any of them help you make the best decision for you?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ , all joking aside, really this is why people come here to talk skiing and ski gear. There is a really good chance that one of our ski testers in the Women's category have been on a ski you may be interested in. You can also read the thumbnail reviews of those of us who have been on the skis and discern what may interest you. Then you can have a direct conversation with any(or all) of us and get a closer idea.

The interesting thing I see about the Powder Gear Guide is that its sponsored by EVO who has a "buy now" button for each ski that is tested.

Another nice thing about Pugski is that we have three primary shops who participate here and will give you an idea what they have and (again) you can talk directly to them to get the best deal on the best ski for you.
Its not a "buy now" button but in some ways its better.
@SkiEssentials @dawgcatching @Tim Hedin @Gerry Rhoades
I know, it's awesome to be able to interact. Plus, you can start to discern over time who you might have similar tastes with.

All good points!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- questions that the list raises...Why the Enforcer 93 and not the 100? Is it because they were doing best new skis?
Still top dog in SKI mag.
SKI magazine "Best in Test"

Men's Mixed Snow East:
Enforcer 93, with a side note to also consider Enforcer 100 not too wide for the East. Kastle MX88 and Stockli SR 95 ranked 9th and 10th of 12 skis.
Mixed Snow West:
Enforcer 100, side note to consider the 93.
Men's Groomer Best in Test:
Head Supershape i.Rally along with and followed by Volkl RTM 84 UVO as a second ski given Best in Test status. Stockli Laser AX placed 3rd and Kastle MX 84 5th of 9 skis.

Women's Mixed Snow East Best in Test:
Rossi Temptation 88. Nordica Santa Ana 93 took 3rd with a side note that stronger women may love the men's version, "it's not a beast". Stockli Stormrider 85 Motion placed 6th of 9 skis.
Women's Mixed West Best in Test:
Blizzard Samba. StoclkiStormrider 100 motion took 2nd place,
Rossi Sky 7 HD W 3rd place .
Nordica Santa Ana 100 4th.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What I never understand is when a ski has never been mentioned in the previous season, but after some new graphic technology, makes it into the cool ski ranks. Yes, there are examples of this in this group of skis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online