• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Here you go @James
20160303_142832.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like pictures.
"Skier's Thumb," torn ulnar collateral ligament:
MOI.jpg

Game Keeper's Thumb = Skier's Thumb
Evidently in the past game keepers, by repetitively wringing the necks of birds between their thumb and index finger, produced a similar injury.
GameKeeperslabel.jpg

QFT

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the instinct to hold the pole vs release the pole when falling. Anything that promotes not having the pole in the hand when falling is going to reduce the likelihood of a UCL injury. The Sabre grip specifically keeps the hand on the pole so is not good for reducing UCL injury. Holding the pole with the strap coming over the top will similarly keep the pole in the hand.

This video shows how to use a pole strap to reduce the risk of a UCL injury:

This video shows how to use a pole strap to increase the risk of a UCL injury.

James

Out There
Instructor
As another data point, the couple of people I know who crossed over from snowboarding instinctively always ditch the poles because poles feel weird compared to falling on their fists or hands. So that's the other path, go snowboard for a season and practice falling without poles.
Broken wrists are quite common with snowboarders.

Phil brings up a good point on swing weight. Swing weight is really what matters and you have to try them to know. I had those Goode pencil thin carbon poles which were light but didn't feel nearly as nice as some more balanced but heavier poles. I did have the Goode bent like a fishing rod once in the Cirque at Snowmass. Clinging to it when I lost one ski.

New strap style from Salomon. Anyone try?
s3_safetystrap.png

salomon-hacker-s3.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ya. Swing weight. It is the first thing I check with a pole. How does it feel right when I swing it?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@James -- I spent some time at SIA this year monkeying with the Solly poles. I liked them and they seemed simple. And appeared to function.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Like @Doug Briggs, swing weight is the first thing I look for in a pole. Take a look at the trendy bamboo poles...Grasssticks and Soul Poles. Even though these poles look similar, they are vastly different in feel. The Soul Poles are significantly heavier at the extremities than the Grasssticks which actually do not feel any different than a traditional aluminium pole.

Next thing I look at is the grips. Skiers with smaller hands or prefer a mitten might like the grip on the left which has a just the pointer finger pocket as compared to the left one that has for all 4 fingers, which witk a smaller hand could spread the fingers out uncomfortably.
IMG_0930.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
If you're looking for interesting colors, Volkl has quite a nice selection of decent aluminum poles.

Camo top sheet? :nono:
If based on razzle dazzle camo it could be cool.
DazzleFashion.jpg

Do the poles fit in the trunk?
Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_James_Bond_1981.jpg

Roger Moore, 1981

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my dad a pink set of poles once, he didn't take it with the humor I thought he would :eek:, Great poles just pink.

:) I got to admit, I liked these pink kermas!. It was bright bubble gum pink rather than a "pretty" pink of course. In fact my Vielhaber Interski GS skis in 1976 had a top sheet that was white with a similar one inch bubble gum pink stripe down the full length!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump and a shout out to Andrew at Grass Sticks!

I called with a question, he answered, I ordered a set of poles (Green grips and Blue baskets, with a set of the small black baskets). He emailed back:

“Hey David,

Great speaking with you on the phone today. Thanks for the feedback from Pug Ski, its great to know how the word gets out there.

I'm writing to let you know that I've refunded you $3.45 because there was a cheaper shipping option available. You'll see it back on your card in under a week. Thanks for your order, we'll get your poles built soon!

Cheers,
Andrew Beckler
Founder”

Sponsor

Staff online