• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Upon finding out that rental "class" poles can be purchased for ~$1.50 a set, the idea of spending $$ on poles has become... harder to stomach.

I suggest start cheap. Lost and found level, if you can.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
By all means start out with cheap poles and good for anyone who likes their rental chic set. Still, I unabashedly love my LEKI Carbon Trigger S poles. They come into the lodge with me. It's more about the trigger interface than the carbon. Really the only thing I notice about the carbon poles is that they aren't freezing if I stick them under me on the lift.

James

Out There
Instructor
Depends what you're doing with the poles. If you need to beat snow off kids boots you want aluminum not carbon and probably not bamboo. Lighter is certainly nicer. Scott has one of the nicest to tighten straps on their race poles. I just picked up another pair at 50% off.
Start collecting poles and try to get an adjustable one. The 90 deg elbow thing was apparently passed down to Moses. No one really wants to hear differently.

You want one where you can fit the top of the grip in the palm of your hand. Any race pole will meet that requirement. Some have enormous tops. That keeps them out of your eye but is bad for walking uphill, skating etc.

There are a few unacceptable poles. One Rossi branded pole I rented once was so flexible it set up a standing wave everytime you touched the snow. It was horrible.

Edit: Carbon poles can have handles that are glued on and difficult or impossible to get off. That 52 inch carbon at the ski swap for $40 might not work out. Some shops don't want to bother as it's a lot of time and no one wants to pay for it.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Depends what you're doing with the poles. If you need to beat snow off kids boots you want aluminum not carbon and probably not bamboo. Lighter is certainly nicer. Scott has one of the nicest to tighten straps on their race poles. I just picked up another pair at 50% off.
Start collecting poles and try to get an adjustable one. The 90 deg elbow thing was apparently passed down to Moses. No one really wants to hear differently.

You want one where you can fit the top of the grip in the palm of your hand. Any race pole will meet that requirement. Some have enormous tops. That keeps them out of your eye but is bad for walking uphill, skating etc.

There are a few unacceptable poles. One Rossi branded pole I rented once was so flexible it set up a standing wave everytime you touched the snow. It was horrible.

Edit: Carbon poles can have handles that are glued on and difficult or impossible to get off. That 52 inch carbon at the ski swap for $40 might not work out. Some shops don't want to bother as it's a lot of time and no one wants to pay for it.

soaking the pole handle in rubbing alcohol will get them off

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not much to add to this, but my own observation that if you plan on running the occational GS course, chances are gates will knock the baskets off the "simpler" builds. Needless to say, risk increases with the width of the basket. Happened to me a few times. Not a biggie, just make sure you can replace them. Non-issue if you never plan to ski a race course.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I have a few pair. Don't use the expensive LEKI triggers much. Yes I catch grief from my ski pals for using cheap bent jr poles. No worries about thieves and still get around ok.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had 2 pair of carbon Scott poles stolen off the rack. Jibbers, I'm sure as they were short. I don't spend a lot of money on poles since that second pair went missing. Ski swaps are usually a good place to look, but not in Florida I suspect.
I'm betting that your poles were stolen at Mt Ste Anne. Its the only place I have ever had poles stolen, and multiple times!! Its like there were 3prs less poles than there were skiers!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I have a hard time finding much of a difference between a $50 pole and a $100 one but there is a significant difference between a $5 pole and a $50 one. It's nice to say you like cheap poles but I had to ski with rental poles and while it didn't ruin my day, I did notice their weight and general clumsiness. I like the middle range Scotts too, they have nice simple grips and straps that are easy to adjust to glove size (and I have XXL gloves) and compact baskets that don't get knocked around. They've become harder to find but they're my brand preference. Lekis, Komperdell, any of the good brand names are fine too, just get them on sale

I have three pair, all slightly different heights over a 3 inch range, if I feel like I've been in the backseat I'll use the shorter pair. If I know I'll be poling and skating (heavy snow) I'll use the taller ones. If I ever get decisive I stop have a tube cutter and they're built traditionally so even I can get the handles off successfully.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm betting that your poles were stolen at Mt Ste Anne. Its the only place I have ever had poles stolen, and multiple times!! Its like there were 3prs less poles than there were skiers!

Nope, top of Tremblant. I now have a pair of Gabel carbon's, but they say bel as they were cut off. Love the Chelsea Rep's. $ 35/pair at the sale.

James

Out There
Instructor
The racing style small basket can be better in slush as the snow falls off easier. It also doesn't hold much. Bigger baskets can hold quite a bit of weight of spring snow.

LEKI drives me crazy with their system which I refuse to be chained too. How ridiculous can they make this sport? One needs a helmet liner because most helmets now are freezing, and you need two pieces of bondage wear attached to your gloves just to hold your poles. What's next, strapping each ski to your leg so it windmills against your body when you fall? Oh wait, we went through that already...

I believe @Ron has gotten the info on whether the LEKI system is any safer for your hand/thumb.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
the issue with most poles is non releasable straps...

I use to ski woods all the time with out unstrapping my poles, never had an issue. But now I have some releasable strap Salomon which I feel are superior to the other option because the straps function like a normal strap going on and off, unlike the LEKI with is silly little harness around your gloves..

All my Scotts are 'strapless'... won't (resort) ski with strapped poles!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My first set of poles that I purchased 31 years ago are still straight and in great shape. 135 Kerma Gold Team Race. The new pole is a 135 Gebel World Cup Race pole with a trigger Grip and Strap also straight and great shape.

Before anyone comments on length, l like them long, I've tried shorter poles (correct modern length for my size) just to see if I can get used to them (was the intent to cut the Gebels).....Nope!!!! Too many years with long poles to adjust to that change.

IMHO there are just as many benefits and negatives for long poles as there are for short, so it really comes down to personal preference and which has the least negative impact in how you ski. For me, shorter poles mess with my start of the run and as a result throws off all timing for the rest of the run. All the negatives talked about long poles don't occur for me as I'm so used to them and how they are used adapts to modern skis and technique without a negative impact. Personal.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
All my Scotts are 'strapless'... won't (resort) ski with strapped poles!

yeah then you pole touch will throw off your skiing.......since you have to move you whole arms instead of just your wrist. moving your whole arms will rotates your upper body, making you out of balance as you swing your pole(and arm) into the next turn.

If I am wrong a simple video of you skiing will prove I am wrong.

My resort poles have releasable straps. Proper strap usage is key to objectively better skiing if you are going to use poles. With out straps all people would ski better with out any poles at all, that way the upper body doesnt get in the way of the correct movements for skiing.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My first set of poles that I purchased 31 years ago are still straight and in great shape. 135 Kerma Gold Team Race. The new pole is a 135 Gebel World Cup Race pole with a trigger Grip and Strap also straight and great shape.

Before anyone comments on length, l like them long, I've tried shorter poles (correct modern length for my size) just to see if I can get used to them (was the intent to cut the Gebels).....Nope!!!! Too many years with long poles to adjust to that change.

IMHO there are just as many benefits and negatives for long poles as there are for short, so it really comes down to personal preference and which has the least negative impact in how you ski. For me, shorter poles mess with my start of the run and as a result throws off all timing for the rest of the run. All the negatives talked about long poles don't occur for me as I'm so used to them and how they are used adapts to modern skis and technique without a negative impact. Personal.

again all this talk and no video......

my guess is your drop your hands back on every run.......again a simple video will prove me wrong.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Josh, you may not realize that you sound like you're going on an unwarranted attack when you tell people their skiing sucks when you haven't even seen it, and when they didn't ask for your opinion (your two posts above to Bill Talbot and oldschoolskier).

You are concluding they are guilty until proven innocent when you ask them to prove they are with video. UnAmerican!

You might consider saying that doing those specific things with poles, in your experience, leads to specific problems, without pointing out who you are talking about, without telling them their skiing is suffering, and without asking for video from them to prove it isn't.

In other words, there's a way to share your information and experience while keeping it non-personal. Rule #1.

Last edited:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I wanna pay for a Josh private. I assume the whip and lashings are included?

Seriously though some people like tough straight talk because it sticks. How effect that is would be proven by a video... of a pay stub.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Josh Matta, when have I kicked your cat or killed your dog. This is the second time you've done this. Get your ego in check.

I like long poles, some like old strapless poles, you don't. All have valid reasons for doing so. And all may ski as good as you (or maybe better and that's what you are scared of ?).

Relax, have fun, make friends that's what this site is for.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The racing style small basket can be better in slush as the snow falls off easier. It also doesn't hold much. Bigger baskets can hold quite a bit of weight of spring snow.

I believe @Ron has gotten the info on whether the LEKI system is any safer for your hand/thumb.

thumb? Not at all, if anything, it holds the pole in the absolute perfect position for Skiers thumb (UCL tear) to occur during an outstretched arm, open hand fall. Discussed this with my OS hand doc.